[QUOTE=acsenray]
Okay, that’s not the name of the company, right? It’s Macdonald Dettwiler & Associates, right? It has got to be just an unfortunate abbreviation.
[/QUOTE]
I had presumed so, but absent the appropriate abbreviation punctuation I’m perfectly willing to take it at face value.
Apparently there is a company around here called E.A.T. Waste Management Services. It always startles me a bit when I’m driving along and see a sign that says
Here in massachusetts, at least until recently, we had the infamous candy called Squirrel Nut Zippers whuich sounds almost obscene.
I’ve used Fluke power m,eters and high voltage attenuators, but the name has always bothered me. I imagine an advertising slogan, that, to the best of my knowledge, they never used: “If it works, It’s a Fluke!”
Similarly, an English literary journal that published some of Tolkien’s stuff was Time and Tide. I imagine their editorial policy on deadlines: “We wait for no Man.”
Ah, but in Canada we have Fluke Transport. Their slogan really is “If it’s on time, it’s a Fluke!” (The website is broken at the moment so I can’t tell if they use it there, but it’s on all of of their trucks)