Anyone for a game of Mornington Crescent?

…as I seem to have done in first raising the DLR question.

I have since googled on the Rule Shift applicability thereto - and have to admit I was completely unware of this ruling. My apologies to Michael of Lucan :blush:

So… Paddington, eh? Lot’s of strategic possibilities here, especially westwards I perceive.

I was tempted to luff up to Park Royal and see if anybody still plays in the Italian fashion, but the metagame is surely to try to exploit the number of very different styles in play here and probe for errors. An intermezzo is required so…

Neasden it is, I think!

No more back-and-forthy from me I trust you note. Oh, and I’m calling in light blue.

That’s just one step shy of entering the Dollis Hill Loop :eek:

Mrs Trellis has advised me to go Temple.

Well, that was sort of the whole point Tapioca Dextrin!

:Evil Grin:

I have to quietly admire **Temple ** as a response though. Solid, sensible and does exactly what it says on the tin.

But just like the opportunities to stumble into the Dollis Hill Loop, you have opened up - well I had better not say too much, should I? But Mark Lane 1946 ring any bells, anyone?

Green tokens and blue flags abounding, and Royal Oak to those with the wit to understand!

**Kings Cross, **
Green tokens unbounded

This is what, the third consecutive MC match on the Dope where someone asked about the DLR. Before last year, the MC irregulars here understood that the DLR was fully in play, no doubt about it. Then someone (the name escapes me for the moment) played 4 DLR moves in a row, crashing the train system. Since then, the DLR has never been a given.

Anyhow, time for the old standby. Morden, N-S vulnerable.

I’m at Holland Park and I just drew a card with pictures of sheep on it. What the heck is that?

Sheep? Who knew we were playing the Briston Variations?

Hmmm, with Briston in play I’ll defend the Victoria/Jubilee Gambit by playing East Acton, with stirrups reversed.

Fairlop

Playing one move without Mrs. Trellis’ advice is nerve wracking!

I’m glad that I waited to see if this game revived before playing my first move, because now that we are in holy week I can play Chalfont & Latimer without fear of reprisals. Of course, this also allows me to take up Wargamer on his offer of a flag of any colour back in post #18. Since then, the exchange rate on Mimian dollarpounds has moved in my favour, and this transaction therefore costs me only one blue token - I also collect £10, and furthermore the choice of where to play the token is mine, to be decided with my next move.

If any amateurs are watching, you needn’t feel too sorry for Wargamer - although on the face of it, it appears that he has been completely out-manoeuvred (however you spell it), in fact it is likely that I will pay dearly for my effrontery unless an early middlegame can be reached. However, arriving so late in a game of this standard, that is chance I will just have to take.

Well played Dead Cat, but did you take into account the recent Portugeuse default threat in calculating the Exchange Rate? That might make you wish you had gone straight to Whitechapel or perhaps St. Paul’s instead, since Holy Week exchanges are always tricky in a year preceding Leap Years.

I hope you have not overextended your credit with that play.

I’m not sure that Holy Week Rules apply under the Islington Standard - are you thinking of Edinburgh Revised, not IS?

I need clarity on this, as Holy Week Rules and multiple stirrups calls would imply that I could call MC immediately. I wish to reserve my right to do so pending clarification. This is a “four maggot” reservation of course, and without liability.

I got to Oxford Circus with only a rationing coupon, a receipt for the London Eye, and a pint of Newcastle Brown Ale, as the Marylebone Cricket Standard seems to be in effect, I appear to be out of the game before I even started.

Fortunately, I have pint of Newcastle Brown Ale.

Bwahahahahaha! It appears you have all gotten yourselves into a real pickle, it will be interesting to see who has the correct combination of twos and fours to get the game back to something resembling proper play.

Baker Street, and I’m not telling any of you why because I’m going to win this one, dammit.

(I’m bitter over having just finished second for the THIRD YEAR IN A ROW in the Sub-Federal Jurisdictions Beginning With O International Open. Some jerk from Canton won this year when I somehow played Embankment twice and choked the game away, and I don’t want to get into it, but I need a win right now.)

Doesn’t Baker Street put you in Nid for the next two turns? That’s a very odd (or highly cunning) strategy.

No need to tell any of us why, as you will all have seen in last months Jounal of the Latin American MC Society, RickJay is simply trying to avoid being stuck in the middle with you in a Circle Line reverse loop.

To avoid that insanity it is time to take a path less traveled

Mudchute

Heh, I am tkaing you right back to Baker Street because I can and on top of that I am throwing down green tabs across the Bakerloo line. (Official Rules of Monington Crescent ed. 22 Mid-term Addendum Sec 41-9 clause 4(a)(i))

:smack:
Should have seen that coming , stolen my wheels.
Well played

Just to clarify, I don’t think this is legal for that reason. I’m not asking you to take the move back because you can make it anyway with me being in Nids (we use the plural form on this side of the pond) and anytime a player within three previous moves is in Nids you can return to their move providing it doesn’t require a token and you’re not playing an airport line. So your move’s okay but not for the reason you describe.

Rule 41-9 is designed to allow green tabs to be used to cross lines in order to avoid loops; while this isn’t strictly elucidated upon in the rulebook, it was added in ed. 7 after the bloody events of the 1949 Australian Closed tournament in Melbourne, which ended in tears but convinced the IMCC to introduce 41-9 for an escape from recursive play, most notably, of course, Embankment.

Utilizing 41-9 (I acknowledge claused 4(a)(i) specifically cited green tabs bu the intent is clear) to make a recursive move, as opposed to avoiding one, was specifically cited by the European board in their censure of Mezsaros after his match win in Stockholm in 1965, and then was disallowed outright by the umpires during the 1974 South American championship when Garces tried it against Jiminez and Aldred; Garces ended up dying during that hunger strike, poor fellow, but he lost the appeal and it was upheld at the 1981 U.S. West Regionals and innumerable times since.

Again, I stress your move is legal because I’m in Nids, but Rule 41-9 is an awfully important one to get straight and it’s best explained before we get into some horrible argument. I’m not suggesting I’m the final authority here though; Bricker and I still can’t resolve our dispute about the Metropolitan Line issue, with him taking an originalist position and me arguing that they can’t possibly have meant for it to be THAT goddamned hard to get back to Shadwell.