Anyone attending the Art Show at the Dog Show in Wichita?

Several months ago, a friend and I were discussing our artistic goals for 2005. I, being foolish, said that my great artistic desire was to have a piece accepted at the Art Show at the Dog Show in Wichita, KS “some day.”

I stated this goal, out loud, to my friend with an excellent memory, without realizing that the deadline for 2005 entries had not been reached, and I would therefore be expected to make some effort at achieving said goal rather than merely nagging my friend to achieve hers.

I’m pleased, proud, and excited to say that my sole entry, a stoneware Afghan hound sculpture was accepted. I didn’t win any of the awards, but I’m still over the moon about the whole experience - this really was a case of the honor being in the nomination. Quite aside from the prestige of acceptance, I have many nostalgic memories of pouring through pictures of the winning entries in the AKC Gazette and my thoughts of “some day” turned out to be a little sooner than I expected. I couldn’t be happier.

I want nothing more than to be able to see the exhibits in person, but at this point in my life my chances of traveling to Wichita are about equal to my chances of walking on the moon. So, I was wondering if anyone in the area, or who might be attending the Sunflower Cluster dog shows, might be willing to take pictures for me? Digital, film, whatever - they don’t need to be artistic masterpieces, just something to give me a little bit of the flavor of the event, and hopefully my piece’s place therein. All the entries are currently on display at one of two local galleries (I can find out which venue mine is at) and will also be on display at the dog show proper.

I’ve tried all the dog show people, collectibles dealers, past purchasers of my work, and everyone else I could think of, to no avail. I now rely on the kindness of Dopers to see if maybe I can get a picture or two. E-mail me if you might be willing and able, and we’ll take it from there.

I can’t help you out, but I wanted to let you know that I think your Aghan hound is great! You’ve really captured the spirit of the breed. Beautiful work.

Auggh. For ‘Aghan’ hound in my post above, please read ‘Afghan’ hound. :smack:

Selkie, I live nowhere neat Wichita so I can’t help, but that is quite a sculpture! I know afghan hounds well, since one of them tried to eat me when I was little. But I’m not bitter toward the breed, and you did a swell job capturing it in stoneware. Congrats on being accepted into the show! Are those things anything like the film Best In Show? I’m a cat person myself, but I know art when I see it.