Can no longer mark posts in SDMB.

Until a few weeks ago, if I wanted to quote something from another poster (or if I replied with quote and wanted to delete part of it), I just marked it by dragging the mouse across with the left button depressed. This no longer works. When I try to mark something, moving the mouse with the button depressed results in a pale copy of what I have clicked on marked with a slashed circle (illegal sign) that goes away when I release it. A couple of other sites I tried respond normally to being marked so it seems to be something with the Dope site. Any ideas on how to fix this? I am using Win-10 and it has been updated in the past week. (Actually, I can usually say it has been updated in the past week,)

Don’t have an answer, but just want to point out that I have the same issue WRT painting text here on SDMB, and would like to know what gives.

Same here using MacOS 10.13.6.

Does this have anything to do with your problem?
** Can’t highlight text in Chrome? Read this. [also affects Firefox now]**
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=857192

Weird. I also use MacOS 10.13.6 and have no trouble selecting text in Firefox 62.0.3 or Chrome 69.0.3497.100

Apparently, the “default” style selection has changed from Sultantheme’s, which does not highlight text selection (you can cut and paste; you just can’t see what you cut until you cut it, or copied until you paste it) to Straight Dope v3.7.3, which does highlight it.

Yes, this. I had this problem and don’t know how that Sultan thingy even got selected. The drop down to change it back is at the lower left corner of the page.

Moved to ATMB.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Also, the code tags don’t work in Sultan.

To clarify this, what you have to do is go to the very bottom of an SD page and in the left corner you will see something called sultantheme and an arrow. Click on the arrow and there is another choice, Straight Dope v. 3.7.3. Choose it. Problem solved.

Just for the record, I defend my choice to put the question in GQ. It is a question with a factual answer. But mainly, who reads ATMB? I don’t. This way I got a real answer.

Can anyone explain what Sultantheme is and why anyone would choose it?

‘It’s New and Improved.’ :rolleyes: