3. I am dead.
  4. My last name begins with L.
  5. I am not American.

And three more DQs.

You are not Jean Baptiste Lamarck or C.S. Lewis

DQ 1: Are you a writer?
DQ 2: Are you a scientist?

Guess I was way off with Luke then.

Although I have written a couple of books, I am not best known as a writer.
I am not a scientist.

Summary for L:

1. I am real.
  2. I am male.
  3. I am dead.
  5. I am not American.
  6. Although I have written a couple of books, I am not best known as a writer.
  7. I am not a scientist.

IQ1: Did a chance encounter with you encourage a young John Diefenbaker to dream of being Prime Minister one day?

IQ2: After a bad experience in a bank, do you keep all your money in a sock?

IQ3: Was Gabriel Dumont your right hand man?

Lou Ferrigno was impressive as The Incredible Hulk in the 70’s TV show. The film pioneer I was going for was August Lumiere, and you got Fritz Lang as my IQ3.

DQ. Did you die before 1950?
DQ. Are you European?

IQ1. Was being elected President of the US only good enough to become arguably the second most powerful man from your high school class?

IQ2. Were you the partner of the man who would later launch Adolph Hitler to power?

IQ3. Are you a multiple winner of the Buckeye Newshawk Award?

On IQ1, I am not sir Wilfred Laurier. I remember seeing the statute in Saskatoon–great story!

For IQ2, I am not Stephen Leacock. That was “My Financial Career,” wasn’t it?

For IQ3, I’ll try Louis Riel. If I’m wrong, a DQ is yours.

I never would have got Ferrigno, even though I watched the show when it was on; but I’ll :smack: on Lumiere. We studied him in a film studies course I once took, and (now) I remember the professor talking about his influence.

I did not die before 1950.
I am European.

Summary for L:

1. I am real.
  2. I am male.
  3. I am dead.
  5. I am not American.
  7. I am not a scientist.
  8. I did not die before 1950.
  9. I am European.

I am unsure on IQ1. My first thought was Abraham Lincoln, but I know he had very little schooling, and I’m unsure if they had high schools in his day anyway. So I’ll try the only other “L” president I can think of: Lyndon B. Johnson.

On IQ2, I have no idea. DQ for you.

On IQ3 though, since I have never won any Buckeye Newshawk Awards, nor any Silver Sows, nor any Copper Cobs; I cannot be Les Nessman of WKRP.

Lester Bangs, Shakespeare’s Laertes (whose father Polonius advised him to “neither a borrower nor a lender be”), and Alan Lomax.

DQ1: Are you best known as a political figure?
DQ2: Were the books you wrote originally published in English?
DQ3: Were you born before 1900?

i was going for Leonides

DQ: Were you a Politician?

IQ1 - Lex Luthor was elected President in the DC Comics Universe, but as his classmate was Clark Kent, AKA Superman, Luthor can be argued to not be the powerful member of his high school class.

IQ2 - Erich Ludendorff was the partner/co-commander of the German Army in World War 1 with Paul von Hindenburg. Hindenburg, of course, went on to become President of the Weimar Republic, and in 1933 appointed Hitler to the Chancellorship.

I’ll hang on to my DQs for a bit until we see some of the other DQs answered.

Yes, Lionel Jefferson for the first.
Langston Hughes next.
Abraham Lincoln is the third. His and his wife’s visit to Niagara Falls is the only known instance when he might have left the country, but the record of his visit is sparse.

DQs:

British?
In the creative arts (literature, painting, movies, TV, etc.)?

IQs:

Have you and another girl been pitted against one another for a long time now?
Did a writer play you in an unusual movie appearance?
Was Biggs a buddy of yours?

Ah, thank you. I’m unfamiliar with Bangs and Lomax, but as a lover of Shakespeare, I should have known Laertes. Another :smack: for me. Onward:

I am not a political figure.
The books I wrote were originally published in English.
I was not born before 1900.

I was not a politician. (Doesn’t this overlap with Enginerd’s question about a political figure? Regardless, I won’t count it towards the total number of DQs.)

Summary for L:

1. I am real.
  2. I am male.
  3. I am dead.
  5. I am not American.
  7. I am not a scientist.
  9. I am European.
  10. I am not a political figure.
  11. The books I wrote were originally published in English.
  12. I was not born before 1900.

Some excellent questions! Luthor would never have occurred to me, even though Superman is one of the few superheroes I know about. And Ludendorff–well, let’s just say that you fought some ignorance today. Looking forward to your DQs!

Lincoln! Really? I have the Sandburg biography of Lincoln, though I admit (somewhat sheepishly) I have yet to read it fully. I’ll have to have a look. As for Hughes, I’ve read his poetry; I never connected him with the Harlem Renaissance. More ignorance fought–well done!

I am British.
I am in the creative arts (literature, painting, movies, TV, etc.).

Summary for L:

1. I am real.
  2. I am male.
  3. I am dead.
  5. I am not American.
  7. I am not a scientist.
  9. I am European.
  10. I am not a political figure.
  11. The books I wrote were originally published in English.
  12. I was not born before 1900.
  13. I am British.
  14. I am in the creative arts (literature, painting, movies, TV, etc.).

The first is interesting. Perhaps it is because our friend Wargamer got me thinking of Superman, in his above question about Lex Luthor; but all I can think of is the bit of rivalry between Lois Lane and Lana Lang over Clark Kent. If I’m wrong, take another DQ.

The second, I have no idea. Take another DQ.

The third is undoubtedly Luke Skywalker.

IQ1: Are you a German fashion dsigner?
IQ2: Did you star with Diane Lane in “A Little Romance?”
IQ3: Did the governor of New York commute your sentence in return for your supposed help during WWII and an agreement to accept deportation?

IQ1: Have you been billed under the pseudonyms Dr. Winston O’Boogie and Winston Leg-thigh?
IQ2: Are you a photographer known for the covers of Rolling Stone and Vanity Fair?
IQ3: Did you attribute your terminal brain tumor to your use of steroids while playing in the NFL?

DQ - Are you British?
DQ - Is your field of artistic endeavour musical?

Gah, missed the British question that was answered already, so if I may, let me substitute:

Have you won any major awards for your art?

Veronica Lodge (and Betty Cooper) in the Archie comics.
Truman Capote played Lionel Twain in Murder by Death.
Yes, Luke Skywalker.

I’ll reserve my DQs pending your answers to Wargamer.

If you want a great, and more recent, bio of the 16th President, I highly recommend Lincoln by David Herbert Donald. This also might be of interest: http://clevelandcivilwarroundtable.com/articles/comment/lincoln_books.htm.

IQs:

Did you build the beautiful mansion Hildene in Vermont?
Were you a leading muckraking reporter?
Was your Whig dad tight with Henry Clay?

I have no idea about the German fashion designer, but I’m not Laurence Olivier or Lucky Luciano.

Still, I won’t hand out a DQ because…

…I am John Lennon

John Winston Lennon, to be precise, thus the inspiration for his somewhat unorthodox pseudonyms. Also, the author of In His Own Write and A Spaniard in the Works, and an artist; but best known as a musician.

Well done, Enginerd! Take us away on the next one.

(Aside to Elendil’s Heir: Thanks for the tip on the Donald biography and the link–I’ll look into those.)