Appalachian St over Michigan! Biggest college football upset ever?

The announcers from Appalachian were discussing this - maybe now the nation will pronounce the name right. None of this “App-uh-LAY-chun” crap.

S.I. dot com seems to think it was one of the best upsets ever.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/09/01/michigan.appalachianst.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

So, Michigan will drop from #5 to, what, #10?

For the ones that will check the game later:

[Spoiler]Michigan was ready to score a winning field goal, (the score was 34 to 32 App.) Appalachian St blocked the field goal

[/spoiler]

More like the 18-20 range

No shiite. And with UGA winning and Tennessee losing, it might be the most Perfect Football Saturday Ever.

As a Dawg fan, I liked the 33-3 GT-ND final, as it reminded me of the last time those two teams played to a similar score: 1980, when a crappy GT tied the then-#1 Notre Dame 3-3, allowing the Herschel-lead Dawgs to get to the top spot.

I definitely lol’d. In fact, I’m still lol’ing.

Bama takes another cupcake (W. Carolina) for 52-6 ride. Auburn just barely squeaks by K. State. Tennessee loses to Cal.

A very good Saturday. I might just have to have me another beer. :slight_smile:

Ah yes, and Jawja rolls. Not a bad showing for my beloved SEC so far. Fuck you, Tennessee! Mwaaaahahahahahahahaha!

People hate us, darling. At least we’re not Notre Dame or USC fans. Them’s the worst.
shudder

Hey, that was not a nice thing to say!..

… What do you mean “might”?? Get the other beer!.. :slight_smile:

Go Cal… :smiley:

I’m filled with such mixed emotions over this.

Firstly, HA! Suck on that Michigan! First game of the season and you’ve all but thrown away any possible national title.

Secondly, Sweet Zombie Jesus is the current college football system bullshit. Not only do teams get to pick their schedules, they get to play AA teams? Why the fuck aren’t BCS teams limited to other BCS teams? It’s pathetic enough that votes are the major factor in who gets to contend for the title (hey, you think last season’s undefeated Boise State has even a 5% shot at the title? Fuck no! Thanks, BCS).

Until there is some major retooling, college football exists for one sole purpose in my mind; to supply players to the NFL.

No… Next year, Michigan is going to schedule: West Texas Cripple College, The Alfred Q. Murray School for the Blind, and West Plattsville Middle School for their nonconference play.

I agree with everything after the word “title”.

The AA (excuse me, Championship Subdivision) schools enjoy the payday the A (oops, that’s Bowl Subdivision) teams give out, if the not beatdown they tend to dish out…that’s why this is allowed. Note that AA teams beating unranked A teams is not unheard of…a couple of years back Stanford had a very embarrassing loss to UC-Davis. Stanford was (and continues to be) horrible, but it was still a big deal, especially for little Davis.

The Bowl teams are allowed to schedule one Championship team each season. Most everyone takes advantage of it, but this was Michigan’s first game against a Championship level team.

Go Badgers! (Who scheduled The Citadel as their tackling dummy this year…)

Hey, olives and LOUNE, maybe we should start a support group. I’m still pissed that I couldn’t even see the game because of the Big Ten Network. Had to listen to it on the radio.

Went scrolling through my iPod earlier today and I found a few songs that might be appropriate for the soundtrack to this college football season.

Talking Heads - Road to Nowhere
Spoon - The Underdog
Camera Obscura - Hey, Lloyd, I’m Ready To Be Heartbroken

Coulda done without that…

So…now that Michigan’s chances have just dropped by about 93%, are they going to be less motivated for the remainder of the season? After all, what do they really have to play for anymore?

Is a 7-4 record a more realistic prediction than 10-1 now?

At the risk of possibly being a pariah in my own town, I’d like to extend an olive branch of sorts to you.

Granted, we did have a laugh or seventy at the expense of your team today, but all is not lost. We do share a common enemy, the greedy, conniving network known as the “Fuck Them Netwo…” Sorry, “The Big Ten Network”

It seems that the measly audience that BCS championship level teams brings, are not making nearly enough money for the people that see a potential profit here, and would also like some money. For God’s sake, they’re re-using the twist-ties on the hot dog bun bags! People are starving here! (by starving, I mean having less than a full mouthful of Beluga caviar)

So, maybe we could join forces during the mid-season, possibly via non violent protest. Is it against the law to bury an entire building in pig manure? I mean, it’s biodegradable right?

We need to work together! Once the week before our game comes around, the usual protocols will be observed. Should any of you happen to catch fire, expect me to direct my stream of urine away from you, in order to let the flames further engulf your clothing.

'Til then, high five! Let’s get those jerks! The BTN can suck several, wet farts out of my ass. Teach that to your kids, the children are our future.

While they have absolutely no chance at the National Championship game, this loss was out of conference. They could still run the table in the Big 10 and be the Big 10 champs. Then they’d get the Big 10’s automatic BCS bid. So they still have a lot to play for, but they better play a lot better if they expect to win the Big 10 title.

Thoughts from the Spartan Nation (Spartan alum who nonetheless had two sons in Michigan Stadium yesterday):

Michigan didn’t set out to find a cupcake for this game. They had a hole in the schedule and Appalachian State was the best team they could find that was free that week. It wasn’t until this year that the game was set, unlike most nonconference games that are set several years in advance.

I can’t fault Lloyd Carr yet. You can’t always motivate kids to get up for a game. Over the past several seasons there aren’t many coaches with more wins. On the whole he’s a class act just as Red Berensen is a classy hockey coach for them.

Sure they’ll drop in the polls. They’ll rise back up a bit. A loss like this is fatal to a Big Ten team’s national title. If it was Florida, the pollsters would say “Aw, you lost a game. But that’s okay, you’re Florida!”

I always hope for the Big Ten to go 44-0 in nonconference play. Drat, now we can’t do that. Even if it’s hated Michigan, I always pull for the Big Ten.

At the risk of sounding like a homer, look out for Michigan State. They beat the living snot out of Alabama-Birmingham and were substituting very liberally early in the second quarter with a 42-3 lead. First six possessions, six touchdowns. In over 30 years of watching Spartan football, that was easily the most dominating they have ever been.

The problem I have with most “retooling” that people suggest for college football is they basically want to make it just like the NFL. I can barely stand NFL football because I just feel no attachment to any of the teams. With NFL football, I think unless you grew up in an area that had a major team, it’s hard to feel any attachment to a given team and whether or not they win or lose. However, with so many colleges out there pretty much everyone can either root for their alma mater or root for the college team that was big in the area they grew up.

If BCS teams were limited to playing other BCS teams that means fans of schools like BYU and et cetera would never get to see their team play one of the big football powers and possibly win an upset. To me, that would do a disservice to college football.

There are a lot of videos in the “related videos” list, mostly about people celebrating the game. But at the very bottom is a video titled, “Will Bush cancel the 2008 election?”. :smiley: For some reason, it struck me as funny.