As God Is My Witness, I thought Turkeys Could Fly! - A MMP

It has, indeed, begun.

So on that note, I’ll share my own Thanksgiving tradition:

Thanks for the support, guys. And jane, I suspected as much. I’m still waiting for more news, but they’re talking about a hospice evaluation now. At least he could hopefully be more comfortable. It sounds like the light’s going out and I don’t want him to be afraid.

So…today is cold and kinda cloudy. Work has given us a half day today and all day Friday the day after Thanksgiving, which is odd. The place I work was lovingly nicknamed the “burn & churn,” but we were purchased by a Megacorp focused on work-life balance. We’ve been strongly encouraged to take more time off of work. Most of us at burn & churn have Stockholm syndrome and don’t know what to do with ourselves when we’re asked not to work. Guess we’ll figure it out.

Mom is coming over after lunch. We’re doing Thanksgiving here, so she’s bringing all the ingredients for her dishes, I’ve got the ingredients for mine (plus the turkey) and we’ll spend a few hours doing prep work. Last year this time she was recovering from cancer surgery and suffering a horrific infection. She could hardly walk and when she did, she needed my help to get to the toilet, much less the car. She had trouble getting dressed and her legs shook when she stood up. The day after Thanksgiving she was admitted to the hospital for nearly two weeks. This year she’s cooking a damn banquet. So that’s definitely something to be grateful for.

Happy Hump Day!

Cold 23 degrees this morning, but no park because it is daycare day.
Hardly anybody was there. Usually when I get there at opening time, there is a line of people waiting to get in.

My son turned off the water to the outside this morning. After I reminded him for like the 5th time.

I just got back from getting an oil change/tire rotation/fluid fill/and whatever else they do.
I suppose I should look at the list.
The inside of the truck is filthy, mostly doggie drool, but I don’t feel like cleaning when it’s cold outside.

In an hour we have to leave to get some groceries. Small order.
I’ll gas up the truck while we are there. We don’t have to fill the tires as the oil change people did it.
So glad the damn messages are gone. They were rotating through get your oil changed, your tires are low, and you are low on washer fluid.

Then I have things to do. There are always things to do.
It’s a never ending list of things to do.

Reminds me - I need to unhook the hoses…

Stuffing/dressing is prepped, green bean casserole is prepped. Spuds are all baked and cooling. I’ll mash and prep the sweet N.O.T. after they cool a bit more. When FCD gets home, I’ll run to the dollar store in the hopes of getting some shredded cheddar for the twice-baked. Then I can finish those.

Daughter texted me - Roxy is snotty, but no fever, so a cold I guess. The big problem is keeping her away from Toby. I offered to take her this afternoon and overnight - we shall see.

Meanwhile, the techs are hard at work. Not sure how long it will take for them to finish. But I have nothing to do downstairs. It’s a kitchen day.

Sweet N.O.T. casseroles are prepped - one with marshmallows (ick) and one with brown sugar and pecans.

Early tomorrow, the bird goes in the oven for a low and slow roast. Assorted casseroles and dressing go in about 30-45 minutes before we eat. Broccoli goes in the steamer about 20 minutes before we eat. Gravy will be nuked just before we sit down. It’s in a jar - don’t judge! :stuck_out_tongue:

I need to bake the punkin pie - later this afternoon, I think. And I’ll get a fresh tablecloth and place mats on the table - that can be done in the morning. Theoretically, tomorrow will be an easy day. Theoretically.

No word from FCD - I’m assuming they’re doing tests/x-rays/setting up a surgery date. And so I wait…

HVAC installed, but the techs are on their way back because the fan won’t turn off. The guy who was wiring the thermostat had to call for help, and I’m guessing he didn’t get the help he needed. Or he didn’t listen. Or something.

But the spuds are stuffed and in the freezer for future meals. FCD is napping - looks like no surgery for him till January at the soonest. He can’t get an MRI till Dec 30. eeesh.

I’m trying to decide whether to bake the pie today or tomorrow. Decisions, decisions…

Picked up the turkey this morning and am off to make stuffing after I finish this sentence.

Evening all.

I still can’t quite get my head round the concept of sweet potato and marshmallow as a casserole. And I grew up eating stuff called ‘toad in the hole’…

I had a moderately productive day of skool irk today- I have 2 different things to finish, a few weeks to do them, and basically no inclination. 9.30 last night and it suddenly hit. On the flip side, now the floor needs vacuuming

I’m off visiting friends and going to a juggling thing at the weekend- the friends I’m staying with have made a whole new human (now about 8 months) since I last saw them. What I just discovered though is that the day I’m staying with them is the guy half of the couple’s birthday- I don’t know him so well, but I feel like I have to get something… I might have to go shopping tomorrow and see if I can find something.

Enjoy all the food (except the icky casseroles) tomorrow!

Afternoon all. AM at my nephew’s house with 4 other adults and 6 dogs (2 Bloodhounds, 3 Bassets, and a Boston Terrier). in a house designed for one or two people. Needless to say, it’s a bit crowed here…the hotel room will definitely look great this evening. Am now covered in dog hair, most thanks to a Basset 'lap-dog" that is making typing this an adventure.

Drive today was a lot easier, ‘only’ 300 miles and not many changes. Garmin worked very well, managed to get me around a toll road with little fuss. Do need to try and get the volume higher so I can hear the instructions.

Plans are to eat out tomorrow, but location is still be determined, most of the places close at 4pm and my nephew doesn’t get off until 4-5pm. But SIL has pies baking, so that will be one touch of a normal Thanksgiving.

Have read all but with bassets all about have absorbed little. All y’all take care and enjoy the day.

Mrs. L.A. woke up on her birfday to no card, no flowers. She didn’t say anything.

I sneaked out today and got her a very nice bouquet from a local shop, plus a card from me and a card from the cats. I got her a nice ‘wool’ scarf, and six – six! – large truffles in assorted flavours. She’d asked me to get her some raspberry vodka, so I got her the expensive one on the recommendation of the girl who owns the liquor store. Tonight I’m taking her to dinner at the nice steak house.

Lunchtime. Cheeseburger patty on a low-carb tortilla w/Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and jalapeños, and cheddar-jalapeño chicharrones.

That should earn you some points.

DOH! Fixed it. (Of course if I win a lottery, I’ll buy her any car she wants! She’ll probably want another RAV4.)

Howdy Y’all! We got the out of da cave stuff over and done with early. Today has been a day of prep for the big feast tomorrow. Prep irk is all done and, as MOOOOOOM said, theoretically tomorrow should be easy to get stuff ready. I shall delude myself into believin’ that. We et much pizza and some sallit for sup. We was hongry! Now 'tis chill time.

MetalMouse glad you got there all safe and sound and are gettiT
{{{Wordy}}} for what it’s worth, hospice is a wonderful service. Hospice folks are so nice and will do everything they can to keep your father comfortable.

Talky yay for Mom! What a difference a year makes. Hope she enjoys makin’ up a feast.

FlyBoy sounds like ya done good birthday wise.

Nuts marshmallows on sweet N.O.T. casserole is of Satan himself. My sweet N.O.T. casserole has a pee-kahn and brown sugar toppin’ the way the good Lord meant for it to be.

flyboy Happiest of Birrthdays to the missus!

I’m back from meeting another doctor (an ENT) and getting evaluated for a procedure to numb the trigeminal nerve in my face. Preliminary assessment involved using a scope and sticking a giant needle way to the back of my nose. It was a lot like a COVID test, but more painful. :confused:

I think I’m going to take a nap. :sleeping:

Student: So, can I use psilocybin as part of my class project?

Me: I don’t have an opinion about what you do on your own time, but I wouldn’t be able to justify it academically.

Just got Roxy down to sleep. Poor kid has a mega-snotty nose. I expect I’ll be laundering her bedding tomorrow. And I got some Toby snuggles earlier, so a good day grandmothering.

I baked the punkin pie this evening because tomorrow, the oven will be full of turkey - duh! Everything else is ready except the broccoli, and it won’t take long to cut up the crowns and start the steamer. That will happen after the assorted casseroles are in the oven.

HVAC is adjusted. Apparently, the fan keeps running to cool down the heat exchanger, and it was on a ridiculously high setting, it would have turned off eventually, but it was still blowing an hour later. So they tweaked it and all is good. They even gave me an insulated mug filled with hard candies as an apology. This company is all about customer service for sure!

After Roxy has breakfast in the morning, I’ll haul the dirties downstairs and do laundry while she plays. I’ll even fire up the stove down there. Daughter and Toby will be over some time before 10 and SIL should get here between 4:30 and 5. Guess I should figure out what we’ll have for lunch - probably just sammiches.

Now, tho, 'tis chillage time.

MOOOOOOM the HVAC folks know that a grandmother is supposed to have a goodly supply of hard candies at all time. Make sure you put them in your purse and offer them to random people. That’s your job now.

Howdy. I finally made it up to visit my son last weekend. The weather and other traffic events postponed it a few weeks. It’s only 313 miles but the trip up took me 7 hours as it rained all the way from Miami to Melbourne. The trip home was much faster except for a traffic delay due to a crash only 45 miles from home. It is weird driving 80 mph. Took some getting used to. I took BuddyBoy with me and he had a ball in their privacy fenced back yard chasing a ball. I don’t think he would ever stop. He did great in the car.

They begged me to stay but they are hosting a fairly large shindig of her parents and I just wasn’t up to meeting anyone so I came back. I am going up the neighbor tomorrow afternoon and eat with them. My other neighbor is providing me with leftovers so no food shortages.

I bought myself an adult trike and paid one of my employees to put it together for me. I haven’t rode it yet but shall take it on its maiden voyage tomorrow. There is a big basket on back and I got another for the front. Gotta teach Buddy to ride with me. I also bought myself a new set of cookware so my Christmas shopping is done. I wrote Sonny boy a nice check so I am truly done shopping. I have about 90% decided not to put up the tree but may change my mind.

Did decide the mainland is too peoply for me. Have to rethink my future home.

I am still learning to live alone. Here’s hoping everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

Mrs. L.A.'s birfday was a success. The like the Dobby socks (from the cats), the flower arrangement (from me), the cards, and the dinner.

We started off with a couple of Manhattans. We started with escargots (mine is still better), and both had bacon-wrapped filet mignon that melted in our mouths with backed potatoes and broccoli and a couple of slices of carrots. Our wine was Juggernaut Cabernet Sauvignon. Very nice.

I didn’t have my glasses, so The Missus had to read the bill. With a $30 tip, it came to $210. She said maybe we should only go every other year. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is awesome! Please tell us how it goes. {{{hugs}}} and Happy Thanksgiving to you too.