Can a Jedi fly?

Could you get me a chapter number? I don’t remember this, although it seems plausible that, using a Crouching Tiger-like scenario, a vehicle-less Jedi could cover great distances quickly by successive leaps.

I do remember a scene in The Courtship of Princess Leia where, bailing out of an exploding ship in atmosphere, he slows his descent enough to avoid catching fire or dying on impact. I don’t know if that’s what you’re thinking of, but it may help the thread.

markdiscordia, that’s exactly what I was thinking. I stand corrected, it was not flying but a graceful falling. Thank you for setting me straight; I always look to hone my SW details.

~Ferry

Even if they can’t affect their own bodies very well with the force, couldn’t a Jedi just telekinetically grab his/her clothing and levitate themselves around like that. Of course, this could result in a nasty wedgie, but it doesn’t sound that difficult.

They would if i was in charge. I’d also let Jedi’s have good plots and no jar Jars.

IANAStarWars Geek, but I remember a character from something (probably from the EXTREEMLY non-canon computer games) that had no legs and moved around by using the force. If that’s the case then it seems like they can “fly”.

I would say yes, but only in a limited fashion. My evidence:

1. Luke ‘force leaps’ out of the carbon-freezing chamber during the ESB vader duel. - It’s not quite flying, but it’s damn close.

2. How else would you describe Yoda’s motion during the Dooku duel in AOTC? Personally I thought it looked ridiculous, but ‘limited flying’ describes it well.

Does anyone else think the Dooku-Yoda duel would have been a lot cooler if Yoda had simply stood still and moved his sabre with the force?

Oh, and the levitating chair/walking stick thing… Yoda uses artificial movement aids rather than the force, presumably because he believes in only using the force when necessary.

And BioHazard, that was from the 2nd Game, he was a Dark Jedi, but to me it looked as if he had some sort of anti-grav disk where his legs should be.

Shadow Warrior, that is exACTly what I was trying to say, only you’ve made it so much clearer. I think it is limited flying and not “Superman style” that Jedis are able to do.

~Ferry

I suppose you’re right about the power of the force. So… was Anakin the most powerful (i.e. had the most access to the force) Jedi to have ever lived? Did Luke surpass him?

I think that eventually, Luke surpassed his father. After all, he did eventually have his own acadamy and padawans (is that the plural of padawan? padawi? >.< ) I don’t go in for all that midichlorian junk–too scientific for the mystic power of the Force. I liked it better when we weren’t all that sure what the Force was. So I think that, eventually, Luke was able to hone his powers enough to match if not surpass Anakin.

~Ferry