Babelfish mistranslation

While it is this way, being, directly there is a couple of the thread. (There have been a couple of threads like this, but not for a while.)
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=27815
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=23782

Here’s what you do: go to babelfish , translate an English phrase into any language, copy the results into the text box, and translate that again, repeating, as many times as you want with as many different languages as you want, finishing with English. If it’s amusing, post it here.

Translating from English to German to French to English to Spanish to English makes “the straight dope” come out “the right of the lubricant.” Eng>Japanese>Eng>Korean>French>English makes “the straight dope” come out “Major right-hand side liquidates painting.”

The vulgar Nantucket limerick put into Japanese and back to English is:

Itsy bitsy the cross of arm is assembled the casing of water. The rain came to the bottom and washed the cross of arm outside. The sun came and dried the whole rain, therefore itsy bisty the cross of arm is again assembled the casing.

That was The Itsy Bitsy Spider, of course, translated from English to German, German to French, French to English. (It was the only thing that came to mind to translate, since the Little Toaster has been running around singing it all morning.)

What a riot! So far that’s about all the Internet is for me: for entertainment purposes only.
JW

Okay, here’s my go:

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

run through Eng-Spanish-Eng-Japanese-Eng-French-Eng becomes…

This significance which it is a sky, it is the kingdom where the art of the sky which is justified with our fathers in particular the ground is known, the thy thy and the thy it is made, it comes.

Or how about, from Braveheart:

Aye, fight and you may die, run and you’ll live. At least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they’ll never take our freedom?!

run Eng-Span-Eng-French-Eng-German-Eng turns in to…

Aye, the fight and can die, become you executed and live you. At least during some time. And much dying in your beds of years from now, you were arranged, in order to negotiate over each day in the date of this daily to these at an opportunity, as soon as an opportunity with here become and to say to our enemies, who can last our life lasting, but never our liberty takes!
Um. Yeah, ok, babelfish. Whatever you say.
One last one, my sig done Eng-French-Eng-German-Eng-Italian-Eng looks like this…

Only on a midnight of the passage, then for the conteggio of the asterisks in the case, while of devious more southernmost and the underline of the satellites, it to me, where we are. Around to trasformarsi series, living this daily newspaper… and always 24 hours, during the 60 good years… is possibly it really not only a much time a stay.

Oh, my very favorite thing to do is…RECIPIES!!!

Here is a simple meatloaf, from english to spanish and back:
Daily stature Of the Portion Of the Bread with meat: 4
soak migas of the bread in milk. Add the pricked meat, eggs, the onion and the condimentos; receiver of paper of the mixture. Form the mixture of the meat in a bread and coloqúela in a casserole of the bread. Cook to the furnace in a furnace 350 by 45 to 50 minutes. The sauce of tomato or the sauce of the barbecue can be extended by the cover of the meat bread before cooking to the furnace. Cook to the furnace potatoes in the same time beginning them 15 minutes before bread with meat.

President George Bush’s opening remarks to Congress last night (E-Sp-E-Fr-E-It-E):

The sig. Speaker, sig. vice-president, members of the conference, is privileges large of border a new estimate and a new method in order to govern our great country here. They are recognizing with he through its I invite to speak this evening here. I know that the conference has had to formally invite me and could be one near voice.

(IN ORDER TO LAUGH)

therefore, sig. vice-president, currency which he breaks off the cycle here.

(IN ORDER TO LAUGH)

to wish to recognize therefore a lot with the good number between you that you have convalidato mine I invite to come to the house white woman to discuss the editings meaningful. We are chechmates

(.)

to a good beginning. I will continue to soddisfarlo with and asking its input for the information. You were good and sincere and are recognizing with he to make one new reception of the sensibility of the president.

I took Jenkinsfan’s four simple points from the thread “A very clear presentation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ” ( http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=60886 )

And ran it through Babelfish English > Italian > English > German > French > English

Herewith, the result:

I think the message is perfectly clear! :slight_smile:

Would anyone care to guess what this famous quote was, before it went through every possible translation I could throw at it?

** ** of D causes time-out begin it naturally its D possible last toy with D quality estimate method in D largely that illustration humanity in D as the place as well as outside matter providence and for him us a policy in 1 become in you and the card D explanation insufficiently forms to have under him become being inside D do not form that to be viscous magnetic tape because to decide that made him repair that, in a voie/truck of low energy, D manner have inside together survive in D matter too much with D the person D case indeed place.

It’s the Declaration of Independence! :slight_smile:

(“Do not form that to be viscous magnetic tape” gave it away!! :D)

Heres another thread I started related to this grandest of all wastes of time:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=35589

The original:
Here’s what you do: go to babelfish , translate an English phrase into any language, copy the results into the text box, and translate that again, repeating, as many times as you want with as many different languages as you want, finishing with English. If it’s amusing, post it here.

Eng > Fr > Eng > Ger > Eng > Sp > Eng

Here that he: if you go to babelfish, she translates the English report of execution to each possible language, they copy the results to him in the context of texts, and you translate them, immovable, relaunching, as soon as as much once, whereas you require hardly English with so many diverse languages, whereas you require, finishing. If it maintains, anuncíelos here.

Eng>Jap>Eng>Ger>Fre>Eng

In a place in the method of strong Regenbogenobacht, that which had it the mass, was believed once with Lullaby. In a place which that is blue skys him in the elbow of rain, dreams, the truth which really took in the order in a requirement, to supervise the dream, comes.

When Judy Garland sang it, it didn’t sound quite so surreal.

Eng>Fre>Ger>Eng>Spa>Eng

A portion of what I used to think was a great speech.

“If you go again in Mississippi, she goes again in Alabama, she enters Georgien again, she enters the IANA of Louis again, goes again to the comfort of the misery and in the ghettos of ours the cities nordischen in, since of way or another this tin of the position and it is modified. Déjenos wallow in the valley of désespoir. Legend I you today my friends, who in spite of the difficulties and the destruction of the end in time I am always a sleepy. It is a dream, that verwurzelt in the American dream became deeply. I am a sleepy, that put this nation for above upwards during a newspaper and will live outside the true meaning of its faith: " we watched these truths as far as obvious in him: that all the men are equal production " I I have I dream, who during a newspaper in the red hills Georgiens the cords of spiral of previous slaves and the cords of together older spiral can fix they themselves slaveowners to a writing-desk of the spear of the brother. I am a sleepy that during equal the newspaper estatus Mississippi estatus of the desert, that chokes with the injustice of the heat and the suppression in the oasis of the freedom and the law it becomes. I am a sleepy, that my four children phase day in a nation, in where they are judged not by the color of its skin, but by the content of its character.”

Here are some nice little nursery rhymes to share with your little ones:

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star… E>FR>G>E
Funkelfunkeln few asterisk, as I over asks itself, what upward you are over the as high world as a diamond in sparkling the sky sparkling few asterisk, as I me over please, what you are!

Star Light, Star Bright… E>FR>G>E
To starlight, lighting up asterisk, the first asterisk I see this evening the desire that I can, desire could I the desire have I require this evening

Wee Willie Winkie… E>G>FR>E
Small Willie Winkie functions in top and downwards by the city, in his behaviour of night which is in Windows RAP and looks by Verriegelungen?are all the children in its inserting? For now o?clock that it?s eight!?

And don’t forget to say your prayers, little ones…

Now I stretch out swallow myself, in order to sleep. I ask the Mr. my soul, in order to retain. If I ask meurs, before I wake myself, I the gentleman my soul, in order to take.

Hee hee hee.

I really enjoyed the recipe, so here’s another.

Original -
Chicken Casablanca

Saute onions, ginger and garlic in oil. Transfer to crockpot. Brown chicken in same pan over medium heat. Add carrots, potatoes and zucchini to crockpot. Place chicken on top of veggies. Stir seasonings in a small bown and sprinkle over chicken. Add raisins and tomatoes. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours. Add beans, parsley and cilantro 30 minutes before serving. Serve over cooked rice or cous cous.

English to Korean, back to English

Both green onion, the ginger and the garlic the flesh pair thwi it crawls inside the recruit Casablanca oil.crockpot it moves. Inside identical pan general intermediate ten brown recruit. Add the carrot, the potato and the amber in the crockpot. Put the recruit in the normality of the veggies. The seasonings stir inside the small bown and sprinkle the general recruit. The raisins and the toe E toe add. In 4 for 6 hours cover in top and cook. Before serving 30 minutes add the bean, the parsley and the cilantro. By the normality the rice which it cooks or cous cous serve.
It crawls! It moves! Aaaaaaah!

The ancestor of this continent of new country where there is the book of our 4 volumes to that, 7 years, should face obtains.

Rolls my hair five selects oh old cloth well topup is not possible to roast thus Girlies in the method, to these said correct period waits for, in order to with one extremely obvious way, however I with stop, the correct role is not I

The opening lines (hopefully not screwed up too badly in the initial remembering, but I know I got close) from The Outsiders:

As I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the moviehouse, I had two things on my mind… Paul Newman and a ride home.
Going through the progression of English > French > German > English > Italian > English > Portuguese > English > Spanish > English, you get:

*When I to make an end to the external part in the system ignite in the solar light of nerezza of the house of the film, I I had two things in my alcohol that she had… Paul Newman and one becomes to the house *
Hmmm… I never knew that’s what SE Hinton was really talking about! :smiley:

President Bush is trying to set the record straight on his spending plan, crisscrossing the country to dispel ``myths’’ that he says critics are using to distort his intentions. Bush brought his campaign-style effort to Arkansas Thursday, touting his budget’s Main Street appeal by shifting the focus to its education and health research components. He went to Lakewood Elementary School, where half the pupils are economically disadvantaged and where annual testing has helped improve academic performance of fourth- and fifth-graders.

E>Fr>E>G>E
President Bush tried to place the very right accommodation its plan of the expenditure, the country cut to rotate in order ``myths to zerstreuen ’ these says it that criticisms use, its intentions. The shrubs got its effort of the landscape model after Arkansas Thursday and touting the general call of the road of its budget, by shifting the stove with its constituents of the formation and the search of the health. It went being obstructed to the primary school from Lakewood, in half of the pupils economically and where the annual test helped to improve the school execution of the quarter and the 5. sorters.

BTW-
My first post is the beginning of the Gettysburg Address and the second a verse from ‘Ice ice baby’

There is a ramme, which is safe that everything that sparkles is the gold, and she buys stairs in the sky, if she receives it white there whether all memories with a word are closed to receive that she can, which came her, and it buys stairs in the sky it gives a character on the wall, but she wants to be safe a cause that you know that sometimes the words two meanings in a tree have through ruisseau it give a singer bird, that sometimes all our thoughts sing are misgiven it make me the miracle.

The first two verses to Stairway by Led Zeppelin, with all the “Ooohs” cut out.