Calvin and Hobbes - wisdom you live by.

For something that’s “just a comic”, Calvin and Hobbes contains an amazing amount of highly quotable wisdom and (semi-)philosophy. Some of these quotes have made into my daily view on life. Examples:

“Things are never so bad that they can’t get worse.” Gloomy, I know, but highly appropriate sometimes.

“A good compromise leaves everybody mad.”

“Provoking a reaction is not the same as saying something significant.”

“Cooking must be hard if you antropomorphise your vegetables.” Calvin says this after seeing his mom crying because she’s cutting up an onion. I use it to mean that if you think too hard about it, you can find moral objections to even the most trivial things.

There are more, of course. So what’s your favourite pearl of wisdom from the mouths of our favourite little boy-tiger combo? Or do you extract your philosophy from another comic?

hey… i get a lot of wisdom (actually perspective would be a better word) from C&H too… think my favourite ones are those where is dad is explaining stuff to him… 2 really stand out… one where dad i trying to explain colour vs. B&W and another where he explains that the sun sets everyday in the west (at arizona, near falstaff)… simply sublime !!

“Don’t mess my smock or I’ll clean your clock”

“A day that doesn’t result in grass-stains is a day wasted” … or words to that effect.

Grim

Damn, typically I can place a strip but this one I can figure where it comes from so I can’t make sure the quote is exact.

Calvin responding to being told that life is unfair.
“I know, but why can’t it ever be unfair in my favor?”

Calvin standing at the bus-stop, scowl on his face and cloud over his head.
Suzie arrives, says something like “What’s up?”
Calvin cuts her dead with a nasty remark.
“Fine”, says Suzie, now scowling and with her own cloud.

The final pic has Calvin grinning and scowling at the same time, and thinking…

“Nothing improves a bad mood like spreading it around”

Calvin: Look, a dead bird!

Hobbes: It must’ve hit the window.

Calvin: Isn’t it beautiful? It’s so delicate.

Sighhh… Once it’s too late, you appreciate what a miracle life is.

You realize that nature is ruthless and our existence is very fragile, temporary and precious.

But to go on with your daily affairs. you can’t really think about that.

… which is probably why everyone takes the world for granted and why we act so thoughtlessly.

It’s very confusing.

I suppose it will all make sense when we grow up.

Hobbes: No doubt.

Calvin: “Look! I caught a butterfly!”
Hobbes: “If people could put rainbows in zoos, they’d do it.”
Calvin lets it go :slight_smile:

“You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.”

Live and don’t learn, that’s our motto.

I have common sense, I just choose to ignore it.

C:What causes wind?
D:Trees sneezing.
C:Really?
D:No, but the truth is more complicated.
[later, windy]
C:Boy, the trees are really sneezing today.

“Old people have no idea what’s cool.”

“I say, if your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

“I used to make original snowmen, but it was time-consuming, hard work, so I said, heck, this is crazy! Now I crank out crude imitations of what’s already popular! It takes no time or thought, and most people don’t care about the difference anyway!”

“So cynical. Yet so practical.”

Calvin is preparing to jump from the roof using a sheet as a parachute (or something like that)

HOBBES: Shouldn’t you ask your Mom if it’s OK?
CALVIN: Questions I know the answer too I don’t have to ask.

I say consider this day seized!
Tomorrow we’ll seize the day and throttle it!

this next one bolstered my faith in god for awhile longer
do you believe in god?
Well SOMEbody is out to get me.

And a bunch more I can’t remember. Maybe I’ll go pull my books out.

Calvin – “The world bores you when you’re cool.”

“I think the surest sign that there’s intelligent life in the universe is that none of it has contacted us.”

“There’s never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”

It’s “Don’t knock my smock or I’ll clean your clock!” I used to love this line when I was much younger, because I didn’t know that ‘knock’ meant ‘insult.’ I tried to picture Hobbes ‘knocking’ an item that was not as sturdy as a wall, but still producing a satisfying “knock” sound, and it sent me into gales of laughter. I was a weird kid.