Birth Rape. Now I've heard everything.

During childbirth, a lot of politeness is cast aside for expediency and by necessity, but calling a less than perfect childbirth rape? Please.

I found this definition:

A vulnerable woman, who is powerless to leave the situation, is at times held down against her will, has strangers looking & touching at private parts of her body, perhaps without appropriate measures being taken to acknowledge her ownership of her body or to preserve her comfort levels. Perhaps she has fingers or instruments inserted without her consent, and sometimes against her consent, invading and crossing decent boundaries. She is fearful of what is happening to her and perhaps for the wellbeing of her baby, and receives no reassurance that either she or her child are ok. That is a violation, no matter how you look at it. Even IF this treatment is given with no malice and the intent of attempting to assist her with birthing her child, there is NEVER a reason to forgo common decencies that will enable her to maintain a role in the birth, some autonomy over her body, to be involved in the decision-making, to be informed about what they want to do BEFORE they do it.

This was on Salon.com "Writer and activist Amity Reed adds, “Fingers, hands, suction cups, forceps, needles and scissors … these are the tools of birth rape and they are wielded with as much force and as little consent as if a stranger grabbed a passer-by off the street and tied her up before having his way with her.”

Birth in a hopital is a medical procedure. What are these women expecting to happen?

That’s pretty ridiculous.

Having said that, my ex had a really tough time during her first birth. The delivery doctor was rough on her and basically turned her vagina and anus in to one opening. And was a complete bitch about it, essentially telling her to get over it.

My ex said it felt a little like rape.

There aren’t enough :rolleyes: in the world.

I gave birth in a hospital. I had every manner of hand, tool, finger, etc shoved up my hoo-ha. At one point the attending physician had her hand in my uterus trying to turn Junior so I could push him out (he was transverse).

When writing my ‘Ideal Birth Plan’ was that stuff on the menu? No, of course not. Is it possible to equate it with rape even in the vaguest, most distanced sort of way? Hells no. And I’m speaking as someone who’s actually been raped. You know, with a penis.

Just what the world needs - another twat woman making us all look like loonies.

Rape’s bad enough. But I was in the hospital a couple of years ago and a doctor stabbed me in the stomach. And then he stole my gall bladder.

It would seem like personal experience seems to differ then your opinion.

Of course I don’t think it’s rape. But, when I hear about some of the stories women have to go through, practically being treated as a breeding machine and not a living, breathing human woman, I am aghast. And it really does happen that way - doctors inserting tools or their fingers without even so much as a “how do you do”. It is demeaning.

They call it rape because they think it will draw more attention. Of course, it backfires badly.

I object to the use of the word “rape” in non-rape situations. However, having been treated like cattle duriing my c-section, left compeltely alone in extreme pain for two hours (with a call button I couldn’t reach), and refused the right even to see my perfectly healthy baby for almost three hours, I can tell you that the level of violation is pretty darn close.

At one point the surgeon yelled at me for crying. When I asked how the baby was, they shushed me (there was no problem at all, they could just as easily have said the word “fine.”)

I was in the hospital for five days, and the nurses checked on us 1-2 times per day. On the third day the nurse yelled at me for not taking good enough notes on her care. I told her the pen had run out and I had requested a new one three times. She rolled her eyes at me.

This was in the best hospital, in the richest county, in the USA.

:smack: Holy frijoles, you might as well argue that open heart surgery or hysterectomy is sexual abuse for a woman because you’re exposing her private parts while she’s unable to give consent.

I would think that if you’re getting medical help for a difficult birth it’s because you A) want to deliver the child as fast and safely as you can and B) want to live to tell about it. To me that implies some kind of consent to get poked and prodded downbelowdecks.

The author of that article seems to think the Magic Sprinkle Baby Fairy Angel should appear unto a woman in labor and wave her Magic Baby Wand so that POOF! Mommy’s suddenly sitting up in bed with her hair and makeup perfectly done and the child sleeping angelically while tucked up neatly in a gender-appropriate-color blanket.

There was a thread on this a while back, and I stand by my original statement there:

Don’t you think your entire experience could be classified as crappy bedside manner and uncaring attitude?

I had a close to two week stay at Beekman Downtown hospital (I think the name has since changed), and I have to tell you, if I got shot two feet from their entrance, I would crawl on my hands and knees to another hospital rather than stay there again. The medical care was appropriate, but the lack of communication and general attitude of the staff was shocking. I was scared and unsure, and I couldn’t get a straight answer from anyone. Even though it involved my vagina and uterus, I can’t imagine comparing my treatment to rape.

The Hyperbolic Rape Nazis strike again.

They’re like Smurfs but with the word “rape”.
That being said, as someone mentioned earlier, it could be malpractice. Or maybe experience has taught them that people pushing 8 pounds of bony flesh out of them over several hours aren’t very good at weighing the pros and cons of medical care options. Some of the incidents people mention here don’t seem to have any possible justification though.

Callous douchebag doctors are a dime a dozen, but Obstetricians are not special in that regard.

My mother had a hysterectomy under a general anesthetic. Imagine! She was out cold and unable to consent to anything and they ran off with her entire womb!

And I stand by mine: “Birth rape” is an absurd term, and there’s already a term for doctors performing procedures without the consent of the patient: “medical battery”.

But that’s not what we’re talking about here! What we are talking about is a lack of respect in one of the more vulnerable times of your life. Not treating us like a piece of meat.

However, medical battery sounds like a good term; birth rape sounds like you are blaming the child for raping your vagina by coming out of it. :eek:

But if she’d gone in for a tubal, and the doctor had decided that she really needed a hysterectomy instead, and went ahead and did it without waking her up first to consult–even though it wasn’t a life or death matter–how would she have felt about it? That sort of thing happens in medicine, especially in womens medicine. It happened a lot more 20 or 40 or 60 years ago, no doubt, but it does go on.

I agree that “birth rape” is needlessly hyperbolic, but “medical battery” certainly exists, is different than malpractice, and ought to be a big deal when it occurs.

Good to know! Then that would indeed be what I’d call this, rather than malpractice: medical battery.

Unlike many other medical procedures where a variety of frightening tools are used, the big thing is, the woman IS awake. It doesent change the need for those tools, just the perception.

To make things even messier childbirth as all of the additional emotional baggage of baby.

ALOT of things can and do go wrong in delivery rooms, there are dozens of common complications of pregnancy that used to kill women on a regular basis. Now that the women live to tell about someone wants to create a criminal association for the horror of the experience that still produced a live mom, and a live baby. They don’t bust out all the power tools unless something goes weird, they will say “everything will be ok” because they have dealt with complication X dozens of times and they know how to manage it.

Surgical medicine is not for the squeamish or weak of heart, and with a baby in distress, you don’t have 10 minutes to discuss it in committee before deciding to go elbow deep into mom fishing for the prolapsed cord, its now or dead baby. Dead baby will of course result in lawsuit as well even if the doctor did nothing wrong or waited because mom was having a moral quandary about a c-cection.

Labor and delivery teams are very much like a specialized emergency room team. You dont expect an ER team to be all warm and fuzzy when shit goes sideways, you expect them to be competent, and to save your life.

Medical battery in this situation is kinda silly. You probably consented in writing as part of your admission for a variety of common methods for assisting with delivery up to and including emergency c-section.

Ever? I mean, I don’t think it’s common, but I’d hesitate to say never.

Too bad a labor-enbattled mother probably doesn’t have the wherewithal to say something witty to jagoff doctors like, “How interesting. My vagina is being plundered by assholes.”

I am so happy to be childfree. But if I wasn’t about to be, I would demand to be knocked out cold. The hell with natural childbirth.

Or is that even an option these days?