Before TBBT Jumped The Shark ...

… it was funny. Sure, we could argue about when the jumping happened, but here I’d rather just remember lines and/or scenes from when it was funny. What did you like?

The Bat Jar Conjecture s1e13
Sheldon: I’m polymerized tree sap and you’re an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

The Desperation Emanation S4e5
Leonard: What would you be if you were attached to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis?

And of course…

The Zazzy Substitution s4e3
Sheldon: Here’s your cat. And here’s your $20.

“At the risk of shining a light on something best left unexamined…”

BEVERLY HOFSTADER: [Talking to Howard and Raj] You know, both selective mutism and an inability to separate from one’s mother can stem from a pathological fear of women. It might explain why the two of you have created an ersatz homosexual marriage to satisfy your need for intimacy.

SHELDON: [Going over the Roommate Agreement with Leonard] If either of us ever invents time travel, we agree our first stop will be this meeting today in precisely five seconds.

LEONARD: Okay.

[Leonard signs, and they both look around the room for several seconds. Nothing happens.]

SHELDON: Well, that’s disappointing!

One of my favorite lines in the entire series!

Bernadette: For a while in Poland, my family and [Howard’s] family were neighbors.

Penny: Oh, that’s cool.

Amy: No, it’s not. I’ll explain it to you later.

Mrs Cooper: Leonard, the Lord never gives us more than we can handle. Thankfully, he blessed me with two other children who are dumb as soup.

Which never seemed fair. We don’t know about Sheldon’s older brother. But we met his twin sister, Missy, and she certainly wasn’t “dumb as soup.”

Speaking of Missy, when Sheldon tries to forbid any of the others from dating her–

Howard: Is it because I’m Jewish? 'Cause I’d kill my rabbi with a pork chop to be with your sister.

SHELDON: [To lactose-intolerant Leonard] Here. Eat this piece of cheese without farting, and you can sleep with my sister.

MISSY: Okay. I’m not even going to ask why you’re pimping me out for cheese. But since when do you care at all about who I sleep with?

Yes I did find that a bit of an odd statement from Sheldon’s mother (though it was still funny). Missy seemed pretty sharp to me, although in an Xmas episode many seasons later Sheldon mentions it took her 6 years to graduate high school (I have no idea why I remember that).

She also hostesses at Fuddrucker’s.

SHELDON: [In the middle of an RPG] Does anybody have any wood? Oh, come on! I just want wood. Why are you making it so hard?

Sheldon: [Penny just explained why the napkin was a little crumpled] I have the DNA of Leonard Nimoy!

Howard and Bernie are in bed - I forget the exact scenario.

Howard: (yells) MOM! RENT ME A TUXEDO!
Mrs Wolowitz: (yells back) WHY? WHAT KINDA SEX ARE YOU KIDS HAVING IN THERE?

I think Mary Cooper gets in some of the best lines.

Mary (talking about her cruise activities): Oh, it is a hoot and a half. You write your sins on a clay pigeon, they fire ’em up in the air, and you pulverize them with a 12-gauge shotgun full of our Lord’s forgiveness.

Sheldon: The Lord giveth and the Lord bloweth away.

Not Bernie, Leslie Winkle. She’s blackmailing him to accompany her to her cousin’s wedding in exchange for sex.

That actually wasn’t an RPG, but Settlers of Catan, a real and very enjoyable board game, half the fun of which is the number of times you will say, “Does anyone have wood for sheep?” :slight_smile: Search “Tabletop Catan” on YouTube, and you will be able to find a video of Will Wheaton and his friends playing it.

That episode also gave us this exchange, when Sheldon was interrupted while erecting a city.

Sheldon: Now where was I?
Raj: You were in the middle of an erection.
Sheldon: Oh, of course. It’s right here in my hand.

I liked her description of the “sushi” menu with that “kung-fuey writing all over it.” :smiley:

MARY COOPER: [Talking about Raj]I thought it was our Indians that had the occasional alcohol problem.

LEONARD: We don’t say that either. I’ll make you a list.

**MARY COOPER: **Oh, that’d be mighty white of you.

You don’t play a role in it? :confused:

Still more:

**SHELDON: **I want to build a road, but I need wood. Do either of you fellows have wood?

[Raj and Howard both chuckle.]

SHELDON: I don’t understand the laughter. The object of Settlers of Catan is to build roads and settlements. To do so requires wood. Now I have sheep; I need wood. Who has wood for my sheep?

Guys, there’s already a multi page thread in Thread Games of TBBT quotes.