Brilliant! The Cabin Pressure appreciation thread

If you were wondering what the characters are up to now, read on…

The team from the Souvenir programme did a live show, called John Finnemore’s Flying Visit. Mostly sketches from Souvenir, it also included an interview between Patsy Straightwoman and… Arthur Shappey. Brilliant! Goes into some detail on what happened next…

Notes from an audience member (not me) can be found here, and in the spoiler below:

I suspect we might both be…middle class.

Your lucky she didn’t develop an elaborate plan to steal it.

Or maybe she did and nobody ever caught her…

This made me inordinately happy to read. Thank you.

Shit…you may be right, I am from very common north-eastern stock (I even just had a corned-beef and onion toastie for my lunch) but I have been down in the south-east for 20 years now and my children have a very different accent to my wife and I. They are dead posh.

Well there was a sort of “pick and mix” basket of minatures nearby and plenty of cosmetic stands for clear nail varnish so…

bless her, she’s a sharp little cookie but completely incapable of lying convincingly. Very much an “Arthur” in that respect. She’d be the world’s worst thief.

Here I am, don’t tread on me.
Here I am, don’t tread on me.
Here I am, don’t tread on me…

sounds like a cross between the office and wings ……

A cross between the office and wings … and Beyond The Fringe.

And Arrested Development and Parks & Rec and Mr. Bean and Extras and Hot Fuzz and Little Britain and Fawlty Towers…

(Oh, someone did an homage to Cabin Pressure in a “Nikon Ad” style. Just a nice reminder of a brilliant series.)
So, what if I’ve listened to all of Cabin Pressure and Souvenir Programme four times through… and need more humor like this?

Finnemore has written for Mitchell & Webb (both on radio - “That Mitchell & Webb Sound” - and television - “That Mitchell & Webb Look”). I’d also recommend Radio 4 comedy panel show “The Unbelievable Truth” in which players give lengthy speeches on given topics filled with lies and only five actual truths, and the other contestants have to identify the true statements. I’m not sure whether any of those are generally available other than waiting for them to come around on the Radio iPlayer as they do periodically but they are definitely worth a listen.

“John Finnemore’s Double Acts” are half-hour comedy plays rather than sketches and are less wacky than “Cabin Pressure”; some are absolutely brilliant (“Penguin Diplomacy” remains my favorite) and some are meh (“The Rebel Alliance”) but Finnemore has a gift for the last-minute plot twist that make it worth hanging on to the end each time.

Hey, chief! I might be wrong about this, but this thread looks like a lot of fun! That makes me feel super happy! What do you think about that?

Oh, dear, he’s chipper again
(I say things like that when my college students gush about something, in my world-weary First Officer Douglas Richardson voice. Which of course none of them recognize…)

And after searching for them online for months, just this evening I found that they’re suddenly available on iTunes! Along with individual seasons of Souvenir Programme. *
Which is… ooh it’s, err. It’s, umm, it’s just that it’s… it’s, err…*

Douglas: I think what we may be witnessing here is Arthur attempting to describe something with an adjective other than “brilliant.”
Yeah, n-n-no I wouldn’t say it was b-b- I mean obviously everything’s b-b-br…*

I must admit I was a little disappointed in “double Acts” - they seemed to be more quirky for the sake of being clever rather than funny. I was going to give them up, but - ‘It’s John Finnemnore’.

And then “Penguin Diplomacy” arrived. Brilliant!

The cheesecake is poison!
The cheesecake is poison!

Was just listening to Gdansk again. When Douglas gives Martin the hints on the Seven Dwarfs, and then Martin says them over the intercom, they’re in the same order.

And Cabin Pressure fans might check out the sitcom Mom, see if anything about it seems familiar.

I did and I don’t. Can you give us a hint?

Hint:“See” is not the right word for it.Answer:[spoiler]They have the same theme music, Overture to Ruslan and Lyudmila by Mikhail Glinka. Here are the credits to Mom, although I wouldn’t be too surprised if they’re usually cut down to a few seconds so the network can squeeze in extra commercials.

Yellow car.[/spoiler]

That’s great, and here I was racking my brain: “Did Roger Allam* guest star as a drunk uncle? Did a yellow car go past in Episode 4? Do they have a dog named Snooperdoop?” It would’ve bugged me for months…
*By the way, I watch “Endeavour” just to hear that Co-Pilot Douglas Richardson voice…
He really is an excellent actor.

OK, so now I feel obligated to check it out.

a little treat for you, Roger Allam giving it full throttle as King Lear

OK, so I plan to give this a shot. I have a question.

I have kids and was hoping to perhaps listen to this in the car on longer car rides. Is it family appropriate or not?

I have no idea whether your kids would appreciate it or not, but I don’t remember anything in it that’d be inappropriate for kids.