Cherries are a sexual symbol? Of what?

So, earlier today one thing led to another, and I noticed that Sticker Giant considers cherries to be a sexual symbol (in with the rainbows, lambdas, “69” and “horny devil” stickers, etc.). Specifically, two cherries joined at the top of their stems. I’m usually fairly with-it, especially when it comes to sex, but this is new to me. So I turn to my SDMB brethren for information: what do the cherries mean? My first thought was balls, in which case it might be a symbol for gay men or something, but then it could also be an obvious symbol of virginity (maybe the deliberate kind?).

Two speculative answers I’ve seen are “virginity” and “bisexuality.” Does anyone know for sure?

Cherry has long been associated with virginity; i.e. “losing your cherry” or “he’s cherry.”

Virginity, usually.

Likewise, two cherries joined at the tops of their stem have been associated with testicles.

Considering the pictures on the carton, it’s no wonder that strawberry/banana is a popular yogurt flavor, but they don’t even make cherry/banana… :wink:

Yep, I’ve long known about the association of “cherry” with “virgin” (as mentioned in the OP), but I’ve never seen pictures of cherries among other sexual symbols, nor can I imagine why anyone would want a sticker proclaiming their virginity – unless, as also mentioned in the OP, it’s deliberate virginity (like the straight-edge movement or something). I also already speculated about the testicles/balls thing. I put this in GQ in the hopes of avoiding other speculation. :wink:

Does anyone know what such a sticker means?

As I said when you asked this in that huge hijack in the other thread, I’ve heard that the two cherries mean bisexuallity. :confused:

Long before they were associated with virginity, cherries were used as a symbol of sexual desire (or its fulfillment.)

Take a look at the way cherries are represented in Bosch’s Garden of Earthly Delights and it’s pretty clear that, to him, they didn’t represent chastity. :smiley:

(The symbolism is borrowed from the hermeticists.)

Cherries are a sexual symbol of the most general sort, simply because they’re so darned sensual. Remember when Audrey Horne tied that cherry stem with her tongue in Twin Peaks? Wouldn’t have worked with a less sexy fruit.

Yes, I mentioned your speculation in the OP. And I apologized in the other thread for the hijack (huge in scope, but not in duration). I’m not sure what you’re confused about … I’m the one asking the question! :wink:

Ok, so, if I see a cherries sticker on someone’s car, it just means “sex” in general?

I went through all 14 pages of the “Sex Talk” category of that site, and didn’t see any cherries. Care to link to the specific item(s) you’re asking about?

Why don’t you ask Mr. Stickergiant (yes, there is a person behind that web site, take it from me)? I believe there is a customer service email addy available.

It’s under popular symbolism ----> sexual symbols. I don’t know what it means.

Well, sometimes a cherry is just a cherry. It might just mean that they like the colour red, or are nostalgic for Pac Man, or whatever.

As a “sexual symbol,” though, it’s usually just synonymous with “sexual desire.”

Here’s a captioned version.

I don’t think you’re going to find a more specific meaning – it’s not like a pride rainbow or any of the other stickers that carry a specific meaning about the expression of the bearer’s sexuality.

It’s just a general “sexy” icon. They have plain ol’ hearts in that category, too. Cherries are a more carnal version of the more idealized heart symbol for love. (That’s kind of ironic, I guess.)

And then there’s the legendary Cherry Poptart comic, done in the style of Archie.

[sub]Yes, it’s on the net. No, I will not link to it here. [/sub]

Like FilmGeek said, it’s under Pop Symbolism > Sexual Symbolism (not entirely safe for work!).

Because that’s what I have this place for! Duh! :wink:

Well, that’s what I’m asking! :slight_smile: I’m wondering if there is a more specific meaning that I’m just not aware of, and/or whether it does say something about the bearer’s sexuality. Like I said, I’m usually pretty “with it” when it comes to such things, and I’m familiar with (or at least I understand) everything else in that section … I’d just never seen cherries used to represent general sexuality like that.

Great “use” of scare quotes in that!

I’ve thought that the cherry was associated with a woman’s clitoris. When you, ah, consume the cherry you’re ah, deflowering - another symbol - the woman.

I always thought that the “cherry” = “virginity” thing was because of the blood that often accompanies the breaking of a woman’s hymen when she’s penetrated for the first time. Though I guess if that were the case, there’d be no reason why we couldn’t use “strawberry,” or “tomato,” or … well, you get the idea. :wink:

Oh, sure you have – it’s just one of those basic associations that we don’t usually even think about most of the time.

Here are some examples:

Another StickerGiant product

Glass sculpture.

Jailhouse drawing

Really bad bodypainting. (Mebbe NSFW if people are really uptight and looking very carefully.)

Cherry poser.

Wild Cherry album cover

Wild Cherries DVD cover (No nudity)

What the hell?

“Sexy Wild Cherries Belt Buckle”

Cherry lingerie. (Lingerie site – all banner ads were worksafe when I looked but that might change.)

‘Flirty’ Cellphone wallpaper (Two cherry varieties: “Sexy” and “Try me – I’m delicious.”)

Cherry hotpants.
Luscious, luscious cherries. Mmmmm. :stuck_out_tongue:

Misnomer,
Think you’re on the right track. Cherries are a beautiful spring-flowering tree (unlike strawberries or tomatoes), full of Asiatic poetic influence thereof. The fruit ripens, delicious, and as anyone who delights in the lovely tastiness of cherries knows, stains deeply as one partakes in those delights.

Enough of a metaphor for ya? To go further, the cherry fruit is round, juicy, and cleft. Strawberries and tomatoes don’t have the cleftedness of cherries. I suspect, though, that spring flowering has a good bit to do with the cherry analogy. Any Asian botanical imagery experts out there?

I agree with Civil Guy, the phrase “busting her cherry” is defowering but I always took ‘cherry’ to mean a woman’s virginal sex organ, rather than virginity in general. In Texas, a woman’s cherry was her, pardon the crude slang, pussy and all the parts it encompasses.