College Football 2022

And we got’sch college football! Nebraska vs. Northwestern right now, in Ireland, on FOX!

My son just pointed out that the last time Northwestern wore purple-on-purple uniforms, they set an unwanted college football record.

On 10/21/2006, NU held a 38-3 lead over Michigan State with 10 minutes left in the third quarter. Sparty won the game 41-38. That is the largest blown lead in Division 1-A college football history.

On my next payday, I’m going to purchase some tickets for me and my mother for the Old Dominion vs. Marshall game in November. It would be our first live college football game.

Interesting development at the Northwestern/Nebraska game in Dublin. Evidently connections to the internet are extremely spotty, so beer is being given away.

And considering what two teams are playing, it may be needed for those in the stands by the end of this one.

You know what, screw you; what game are you watching? This is actually a pretty good game.

Anyway, I’m sure the return of Ten Cent Beer Night minus the ten cents won’t possibly cause problems later in the game.

Northwestern upsets Nebraska in Ireland, 31-28, in a great game.

Northwestern was begging Nebraska to grab the win, but alas Nebraska refused and stayed true to it’s recent tradition of losing close games.

A very dubious coaching decision by Frost set it all up too. He might not make it back to the States employed.

Yeah, the onside kick was, shall we say, questionable.

Not sure if I agree with this statement. Looked to me like the Northwestern coach was confident in his defense so he was extremely conservative on offense. And, it worked.

I hate to say, but I’m not really too excited about football right now. Too much bad shit in real life, and Goddammit! USC leaving the Pac??? They push me too far!

But F1 has resumed this weekend, so I got that going for me.

Pretty sure I remember watching this game. Like a bad comedy, or a slow-motion car accident.

Nebraska’s loss to Northwestern was their 7th consecutive defeat, and their questionable choice to do an onside kick up 28-17 was a big part of what cost them so much momentum in this game.

Frost will be cut on October 1st when his $15 million buyout is cut in half to $7.5 million. Unless he finds a way to win out in September, which includes Oklahoma.

Exciting game alert: Unranked West Virginia has the ball with 45 seconds in the first half, threatening in the red zone against #17 Pittsburgh, down 3, on ESPN.

Holy shit, I was right, you guys. West Virginia vs. Pittsburgh was NUTS. A blocked punt that gave West Virginia first-and-goal. A pick-six. And the final play for West Virginia on offense was originally called a catch before replay correctly ruled it incomplete. 38-31, Pittsburgh defeats West Virginia at home.

It had been 11 years since the Backyard Brawl had been played. BRING IT BACK FOREVER.

Pittsburgh has five pick-sixes, incidentally, since the start of last season-- most in FBS.

After I finished watching WVU vs. Pitt, I switched to Penn State vs. Purdue, which was pretty nuts, too. Seven lead changes.

At the opposite end of FBS football . . . New Mexico State, a chronically awful team, ran only 33 plays in losing to Minnesota 38-0. That’s an astonishingly low number of plays.

ESPN senior writer Pete Thamel is quoting sources saying that the CFP Board of Managers decided on a 12-team College Football Playoff.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1565776338103013377

That’s just too many games. I foresee games being played without the typical starters near the end of the season. There needs to be some sort of incentive to end the regular season as highly ranked as possible… perhaps a two-round bye for the top 2 teams, and 1 round bye for 3 & 4.

According to ESPN, the new format would include the six highest-ranking conference champions, plus the six highest-ranking at-large teams. Assuming (yeah, I know) that the Big 5 champions (SEC, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, Pac-12) would be in this group, then a champion from another conference would always make the playoffs. That group of conferences would include the American, C-USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, and Sun Belt.

No word yet on the format, but one possibility is that the top 4 teams would each get a bye. Which would mean that a playoff team could potentially play four postseason games.

I’m not seeing this possibility, unless a team has a spot in the conference championship game locked up before the last regular-season game. Which is no different than today.

Old Dominion upset Virginia Tech for the second time in four years, 20-17 at home! GO MONARCHS! Now why doesn’t ESPNU come with ESPN+?

Glad to see the playoff expanded, though I’m fearful that the powers that be will put 7 SEC teams in along with 5 conference champions.

My Spartans got a win, impressive at times and at other times not. Western Michigan played them a lot tougher than I’d expect and I think WMU will do well in the MAC. I’m sure Mel Tucker found a lot of things to work on this week. A one-finger salute to ESPN for moving the game to ESPN2. I had to run an errand with my wife yesterday and I thought no problem, I’ll just record the game and catch up when we get back. Get back and start the recording and find… tennis. Missed about 10 minutes of the game. What a pisser.