Better Call Saul (Season 3)

He may simply be plotting to turn Jimmy’s allies against him. Ernesto now knows what skullduggery Jimmy is capable of, as does Howard.

Damn it.

It is unclear.

So what happened to Gene? Heart attack? Panic attack?

I’m wondering if there’ll be some climactic clash between Chuck & Jimmy that may accidentally cause the death of Chuck. With that, it’ll be too much for Kim to accept and she’ll leave Jimmy and the combination of the loss of his brother and Kim will turn Jimmy into Saul

I was thinking of something along those lines… I hope Kim survives whatever the writers decide to do. Wouldn’t hurt to keep your only female in the main cast around. And she’s so great on the show.

They have to keep her around. While Jimmy thinks Chuck is his Jiminy Cricket, in actual fact, it’s Kim. Chuck just annoys Jimmy with his holier-than-thou moralizing, but Kim actually makes him stop and think twice, and sometimes even want to change.

Their ultimate falling out will probably be key to the series ultimate end game.

My money is on vaso-vagal reflex due to him re-entering his old life for a moment, then realizing the implications.

What if we just witnessed Gene’s awakening? What if he starts moving from being purely Gene back towards Saul?

What if Gene ends up in the hospital?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

It wasn’t necessarily a linear trip from being out in the desert straight to the junkyard. He likely went home and dropped off the weapons, then to the junkyard.

Oh I would love that! Gene has long avoided the police like crazy - even sat for hours in a room with the trash dumpster when the door accidently locked. I loved it when he suddenly jumped up and yelled, “Get a lawyer!” to that kid - who hadn’t been read his rights. That outburst maybe shocked Gene into a panic faint. Could this be a little sliver of what’s to come … leading us up to Saul being discovered?

Can I mention one thing about last season? I watched season 2 again in anticipation of the new season but one thing bugged me:

When Kim resigned, how come she didn’t need to serve out any notice period? IRL surely you’d do some kind of hand-over for a few weeks (though IANAL)?
Kinda spoiled my enjoyment of the mesa verde thread.

IANAL either but I would assume it’s exactly because of the Mesa Verde type thing- in many industries dependent on regular clients, there is a worry that allowing the person to stay on gives them too much access to client information. Granted, they could have gathered that before hand but it does lessen the time for someone to take the clients with whom they have a relationship with them. I imagine the clients here very strictly belong to the firm and not any individual lawyer.

Case in point, I worked for a vet that employed a groomer with the understanding that the clients were the hospital’s clients and not her clients. She was allowed to stay on through her notice which gave her the time to copy each client’s card. She left the cards but took many of the clients with her to the new shop. Of course, not the same level of lawyer and it’s debateable if she was really in the wrong, but it was a concern and justifiably so.

Sure, but you can do that anyway if it’s your decision to quit. Nothing’s stopping you from gathering client details prior to handing in your resignation.
The only difference with a notice period is you need to train others to take over your responsibilities, plus tell clients you’re leaving weeks in advance of you actually going. Thus basically averting a mesa verde situation.

Answering my own question, we can just say HHM used their discretion to give her “garden leave”. But if so, it was a very bad decision.

How did you rewatch S2? I tried to watch through Comcast on-demand but I would have had to buy the episodes at $3 each.

AMC had a marathon preceding the S3 premier Monday night.

This is what I assumed. Hence the tools (I doubt the junkyard would loan tools). So I figured he went home, dropped off the rifle, and then picked up the tools.

I felt like this was a slow episode overall, the Jimmy part seemed mostly like a rehash. Since they’re starting a new season they have to do a bit of a recap and make sure all the pieces are moving again so I can’t really ‘dock points’ for that.

I liked Mike’s portion of the show. I do feel like they dropped the ball on making it clear that he found the gas cap transmitter in the extra car, that scene was confusing to me. One thing I like about Mike is that he’s highly competent but in a believable way - he has decades of military and police experience so he’s competent with weapons, surveillance, and general information gathering, and is an old, confident, patient man willing to spend all day breaking down a car to try to find a bug. But he never really does ‘superman’ stuff like Walt did, and he doesn’t always win. I suspect this is how Mike gets in contact with Gus’s organization. Really liked the touch of the vet asking about the puppy - he’s not just a ‘mob guy with a front business’, he really does care about the animals. One of this show’s strengths is that even characters who are just there to serve a plot purpose have interesting quirks that aren’t required for the purpose.

On Jimmy’s portion, I think the tape is going to be used to hurt Jimmy through Kim. Either he’s going to play it for Kim, or they’ll play it for Mesa Verde to disrupt her relationship with them (they won’t get Mesa Verde back). I really liked Air Force guy, and I think his character turned up for foreshadowing - some of Jimmy’s clever tricks are going to bite him and cost him his respectable clientele. Does Ernesto possibly have some relationship to Gus Fring? There are only two Spanish-speaking black guys on the show, so it’s kind of an odd coincidence. It’s possible that Chuck expects Ernesto to go to Jimmy. Hamlin is clearly just getting sick of the nonsense, when he talks to Chuck about ‘why did you make this tape’ it’s clear to me that he thinks it’s all a disasterously bad idea and just wants to go back to running a profitable law firm.

On Cinabon time, something is brewing too. A wanted guy living under a fake name who makes a scene in front of the cops who’s now going to go to the ER can get himself into a lot of trouble.

Something doesn’t add up with the gas cap transmitter. Imagine the series of events from the tracker’s side: you see that Mike has driven out to the desert, presumably to involve himself with a drug dealer, you leave a note on his car that says “DON’T”. You have just tipped your hand, quote obviously. You’re still tracking Mike. You see him immediately drive to a junkyard where he spends 8 hours and then leaves the car there. Compromise is now definite. A few days later, your tracker in Mike’s other car reads “low battery” weeks before it should have run out. But you, like a dummy, send a guy out to replace the battery anyway. And rather than replace it on the spot with a simple AA battery swap, your underling brings the suspiciously-depleted tracker with him back to your hideout to say “Gee boss, it ain’t workin’”.

Dumbest crooks ever?

Also, if you have Netflix, they have the first two seasons.

I did a search for and found this device, which isn’t quite the same (it’s a GPS device instead of a using a special tracking device) but does give an idea of battery life. It only gets about 60 hours of motion tracking, so about two weeks at 4 hours per day of movement: http://www.spytechs.com/gps/TracKing.htm So I don’t expect that the tracker they’re using usually gets more than a few weeks of life. And they probably don’t get brand new batteries and test them each time, they probably do like most people and buy a big pack of AA batteries at one time and use them as they’re needed, so battery life is variable. And they might not even put fresh batteries in each time, since the ‘low battery’ time is probably pretty long. And they’re probably low-level mooks, so they’re much less attentive than Mike would be. So having a tracker go to ‘low battery’ a few days earlier than you might expect isn’t really that noticeable to them.

A battery swap on the spot wouldn’t be simple. They need to remove the gas cap, snap it open (making noise), fiddle with the parts to put in new batteries in the dark where they could drop a key piece, snap it all back together with more noise and time, plus a risk of breaking a plastic piece, and then put it back and leave. Replacing the ‘low battery’ tracker with a good one that’s already in a gas cap makes perfect sense because it’s much quieter and quicker swap a single gas cap than to mess around with fiddly, noisy parts, your chance of getting caught or breaking something and exposing the operation is so much less.

Yeah, they’re incautious, but they’re not hilariously incompetent.