Being in love..

Well… I suppose this would go under MPSIMS if I was talking about myself. But I don’t really want to bable at this time. So here’s the question. What’s it like being in love? How did you feel? How did it go? Did they reciprocate? Or did you get hurt?

Just thinking on my own feelings and muddled life right now so I wanna know about your guys’ experiences in love.

I felt like a whole person.
I felt like I was walking a foot above the ground.
I felt everything else in my life was better too.
I felt neither insecure nor jealous.
Someone who had no obligation to care about me (as, for instance, a parent must), really did care about me anyway.
Love songs on the radio now made sense.

How does/did it feel? Comfortable

God yes!!

It’s the ultimate “happy” drug - with a high that just goes on and on and on and…

i’m in love at the moment.
with my very own irishfella.
and he’s in love with me.

feels like part of my body is missing when we’re apart.
feels like i’m complete when we’re together.
normally i have to be constantly busy, and doing things, yet i can be perfectly content watching him sleep, or lying in his arms, saying nothing.
feels ok to make plans for the future, not scary at all.
feels like i’m the sexiest, most wondeful woman in the world when i’m with him, know that he’s the sexiest, most wonderful man in the world, even when he’s not with me.

feels like putting on a wonderful, comfy old sweater when we’re together.

just ecstatically happy, and dopey all the time.

happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy
lotsa silly smiles and the world is wonderful
it feels so good just to be, to be alive and breathing
big long sighs staring into space distractedly
thinking of her she is what I live for
Then there’s the withdrawal symptoms, ooh boy :frowning:

it hurts to breathe it’s still the same minute it was an hour ago
my eyes hurt nothing matters there’s nothing left
my life is over just waiting until I finish running down and die
i’d move but it’s too much trouble and takes too much energy
my bones hurt my body doesn’t breathe on its own
my head is stuffed full of wet heavy rocks and mildewed blankets
i can’t think don’t ask complicated questions i don’t want anything
how much longer until the day is over damn it’s the same minute it was
the last time i looked and i’m sure that was two hours ago

I’m addicted though. Even knowing the risks, I’m in :slight_smile:

Being in love allows me to relax and seems to make life so much simpler. I spent about 20 minutes trying to elaborate about the relaxation part but it really wouldn’t have made any sense to anyone but me. I can say that it’s an actual physical feeling (rather than emotional).

They reciprocated, but slowly I realised myself becoming more and more tense. It’s like my body was telling me that this wasn’t working and needed to end. The actual realization that I no longer have the feeling of relaxation and that I can’t have it until I found, whatever it is, in someone else that was the hardest part of the relationship ending (as sad as it was not to have the actual person around).

I certainly hope this makes sense.

Three reciprocal loves, one not. Of the three, the first two ended and hurt terribly - the first one less than the second. I married the third (6 1/2 years now!!). The unreciprocated love was more painful than both of the breakups, although they were pretty bad in and of themselves.

Worth it? Hell yes. Every high and every low, every peak and every valley.

Would I appreciate and understand what I have with Mrs. Gaffer not having gone through the first three? I don’t think so.

Love is best when it is crazy, silly, beautiful, exhausting, intense, ridiculous, physical, emotional, painful, and, above all, shared. Nothing like the feeling of being entwined in that swirling maelstrom together.

“I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy - ecstasy so great that I would often have sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness–that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring vision of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what–at last–I have found.” – Bertrand Russell (from What I Have Lived For in the introduction to his autobiography.)

I have always thought that the above quote pretty much sums it up, at least exponentially more eloquently than I ever could.

It’s a warm, safe feeling. You’re no longer dangling in space all by yourself. You have short-term memory loss, because you can only think of him/her. You feel like singing, laughing, and throwing up all at once. You get that fluttery feeling in your chest, that feels like you’re on an elevator that stops at every single floor.

Me? Why, I’m Romeo.
But either they were straight, or I never had the guts, because they probably were straight, or I screwed it up somehow because of the guts thing. This latest person I really think might be my Someone. I really do. But I’m second-guessing every step I make, over-analyzing everything. This might screw it over in the end maybe. Before anything happens probably.
Yeah, I’ve been in “love” (being a teen an all I of course don’t know what love is). But nobody loves me. It implies it on my arm.
Yup. It’s lonely. :frowning:
But don’t listen to me, I’m just being a whiney bag.

However, I enjoy people’s love stories and public displays of affection.

As someone else said, it’s a comfortable feeling. It makes me feel safe, and comfortable and secure. It’s when the simple things mean a million times more than extravagant gifts or elaborate displays of affection. It’s hearing your SO tell you that they love you and all your worries and problems just melt away. It’s opening yourself up completely and not being afraid to let them into your own world with your secrets and fears. It’s absolute trust and honesty without any bitterness or resentment. And most of all it’s fun.

I’ve been in love twice. The first time it wasn’t deep or fulfilling because I never really completely happy with that person. I couldn’t completely let him into my world and the relationship wasn’t completely sans bitterness or resentment or jealousy or a number of other negative emotions. I learned a lot from that relationship though and I can appriciate what I have now even more.

Now I know what real love is and it’s a wonderful feeling. It can also be very painful. Especially when you’re 450 miles away from the one you love. In the end though the distance and the time apart is worth the time we spend together.

decides to stop before the other board members start gagging from all the icky sweet mushy stuff

“Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.”-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

love felt hazy and happy, comfortable and secure, for me it is hard to describe and painful to loose my loved ones, one day i hope to be in love again.

Being in love inspires me to sing Nat King Cole or Platters tunes…

L - is for the look you gave to me,
O- is for the only one I see,
V - is very, very extraordinary,
E - is even more than anyone that you adore can love.

Only you can make this world seem right,
Only you, can make the darkness bright,
Only you, and you alone… can thrill me, like you do,
You’re my dream come true, my one and only you…

My one and only is Lola. She likes it when I sing this little Adam Sandler tune…

I wanna make you smile whenever you’re sad
Carry you around when your arthritis is bad
All I wanna do is grow old with you

I’ll get your medicine when your tummy aches
Build you a fire if the furnace breaks
Oh it could be so nice, growing old with you

I’ll miss you
Kiss you
Give you my coat when you are cold

Need you
Feed you
Even let ya hold the remote control

So let me do the dishes in our kitchen sink
Put you to bed if you’ve had too much to drink
I could be the man who grows old with you
I wanna grow old with you

I let her hold the remote, do the dishes, have tucked her in after 25+ tequila shots, and carried her up the stairs when she was 8 months pregnant with a broken ankle…

It’s love alrighty. It feels great.

Ditto.

This is the not the first time I’ve been in love. It is, however, the first time I’be been in love with someone who is not a complete psycho. (I used to seek out psychotic women. Don’t ask.)

I fell in love with my best friend. We’ve known each other 14 years. We have been close friends for most of that time while dating other people. We hooked up in March of this year.

It’s difficult because it’s a long distance relationship. When we hooked up, she was living in Sacremento and had just been accepted into Brandeis, just outside of Boston. I live in Los Angeles. Right now, I see her about 5 days a month, and it requires a 6 hour plane trip both ways to do it.

I feel great when I’m with her. Like the world is a freaking beautiful place to be. Like God loves me. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I miss her terribly when we’re apart. But when she calls and says she loves me, misses me, wants me, I can handle it. I call her and tell her that as often as I can. (that I love her, miss her, want her) I know that one day, we’ll live in the same city and see each other more often.

To me love is like some kind of wierd fruit. At first when you bite into it; its nectar is sweet and tasty; but then after you swallow it down, it leaves a bitter after-taste in your mouth!

But hey maybe I’m just a cynic.

Is it just me, or has anyone else found the reading of this thread to be a profoundly depressing experience?

In some ways yes and in some ways no… because most of these are reciprocated and others have avoided saying. Mine… well lets just say that mine I don’t know and don’t know if I can ever tell him.

Yes and no.

I would say that I’ve been in love twice in my life. Both times, it was wonderful, and fit most of what people said here. Neither time did it last. So is it possible to be that happy forever? Or be in a relationship that starts out that happy, and it somehow matures into something less giddy but just as fulfilling? Or is that all just teenage lust and I should just look for something that’s more akin to just a very close friendship?

THere’s a line in a Walter Mosley book about losing a love, but I think it applies pretty well to just falling in love as well:

“There was no song on the radio too stupid for my heart.”

Right now my love lives 500 miles away from me at the other end of the state. I can’t drive down there 'cause I can’t legally drive and can’t afford to take the bus down there, and his car isn’t reliable enough to drive up here. It feels like I’ve lost something when I’m this far away from him, but when I’m with him, I feel complete and whole and as if there’s nothing missing. I remember before I met him I just was confused and I felt like there was something missing all the time, but I wasn’t sure what. And no guy I’d dated before him could completely fill in the missing part. The fact that we’re even pursuing a long distance relationship as successfully as we are is amazing to myself, him, and pretty much anyone who knows only one of us. The others who know both of us aren’t all that surprised, but totally understand how we feel. Even if we weren’t together, we’d still be best friends, because that’s just how we are. I couldn’t imagine my life without him in it at all… it’s just too hard to imagine right now. If it ends up that we are still in love and each other’s best friend by the time that we’d be ready to settle down, I’d definitely marry this man. He makes me infinitely happy in a way that no one else has been able to. At least he’ll be up here within a couple of years if everything goes well.