[QUOTE=Unauthorized Cinnamon]
I for one don’t necessarily have a problem with mixing science fiction and mysticism. I understand there are purists here, and I can see their point, but personally, if it’s done well, I think it would be fine. However, I expected her death to somehow help the fleet - reveal another signpost to Earth, or at least save them from a Cylon attack. But - nothing. Clearly she’s coming back - I hope they can make it interesting, because her “death” sure wasn’t.
[/QUOTE]
The goofy thing about complaints that “they got mysticism in my hard sci-fi!” is that most of the other major sci-fi series have done the same damn thing. Sure, in Star Trek or Stargate, they were “higher-order beings / beings of pure energy,” but it’s mystical mumbojumbo nonetheless. Heck, Babylon 5 had an episode where the station was rented out so that the dead could come back for one night. Farscape had Zhaan’s mysticism, and quite a few other instances, as well. Moaning over mysticism in BSG seems another instance of “it’s bad, because it’s not what I want to see.”
Also, from Ron’s podcast, I’m not so sure that Starbuck is coming back. He’s pretty clear that she’s not pining for the fjords, but that she’s dead. She’s shuffled off her mortal coil, run down the curtain, and joined the choir invisible. She is an ex-Starbuck. Yeah, mayb she’ll be back.
But maybe one thing about this episode won’t be cliché-driven, and she won’t. Now, that would turn expectations on their heads, which seems to have been Ron’s point for this whole sorry exercise he put us through.