Anyone been here longer?

Click on your user name and then on the “Statistics” tab on your profile page.

I have you beat by a few months.

Only 40 people have been here longer than me.

Think I may have loaned Ed a power cord for one of the servers as it got lost in the move from AOL.

Yeah, me too. Though I think I started reading in late '99, early 2000 as a refugee from the left behind board…conflict…I ended up joining and staying here. :slight_smile:

My participation ebbs and flows though.

I’m Vintage '99 too. I was just telling my 17-year-old daughter yesterday that we used to think “1999” sounded so futuristic. (Remember some TV show with 1999 in the title? Space 1999 maybe?)

I’m a 99er, too, although you’d never guess it from my post count. 7-14-99, to be exact.

I was going to hope that I was the oldest Charter Member, but not even that.

:sigh:

Regards,
Shodan

I don’t get an URL anywhere when I hover over a username. :confused: (I’m using Safari - is there a method for Macs?). ETA - I think just going into my user’s profile gives me the number in the URL at the top of the page then.

Every time we do a thread like this, I think back to when I ran across the Straight Dope for the first time, probably about a year before I actually joined. Oh well.

I’ve been a member since '99. I’m an old-timer.

I always think of “Tonight we’re gonna party like it’s 1999” :smack:

I lurked for 25 years before I signed up.

I’ve been here longer than the OP. I would have joined in '99 if I knew it was going to be a thing.

How does one become a “Charter Member”?

Only by the grace of God. Seriously, you had to have started paying when the board went pay to post and have kept up the subscription for all the years after that. They aren’t making any more Charter Members.

I’ve been reading since 1998, but my join date was March 24, 1999.

The funny thing is, I did pay to post but then I lapsed my Charter member status, can’t remember when.

My original join date was 1999 under a different user name. I started out on alt.fan.cecil-adams then moved to the AOL board, then signed up when the AOL board moved to the web. Looking at history I seemed to have burned through two user names that were based on my RL name before I re-registered under my current name, can’t remember why.

My 12th anniversary came and went and I didn’t even notice.

May 11, 2000 for me. I started reading the board in 1999, but it took me 6 months to come up with a question, I guess!

On behalf of all us 2000ers, would you 99ers PLEASE stop with the bragging?!!

:smiley:

My original user number was 290. Never even knew there was such a thing until this thread :slight_smile: