Challenge the writer

I have an assignment due next week for a creative writing course I’m taking and I’m always looking for ways to challenge myself. My latest idea is inspired by this thread and the fact that I heard the word raconteur twice today within the space of two hours, from completely disconnected sources. Anyway, I thought I’d use these words:

raconteur
bellicose
abstemious

So why am I here? Well, I want to use ten juicy words to write my story. Not just the ten, but you know, build the story around the ten words. I’m taking suggestions for the remaining seven.

Also, am I allowed to post the story after I’ve written it, and if I am allowed, would anyone want to see it?

*I was unsure if this thread belonged in MPSIMS or IMHO, so I am happy wherever it ends up.

Thanks.

Any seven words?

pentacostal
vehement
voracious
antidisestablishmentarianism (kidding)
obeisance
magniloquent
contumacious
oppugnant

Can’t wait to read it!

Thank you BuckleberryFerry. I used vehement in my last story and the professor pointed out, quite rightly I thought, that it tends to be overused and stale these days.

I loved these!

And I remembered another word that has been rattling around my brain lately, compliments of Doper Giraffe’s sig–prehensile. That’s definately going on the list, along with one of these three. Cool, the fire is heating up, and I’m getting excited. :smiley:

vicissitude
zeitgeist
plethora
regardless
quintessentially
effervescence
episiotomy

:smiley:

obsequious
blepharoplasty (having your eyelids “done”)
elucidate
benificent (sp?)
narcissistic
ablative
loquacious (again…spelling?)

bombastic
precocious
snobby
patronizing
aloof
condescending
supercilious
insolent

Forte.
Ambiguity.
Denotative.

Sycophant
Impinge
Dawdle
Imperative

persiflage
excaudate
vermicide

flippant
slatternly
fortitude
lout
abysmal
plethora
myopic

preternatural
rapscallion
Bob
dank
frisbee
um…looks at footwear…Converse.

I would suggest staying away from too many Latin-derived words because it will end up sounding like some sort of pretentious “Ad-Libs.” Having said that, my list will have a few anyway. I thing these words would be a fun challenge:

erstwhile
gestalt
adiposity
martinet
junket
avuncular
kismet
junta
hegira
grammalogue

phantasmagoria
pulchritude
melonballer
gneiss
onomatopoiea
pee

These are a few of my favorite words.

conflagration (it’s such an evocative word)
milquetoast
ameliorate
haberdasher (I just love the sound of it)
elision
squeegee
flocculate
alb
ennui

You’ll have to check the spelling, but:

gynotinkolobomassophile

defenestration (then you could add some action to your story)

disinterrment
reticulated
fichued
autocthonic --(time to lay off the Vance I guess)

Thanks so much guys and gals! This has really been a fun project for me. I made a list last night of 15 words, complete with definitions from both Merriam Webster and the OED and just practiced writing sentences with them, to better get a feel, you know. Anyway, today I began to write, I’m seven paragraphs in so far and I’m having a great deal of fun with it. I had to stop writing to go to writing class, but I sure didn’t want to! I added a couple of words to the list from the new entries today, and I’m not sure I’ll use all of them, but here they are (in no particular order):

raconteur
bellicose
abstemious

obeisance
magniloquent
oppugn
prehensile
supercilious

impinge
rapscallion
kismet
grammalogue/Logogram
singularly
ameliorate
defenestration (maaaaaybe)

I’ve already managed to use the bolded words.

Thanks everyone! Lastly, I still don’t know if I should post the result. I’m happy to, but I don’t want to break any rules.

I remember having a big argument with a friend at a bar about this word. He insisted it was another word for castration. I said no, it meant “to throw something out a window.” He was wasted and laughing and was shouting, “WHO IN THEIR FUCKING RIGHT MIND WOULD MAKE A WORD FOR THROWING SOMETHING OUT OF A FUCKING WINDOW!!!” The bouncer said, “Keep shouting like that and I’ll show you who.”

That’s why I love the word. It sounds so important and yet it only describes one very specific act.

Great comeback from the bouncer!