Best. Simpsons. Halloween. Short. Ever.

I go back and forth between “Citizen Kang” and “The Genesis Tub”, in which Lisa creates a miniature civilization from her tooth. Fortunately, they’re both in the same episode. Does anybody know if that was a take-off from another story? I don’t recognize the plot.

That one has the best Dr. Frink line ever.

“Unshrink you? Well, that would require some sort of re-bigulator, which is a concept so ridiculous is makes me want to laugh out loud and chortle, and… [Lisa looks at him] uh… but not at you, O holiest of gods, with the wrathfulness and the vengeance and the blood rain and the hey-hey-hey-it-hurts-me”

DOOOOOOOMED!

Sorry, just fun to say. I think “Sound of Thunder” is Bradbury, but IANARBSFF.

I just looked it up. It IS Brandbury. My mistake.

I’m reasonably sure it was a reference to Carlos Castaneda.

The episode guide says Castaneda, but I think I recall a quote from a Simpsons writer saying it wasn’t a reference to him, just an incongruous comment.

“The Raven”, and the entire special that was a part of will always be my favourite.

Dial Z for Zombies!

Lisa - Dad, we did something very bad.
Homer - Did you wreck the car?
Lisa - No!
Homer: Did you raise the dead?
Lisa: Yes!
Homer: But the car’s okay?

Bart’s spell to get rid of the zombies - Trojan, Ramses, Magnum, Sheiks!

“If I’m elected, I will fill the school library with the masters of science fiction! Asimov! Bester! Clarke!”

“But what about Ray Bradbury?”

“I’m aware of his work.”

I concur with “Time and Punishment.” Especially the bit where Homer sneezes and all the dinosaurs keel over dead from the cold virus, and he says “That’s gonna cost me…”.

Brilliant.

“I wish, I wish I hadn’t sat on that fish.”

“Stupid bug! You go smash now!”

[sup]BOLDING ADDED[/sup]

Please read Theodore Sturgeon’s Microcosmic God to appreciate the source of “Genesis Tub.”

Folks, the first dozen words of my second paragraph in the OP identifies the author and story behind “Time and Punishment.” Yes, it is Ray Bradbury and the story appeared in his anthology, “Golden Apples of the Sun.”

One question. Does Homer always walk around with a slice of bread in his shirt pocket? He casually reaches for one to test the newly rewired toaster.

Homer: What was that my father told me on prom night?

Abe: Now son, remember that if you ever go back in time, DON"T TOUCH ANYTHING!..

I’m extremely glad to see how many other people appreciate the master stroke that is “Time and Punishment.”

The best part is when he goes back and starts bludgeoning everything in sight.

PS: If you need a laugh today, be sure to click on the link to “The Raven’s Story.” Have fun with that one, Pepperlandgirl?

<delurk>
First off, a hearty “me, too!” on “Time and Punishment.” What a truly excellent episode. Surprisingly, nobody has picked out my favorite bit - after Maggie axes Willie, she pulls out her pacifier and declares to the camera “Truly, this is a strange universe” (or something along those lines).

I’d also like to throw out general support for reading “Microcosmic God,” and a thank you to Zenster for the Raven link. Quite good.

And now it’s time for me to slink away for another six months or so. Wouldn’t want to get my post count up.
</delurk>

-ellis

Thanks Zenster for that successful bit of ignorance-fighting.

“This is indeed a disturbing universe.”

That was also the voice of James Earl Jones, I believe.

I vote for the Twilight Zone referencing “Bart the Monster”. It’s a good original, nightmarish type story for me.

…By the way, in “Time and Punishment” what was Homer referring to when he said “I’m the first non-Brazillian to travel through time”? …

I always thought it was a reference to The Time Tunnel and the two lead actors from the show. They are extremely well-tanned and I just assumed they were Brazilian.

http://www.tvparty.com/tunnel.html

Quoth the Raven, (Bart’s voice) “Eat my shorts!”

That’s right. The line as originally written had Homer state he was the first cartoon character to travel through time (which still makes sense with the Mr. Peabody joke).

I can’t think of a favorite, but here’s some lines from some of my favorites that haven’t even shown up in this thread yet:

Attack of the 50-Foot Eyesores

“D’oh! Nuts!”

“He came to life. Good for him.”

“I told you, Flanders has it! Or Moe…go kill Moe.”

“That wasn’t the monster. That was the captain of the high school basketball team.”
“He was turning into a monster.”

Don’t watch the…don’t watch the monsters…monsters… Well, it’ll sound a lot better coming out of Paul Anka.”

…and Dial Z for Zombies

“…from A-Apple to Z-Zebra, Baby’s First Pop-Up Book is 26 pages of alphabet adventure.”
“You mean to tell me you read a book intended for preschoolers?”
“Most of it.”

“Is this the end of Zombie Shakespeare?”

“Dad, you killed the Zombie Flanders!”
“He was a zombie?”

Nope, its this relatively famous movie by Terry Gilliam:

Brazil http://us.imdb.com/Title?0088846

I thought that reference was about "Brazil! I went and examined a synopsis of the movie and didn’t see any time travel references there, so I didn’t post it.

Growl!

This was in my sig for a long time. Might still be there. I never use my sig. :wink:

You guys have covered all my favorites, so I’ll stop now… :wink: