Calling Bullshit on Rob Zombie

And if you’re lucky, maybe you’ll find one that knows how to spell “Jourgensen.”

What makes you think it’s bullshit if you haven’t seen the movie?

I’ve seen the movie. It doesn’t glorify the violence and it doesn’t cheer for the bad guys.

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Did YOU fall asleep in the fireplace, or did the dog?

Please tell me the fireplace was cold.

I. And it was.
I suppose I should clarify and say they never really used that fireplace. It wasn’t filthy, but it was a sight dustier than your average kitchen counter.

It was a rather chilly night as well, so I’m probably lucky I didn’t catch the floo.

I’m really very sorry. I absolutely couldn’t restrain myself.

Has Eutychus jumped ship on his thread?

Adam

Could you blame him?

Were you repulsed by the violence? Did this film teach you that violence was nasty?

Or did you want to see a gory horror film? (and I ain’t saying that there’s anything wrong with that)

I’m too jaded. I did feel sympathy and anger on the part of the victims and I wanted the bad guys to be punished.

I already knew that.

I was hoping to be scared. The reviews made it sound like the kind of movies that scared me as a kid.

So did everybody else.

This kind of movie isn’t the kind of thing that scares me (I prefer ghost stories). And there’s no judgment in that statement. Again, I don’t fault Zombie for making the film. I don’t fault anyone for liking the film.

And I don’t really like the “glorifying violence” line any better than you do. I mean it’s not like he’s advocating anyone *doing * violence. The violence and gore is part and parcel of the sub-genre and I don’t think he has to apologize for that.

But can you tell me that the line I quoted didn’t set off your BS meter just a little bit?

No, because I thought that his intention was not to revel in the violence but to scare the audience by making the violence authentic and believable. That’s what made those other movies effective. A movie like Last House On the Left* had a very unsettling verisimilitude to it. It didn’t seem like a movie, it seemed like it was really happening and that made it far more viscerally effective. As I said before, there was a kind of exhilaration in really being scared by those movies and in not having the reassurance that the good guys would win. I felt like that was what Zombie was going for. To be honest, I don’t think he succeeded as well as those films but I do that was his intent and he did acheive a pretty accomplished and stylish piece of work.

One more thing, I don’t believe that Rob Zombie was trying to teach a lesson about violence or that he intended to say that. I believe what he was trying to say in that quote was that trhe violence would be more emotionally effective - more scary- if it looked mean and nasty rather than stylized or comic or sanitized.

if you get a bunch of friends, some booze, and a pile of Rob Zombie/White Zombie music you can play the “Yeah” drinking game…every time Rob says “Yeah” you drink…if you can last through even one album you are a fucking alcholic.

oh yeah that was a reference to Mr. Zombies Creative abilities.

Could be he’s out watching the movie.

Which seems like a good idea before critiquing it, I have to agree. I don’t know how many times I’ve watched a trailer and ads for a movie that made it seem the best thing to happen to cinema since spliced film. After having actually seen the movie, I had to check to make sure I’d walked into the right theatre. Sometimes the movie was just awful, other times the ads just didn’t capture the movie. Blair Witch sounded interesting and potentially really scary, based on ads. Turned out, the only thing about that movie that scared me was how much it annoyed me.

Which got me to wondering about Mr. Zombie and his movies. Upthread it seemed that his were considered scary in the same way as Texas Chainsaw Massacre and other scary movies of that era. Chainsaw Massacre didn’t scare me, it sickened me, but I wasn’t scared. Since I’ve not seen his movies, is this true of them? Is he failing to deliver fright just as much as modern horror movies fail, as well? Because he’s dead on about this new stuff. Startling me just makes me want to smack the director. Anybody can startle BOO! see? A brainless spider can startle me and on a much smaller budget, too. It takes talent to really scare people. I can’t think of a horror film in recent years that did anything but make me jump at loud noises.

He should hire you to do his press. That would have been a MUCH better quote.

Nope … been out actually enjoying life and now I’m heading to work.

Tell you what … go look at some of the graphics on Rob Zombie’s website (I’ll not link because they’re probably not safe for here) and tell me that he’s not glorifying violence. Then go read some of his lyrics. Then tell me why I should pay 8 dollars to subject myself to more of the same in a dark movie theater.

:smack:

the funny thing is i used to be proud of my “mad spelling skills”. such is the tao.

This is a sequel to House of 1000 Corpses, and it’s supposed to be scary? Aren’t sequels usually in the same genre as the originals? :wink:

I love scary movies and even scary video games. I have no problem with gore… I liked Cabin Fever and I was so into Mortal Kombat that I maintained the newsgroup’s FAQ. But I found 1000 Corpses to be crap. Sadistic, yes; scary, no.

You’re a knee jerk idiot. Anyone who spends more that, oh say 5 minutes on his website quickly realizes that if Rob Zombie gloryfies anything it’s shlocky horror movies from the 70’s. Listen to his music, casually glance at his liner notes, read any interview him where he says as much, realise that we’re talking about a man who’s named himself ROB ZOMBIE.

It’s tongue in cheek, except his 2 movies which are an attempt to do 70’s style horror straight, and you’re an idiot to be upset by any of it.