Aransas Cty (TX) judge beats daughter for downloading from the Internet (2004 incident)

FTR this clip was made in 2004 but apparently wasn’t uploaded until last week.

Moving from MPSIMS to the Pit.

Castigate with great dispatch and abandon.

Anyone know what those are in Texas?

And how they might be affected by a statute of Limitations?

She’s legally an adult now. She could get him on battery charges.

Also, one hopes that she no longer lives under his roof.

ETA: maybe RIAA is coming after him for the downloads, and this is his “defense”… :rolleyes:

It’s 6 or 7 years old – there’s a good chance he no longer has any criminal liability.

But otherwise you’re right – somehow I forgot that the passage of time would allow her to grow and get out.

Apparently this was posted by the daughter, who hopes it will stop his re-election, according to the note by the poster. Here’s hoping that works, but at least people all over the world will see what a no good bum this guy is.

Disturbing to say the least. If it can be confirmed/corroborated/proven, I hope it completely ruins his life.

reddit thread.

A little ways down the thread the (presumably) daughter posts:

Also linked there is This cached thread where the OP accuses the judge of corruption and the judge and others involved in the case also respond.

“Not available for legal purchase” means abandonware. Yes, it’s technically piracy, but it’s generally hard to prove damages in these sorts of things. Heck, so many abandonware sites exist, it’s hilarious. And you can find any song you want on YouTube.

I’m still certain that Nintendo created their Virtual Console primarily so they could prove damages against people using ROMs and only secondarily to make money off of retro game enthusiasts.

I doubt that, since there is a pretty limited selection of Virtual Console games, and the ones that are there don’t correspond to the ones widely available for emulation.

Statute of limitations for civil battery in Texas is two years; for criminal misdemeanor battery it’s three.

In the video the mom was saying the daughter downloaded something that sounds like “za” or “zaa”. Anyone familiar with that game/program? Seems like a vary sever punishment for such a small crime.

Maybe she’s using Kazaa? I remember it as one of those P2P downloader like what emule is nowadays.

I was referring to the possibility that the judge would beat her up AGAIN.

Looks like the story is being picked up far and wide.

The video made me well up. Disturbing and sad.

I’m betting some groups with the words “Family”, “Freedom” and/or “Heritage” in their names will soon be offering their support to the judge for upholding “traditional family values”, and claim this is all a conspiracy of “thuh lib’ruls.”

From the Court’s webiste:

http://www.aransascountytx.gov/courtatlaw/

Here’s what he’s had to say to a reporter in Texas:

I got some really bad thrashings from my parents (and deserved each of them), but nothing like what that sicko visited on her.

I’m sure he’s going to play that off like it was a one time thing (not that it would make it acceptable!), but here’s the thing: if this was a one off, he apologized, etc. How did she know to set up the camera? I suppose it’s possible she suspected this would set him off in a way nothing previously had, and set up a video camera, and got “lucky”, but it’s much more reasonable to assume this happened with regularity.

In my teenage years, my mother lost it once. I don’t think I really deserved it, but it was a rough time, and I’ve moved past it. I said something that just set her off, and she attacked me. The thing is, I never would have set up a camera, because nothing like that had happened before, or since.

Hillary Adams addresses that in this article.