Charity Thanksgiving Dinners

I’m a Southerner by birth, and though it’s not polite to mention it, Southerners don’t really do Thanksgiving properly. (It’s a Yankee tradition.) My family gave up on taking Thanksgiving seriously when I was in elementary school. I wouldn’t for a moment consider airline travel just for this Hallmark holiday.

Still, I’ve got the day off work, and the following Friday too, and it’s sort of depressing having nothing to do except seek out a Chinese restaurant that’s open.

So I’m pulling up to my curb tonight, and the neighbor lady across the street shouts from her bedroom window, what am I doing tomorrow? I shout, Nothing, and she invites me over for dinner at 3:00. I could do nothing but accept. I’m quite looking forward to it.

So, single, non-celebrating Dopers, are you invited to anybody else’s dinner on Thursday, and what is it / will it be like?

I’ve been invited by Gr8Kat to go to her sister’s house but am thinking I probably won’t go as I’ve not been feeling good for the past couple days and don’t want to risk redecorating her dining room table with the contents of my stomach.

C’est la vie.

Have a couple of invites for thanksgiving But will most likely pass on them- Mom died last thursday and dont feel like I have anything to give thanks to :frowning:

I’m sorry for your loss, CWN. I hope that you have the support of friends.

I wasn’t going to celebrate since my brother and sister-in-law are in the middle of a divorce and they’re the family I usually spend the day with. Didn’t really feel like celebrating much. One of my friends invited me to share Thanksgiving with her family, but in the meantime my brother decided he would come here, my former roommate decided to join us (she’s working till 2:00 and wasn’t going to celebrate till the weekend) and to bring her stepson, and it occurred to me that my cousin’s friend who is in graduate school here and far from home might like to join us as well. So all the side dishes are done, the turkey’s in the oven, and I’m kind of hosting a charity dinner of my own. Still feels a little odd, but it’s a big distraction.

GT

I hosted a charity dinner of grad students back when I was in school. It was fun.

RickQ and I are on our own here–not enough time to visit either family–and I didn’t feel like cooking a turkey, so I am making a British dish called Toad in the Hole. It is sausages cooked in Yorkshire Pudding, which is a crisp, bread-like stuff. It doesn’t feel like Thanksgiving, but that is ok with me.

CWN, I am so sorry for your loss.

CWN, I’m sorry.

I’m going with my SO to an “orphan Thanksgiving” a couple he knows throws every year. Speaking of him, I need to call him and figure out what we’re doing. And I have to bake a couple of pies.

YUM.

CWN, I am truely sorry for your loss.

For this Thanksgiving… I’m a radio DJ and shortly go on duty. That’s one of the things you accept at this job.
Kinda like being a 7-11 clerk.