Bauer Bitch Domination Theory

I’ve watched every episode of every season of 24. I’ve seen the first 3 seasons at least twice. Last night, I was struck with an epiphany. 24 really isn’t about terrorists. That’s all just an allegory. What 24 really is about is about is the need to dominate your bitches, how to dominate your bitches, and the consequences of the failure to do so.

The following is Bitch Domination Theory (BDT) as derived from 24.

1. All woman are bitches and they need to be treated like bitches and shown their place. If you don’t, they will go crazy, become incompetent, work against you, try to kill you/destroy the world and become generally unpleasant and unhappy.

2. A dominated bitch who knows her place is a happy and effective bitch

3. The proper way to dominate a bitch is to get right in her face and start yelling and screaming. If that fails to work, you need an escalating chain of violence and shouting. This usually starts with the trademark backhanded Bitchtslap, and can proceed to punching, choking, or otherwise beating down the bitch until she is quiet and compliant, and shows gratitude.

4. An untended bitch is an agent of chaos who craves domination and will stop at nothing to get it.

In the world of 24 this is law.

I can give many many examples going back over many seasons, but let’s just start with the top three bitches in 24, Nina, Sherry Palmer, and Chloe.

Nina worked with Jack and was having an affair with him (she also happened to be a double agent.) However, Jack broke it off to return to his wife. Abandoned by the most dominant person on the planet, Nina became an untended bitch and ran amok. She stepped up her mole efforts to a whole new level in an attempt to gain Jack’s attention and dominance. Finally, she killed his wife. She came back in the next season, attempting to kill Jack in another effort to rekindle their relationship. She moved from sympathetic but mildly evil in season 1, to pretty damn evil in Season 2. Jack however failed to engage with her and create dominance. By season 3 she was basically Hannibal Lector. Chase warns her that Jack is starting to get pissed at her and somewhat sick of her shit and is probably going to kill her if she doesn’t chill out. This is music to Nina’s ears. She steps up her efforts, craving death as the ultimate in domination at Jack’s hands. Finally, Jack gets fed up and kills her. We have a close up of her face. She is happy and content and dies willingly.

This seeking death and or destruction at the hands of your formerly dominant male is an ongoing theme of 24 and a characteristic of the abandoned/untended bitch.

Sherry Palmer as the President’s wife was pretty much the superbitch of 24. Some may argue that she was in fact dominant as she manipulated and worked behind the scenes over several seasons, often at counter-purpose to her husband. Those would be wronging. There is a telling scene where President Palmer takes her to task and starts yelling at her after she’s fucked up his presidency and destroyed everything. He even goes so far as to throw things around a little bit. Sherry Palmer melts. She explains that things can go back the way it was when it was just he and her. They can be happy together. For the first time, she is empty of manipulation. Her face is open, and she is happy. Her husband is dominating her. Eventually though Palmer is unable to go through with it, abandons her, and she becomes the classic untended bitch running amok, creating chaos.
Chloe is the example of a properly tended bitch. Throughout the last several seasons of 24 Jack dominates her completely. She likes it. She is totally and utterly loyal to Jack. She is incredibly effective. She is an extension of Jack’s will. When Jack retires at the end of last season, Chloe begins this season rolling down the slippery slope of ruin that is the lot of the undominated woman. She is back at CTU and she is incompetant. She can’t do anything right. She is unhappy and in danger of being fired. She begs Jack to come back and dominate her (although not in those words.) Jack, remembering the lesson of Nina, knows that to leave Chloe undominated is too dangerous. So he comes back and makes Chloe his bitch. Suddenly Chloe is not just competent, she is unbelievably stellar and back at the top of her game. She can make the computers do anything or access anything. She is happy. Some may argue that Chloe is actually dominant to many people in previous seasons. While it may appear that way, it’s incorrect. She does not dominate herself or other men for herself, but only as an extension of Jack’s will, furthering his dominance. This can be easily season in this season where without Jack, Chloe is incapable of dominant behavior.

We could go back over more women from past seasons, but what really sealed this thesis was not just Chloe’s behavior in the current season but that of Renee and Dana (aka "Starbuck.)

With both of these characters we are simultaneously shown the effects of proper domination and drawbacks of attempting to empower or respect women.

Dana/Starbuck is engaged to the biggest weenie in the world, Freddie Prinze. Freddie is nice, empowering and respectful. At the same time, Dana is being stalked and blackmailed by her old boyfriend, some trailer trash prison guy. Trailer trash calls her up and threatens her and is mean to her until she tells him where the key to her apartment is. He lets himself in and makes himself at home. Then he calls her up and threatens her and makes her come immediately (she leaves in the middle of a crisis.) Dana comes home, and acts like she does not appreciate his dominant behavior. Trailer trash yells at her, bitchslaps her and tells her what to do until she is compliant. Dana then expresses gratitude and thanks trailer trash. She is now dominated and knows what she has to do, and appears happy and compliant.

We know she wants it, because logically he is an untenable situation. She could just call his bluff and say she is calling the police. She could say everybody at CTU knows about her past, that she’s been vetted, and, in fact, fuck you, she’s calling the police anyway. What would he have? Nothing. The fact that she goes along with his ridiculous and untenable blackmail is proof that she is unhappy with the considerate and respectful Freddie and craves domination.

A similar circumstance occurs with Renee. She has been dominated by a Russian mobster after Jack fucked her up with his domination/abandonment. She tries to kill herself. She is called back into the field to go after those Russians again, but Jack recognizes her issues and untended bitch and gets himself assigned to dominate her. Unfortunately, his heart is not in it. He tries to reason with her, talk to her, show respect, etc. This is a bad idea for treating women (as we’ve amply demonstrated.) Renee goes nuts and cuts off the thumb of some Russian guy. Jack tries to make up for his lack of dominance by yelling at her, and this works a little bit. She seems to come around, but Jack never bitchslaps her or threatens her, or really get into her face and she remains undominated.

Back with the Russians she latches onto the most dominant Russian and puts herself in jeopardy, craving extinction at the hands of a dominant male. He forces her to her knees, and stands in front of her, holding his gun, with a bulbous silencer attached at the level of his crotch. He then rubs it on her face (I think this action is symbolic of something, but I can’t figure out what.) Renee’s face goes quiet. For the first time this season she is happy and at peace. She tells him she wants him to pull the trigger. That she has nothing else. She is totally compliant.

He doesn’t (I suspect this is going to prove to be a mistake on his part.) She is no longer as happy, and torn between the dominance of Jack and the Russian. Now, I suspect Jack better step up his game and start dominating Renee with some sexual violence before the Russian does or there will be more trouble.
This theme is hardly unique to 24. Scarlett O’hara is unhappy throughout Gone With the Wind until Rhett Butler gets fed up with her crap, carries her up the stairs and lays some serious pipe. The problem is that Rhett is ashamed of his violent sexual domination and doesn’t realize that Scarlett craves it.
We can go on and on in literature with more examples of bitch domination theory, but it’s now time to get on with the debate.

1. Am I wrong? Is my take on 24 incorrect? I’m sure I’m not, but you are welcome to try to argue with me.

2. What, if any, is the basis of bitch domination theory in reality? It is an ongoing literary theme, but how does it apply, if it does in the real world?

My theory is this: I am a feminist. I strongly believe in not just the equality but the superiority of women. I think they are better than men. The duty of a man is to be a gentleman. I have two daughters and a wife and I serve them and I am happy to do so. Woe be anyone who tries Bitch Domination Theory in my house. This is not because they would have to deal with me (though they would) but because the females in my family would tear that person apart. I know many women like this.

But, I also know women that seem to crave domination. And (here I’m getting dangerous) I think there is a component to all women who crave domination. I think women are different from men psychologically. Men for example, have fantasies and want to act them out. Women, on the other hand, I think, are more prone to having fantasies that they definitely do not wish to act out. Margaret Atwood wrote about this in her short story “Rape Fantasies.” Women like the fantasy of the dominant male to some degree, but don’t necessarily want to act it out.

I have also noticed sometimes women will go along with Bitch Domination Theory in a small way. Once or twice in my life I have gone off an yelled and been a total ass about something inconsequential and been totally surprised when my wife capitulated, and became compliant and accepting of my asshole-like immature dominant behavior.

Did I bully her? Hmmm. I don’t think so. Here’s why: In the past when I’ve acted dominant bullying asshole over something with my wife it has always backfired (I don’t make a habit of this, but I’ve been married a long time and have had my moments.) I have ended up grovelling for forgiveness… as I should after such a display. However, the two occasions when I did succeed in dominant behavior were when I started yelling over totally inconsequential things. My wife (I think) decided that she didn’t really care about the issue and used it as an opportunity to explore the fantasy of the dominant male, confident that she could turn the table whenever she felt like it.

(to complete the story in both cases I was aware of the untenability of my position and my poor behavior. Motivated by fear of consequences in the future and shame over my assholery, I apologized)

Such fantasies also explain the prevalence of the bodice ripper type novel and other dominant males of fiction.

So, my thesis on number 2 is that while there is a nugget of reality to Bitch Dominance Theory it is not very tenable, desirable, or practical in the real world. Macno assholes who practice it, are generally stunted and immature, and those women who go for it tend to be damaged.

1. To me this is the most interesting question. At face value 24 appears to me to be the most mysoginistic gender biased , women hating program on television. How the hell have they gotten away with it?
    Thank you for your time.

I don’t usually check GD but I saw the name Bauer and decided to see if it was about 24. I probably don’t agree with you but it was very interesting to read. :slight_smile:

Are you saying Roissy writes 24?

Chloe knows who Daddy is, she is resentful of being dominated by anyone but Jack Bauer, but she appreciates it when Jack takes a firm hand.

Someone has too much time on his hands.

Literary commentary–even of 24–is a Cafe Society topic, whither you will next find this thread.

Off from GD.

Sorry Tom. I was going for a Nature-of-Women sort of thing as derived from 24, and couldn’t decide whether the emphasis was more the nature of women, or 24.

Hey Scylla - enjoyed your post and think I would agree with the dangerousness of discussing fantasies of domination being confused with wishes for domination (or indeed other fantasies).
I’m in the Uk and we are only 2 ep’s into the new series of 24 so skipped sonme of the middle part of your post re the girl with a hidden previous identity (!) working at CTU. However that whole thing about her ability to hide her birth name from the top secretest secreters in the USA, combined with those running CTU still apparantly thinking workplace romances offer no opportunity of leverage to the baddies; and Jack’s adamant stance that he was OUT lasting what 30 seconds? all served to put me in mind of Inglourious Basterds. Not only is it artifice (TV/movie), but it is in itself a fantasy. Some American Jews (perhaps adolescents or some stuck in adolescence) in the 40’s would undoubtedly have wished they were so powerful that they could have acted as Brad Pitt’s men do in the movie - especially the fantasy ending, but it is a phantasy as the psychotherapists have it; an imagined, unreal unachievable existance.
Like 24. Which I think fantasizes about all manner of things, including resurrection, impotence, technology but especially relationships.
To me it says - ‘wouldn’t it be great if…computers worked, governments were as good as their word, women understood you are stronger and smarter than them and that ultimately negotiation is just chatting - the violent solution is the final one’.

Having said that, I enjoy 24. And here’s where I may get unstuck, It may be - as you suggest that some of the women who enjoy watching 24 are engaging in the fantasy of a powerful male dominating all before him, but I wonder whether the men who enjoy it are not rabid racists who take Jack as a role model, but men who see it as allowing the viewer that vicarious hour of alpha dominence that males had been conditioned to need for 1,000’s of years and now largely no longer need.
“I’m going to need a hacksaw” in S2 made me laugh for a long time, but I’m never going to think shooting someone and using their decapitated head as a bargaining chip is a viable solution in my world. I think the danger in enjoying a fantasy is not that it leaks into your real world, but that it is assumed by others that it will and that you share the views of the protagonist.

So my answer to your question - how have they gotten away with it - is that it is sold as fantasy and we watch it as such. It’s a waking dream acting out primal fantasies that seems to click with enough people to keep going for 7 years.

John Mace - I too have too much time on my hands. :slight_smile:

MiM

I haven’t watched the last several seasons, but my impression is that Bauer serves the roll of the Daddy, who will save us all and take care of us in these Dangerous Times. Daddy rules the roost, and by dominating everybody around him, he makes us feel safe and comfortable.

The reason you’re wrong is because - for reasons presumably best known to yourself - you apparently are oblivious to all the male characters who (a) suffer the same role and (b) are portrayed as evil.

Well, there we go.

This is a fairly disturbing tract. Combined with the previous statement and with your terminology in this thread… I really don’t know what to say. I hope it’s a troll because, bad as that is, the alternative is horrifying. “Bitch Domination Theory”? Really?

I knew I made a mistake associating myself with you Scylla - if only by writing in your thread. Now I’m a Red Flag to millions.

MiM

This was fucking hilarious.

[QUOTE=Made in Macau;12044028).
I’m in the Uk and we are only 2 ep’s into the new series of 24 so skipped sonme of the middle part of your post re the girl with a hidden previous identity (!) working at CTU.[/quote]

My apologies. I did not realize I was providing spoilers to you

Yes. I think you’re right

I’m not to sure. I do think that fantasies have the potential to impact onto reality.

Ok. Still though. As misogynistic as it is, I’m surprised it goes unchallenged. If there was a fantasy about, say, torturing puppies, I feel that it would be challenged. Why is this particular show, about torturing and dominating women unchallenged?

I’m not sure what you mean. Your answer seems incomplete and undefined. Could you provide some examples?

You’re disturbed? Your sensibilities are in jeopardy over my phrasing? My apologies. I was not aware I had such a delicate readership. If you believe that I chose “bitch domination theory” believing it an innocuous term or one of personal preference and not as an extrapolation used to illustrate the attitudes espoused on the show, you are mistaken.

That it puzzles you to the point that you are disturbed and feel the need to remark upon it, suggests that this is perhaps not the thread for you.

Anyhow, I’m interested in talking about the topic at your hand and not in your psychoanalysis of my motivations. I hope you won’t spoil the discussion with a further hijack. If you feel you must, please start another thread.

Thanks.

In an earlier day we’d have said, “the idle brain is the devil’s playground.”

What I mean is: I think there’s a lot of truth to what you say. But you, as an articulate heterosexual male, are not in an appropriate position to say it.

As gender relations are understood and acted out today - at this stage in the “discourse,” if I may be a little bit Foucauldian about it - your role is to be part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Men can disparage assigned, hegemonic, or traditional gender roles. But unless they can show some credentials as outsiders - being out gay, bi, or asexual would be OK, but being some kind of outsider, say workingclass or socially non-privileged, is essential - they don’t have much credibility. They’re presumed to be unregenerate, and as such, to be speaking for themselves, not their gender.

Why? It’s a fine and searing irony, really. In expressing your misgivings about dominant masculinity - and wanting to explore women’s feelings about it - you are demonstrating your unfitness to be taken seriously, and for the very reasons you indicate. In a way, you’re trespassing on what’s basically a woman’s issue, and you won’t be really welcome unless you break a little badass.

As a man, you are already presumed to be unregenerate. You’ll likely find things a little easier if you play to that perception. A little less articulation, a little more unapologetic this-is-how-it-is-ness. You may get your ass handed to you by women now and then, but at least you’ll be helping them “subvert the dominant paradigm,” if only by embodying it.

<$.02>

Beware of Doug I think you are giving John Mace too much credit. He is basically just coming in here to say, I am superior to you for not giving a shit about what you give a shit about. In a thread analyzing movies or TV shows or whatever, there is often at least one person coming in to express it, as though there is something wrong, and you should feel sheepish about giving what is supposed to be ‘mindless entertainment’, a little bit of deeper thought. What he’s really saying is, “I am better than you because I am apathetic about such trivia.”

I haven’t really watched 24 over the years, and so have no real insight into your thesis. I am posting to say that this:

is one of the really well-executed, understated laugh lines I’ve read on this board in a long time.

I don’t have much to say regarding the philosophical content, but I give the OP an A for entertainment value - would read again :slight_smile:

I know I’m in the minority here, but I think anyone who watches 24 is a masochist.

Yeah, I twigged. But I did see a great opening for a devil’s advocate (and yes, possibly playground) rant - in part, wanting to moosh it in John’s face a little.

I said a lot I disagree with. (So did Scylla, I presume.) But as a grad student and sometime cultural critic, I do think there’s a certain disdain for men who decry hegemonic masculinity. They get slammed from both sides: traditional men outside academia, and territorial women academics inside.