Chex Party Mix

You may envy me; I just finished baking a double batch of Chex Party Mix, and am now enjoying its crunchy buttery hot Hot HOT goodness even as I type. :smiley: Is there anything better than Chex Party Mix? No, there is not.

Keys to successful Party Mix:

1. Skip all the frou-frou ingredients. Rice Chex, Corn Chex, and Wheat Chex only. No pretzels (unless Mrs. R complains), no peanuts, no (shudder) bagel chips.

2. Pour the Wheat Chex into the pan first, so they absorb all the molten butter.

3. Healthy doses of Louisiana Hot Sauce, habanero sauce, and some Tabasco.

4. If you’re impatient, you can reduce the time between stirrings from 15 minutes to 13. Never, never, increase the oven temperature to try to get it done earlier–it’ll scorch, and then you’ve wasted all your time and ingredients.

I agree with you on the first part, except for the bagel chips. Those things are awesome. But they are the only things that should be added in proper homemade Chex Mix.

What happened to the Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, onion and garlic powders? Not that I care, but that’s what’s in the official recipe.

mmmmmmmmmm Chex Mix… My mom’s recipe (Worcestershire, onion powder, and garlic powder, oil) was called “Nuts and Bolts”. I always assumed that the pretzel sticks were the bolts and the cheerios were the nuts, and the Chex were just added for filler. :slight_smile: Who knew it was really Chex Mix?

I really get annoyed at the packaging for the pre-made Chex Mix with those evil bagel chips. They call it “original recipe” or some such nonsense. When Chex Mix was invented, there was no such thing as a bagel chip. Sheesh!

I had some at my husband’s aunt’s house at Christmas and it was sweet. Almost white-chocolate coated and a little bit of heaven. I was already full of turkey and apple pie, but I almost made myself sick nibbling on this Chex mix stuff and I had understood ( my mom never made any ) it was almost spicy-tasting and salty, but this was sweeeeet.

Man, I’m trying to diet over here.

My family called it “Nuts and Bolts” also. I use (generic) Crispix, pretzels (Christmas shapes for Christmas), generic cheerios, and peanuts. The sauce is Worcestershire and garlic powder. After ach stir I sprinkle seasoned salt and cajun seasoning to taste.

Brian

Anything without Worcestershire and garlic salt isn’t deserving of the title Chex Mix. Especially the Worcestershire.

If you have to settle for sto-bought substitutes, the best I have found is made by Gardetto’s. Snak-ems, or something close to that. The Chex packaged things are too bland. Too many of those cheese things, not enough nuts, and no “Wooster” sauce!

Nuts and Bolts was a recipie used in the early sixties by people around here before Chex Mix showed up. It’s not Chex Mix if you change the recipie. The key to getting a good mix is to never let the butter get to hot and clarify. Once the butter seperates the mix isn’t as good. I always use the microwave. In six minutes of cooking you have perfect Chex Mix. I was thinking of making it this morning, but decided against it, because of all the calories. :frowning:

Gardetto’s is the king. I seem to be having a really hard time trying to find it lately. It’s like it got shoved out to make room for the 800 different flavors of Chex Mix.

I’ve never had homemade Chex Mix :frowning:

I know what you mean! Kroger has all sorts of packaged mixes. Gardetto’s is off to the side and appears to be over-priced. Mucho Chex things. Some other brand I’m having trouble remembering, too.

The one I found that’s as close to Gardetto’s as possible, is the Bold Party Mix. I think that’s a Chex thing, but it could be that other brand I can’t seem to remember. Is it Purina? That’s cat food, right?

Walgreen’s in this area carries Gardetto’s in several varieties. Lo-fat and some other type as well as the “hi-test” that’s so good.

Gah. That sounds SO damned good right now.

Doesn’t it? I’m seriously contemplating digging my car out of a foot of snow to go to the grocery store and get the fixin’s for real Chex Mix…

I wonder if the Dollar General across the street has Chex? sigh Prob’ly not.

Well, I’ve got work-issued Chinese food coming very soon, so I’ve been gurgling in anticipation for that all morning long.

This, needless to say, is NOT helping.

Um…get me some too? puppy dog eyes

My family always called it “birdseed.” That may have come from those Thanksgivings at the beach, throwing bits of it straight up in the air for the seagulls to catch.

I like to add unflavored Goldfish to mine, and ours always, *always * includes plain M&Ms. (Add those after it’s cooled off, obviously.)

Of course I add worcestershire, garlic powder, onion powder, and seasoning salt (Johnny’s)–otherwise it’d just be warm soggy Chex. :smiley:

Damn it, I’m trying not to eat this kind of stuff.

I always make mine with Crispix. I hate having to buy three different boxes of Chex and using two-thirds of each box. I mean, who actually eats Wheat Chex except in Chex Mix? So I just buy one box of Crispix and use the whole box. I don’t follow an exact recipe. I of course use butter, worcestershire (lots of it!), and garlic powder. I usually throw in some cajun seasoning. Pretzels are optional, as are nuts. I do really like throwing in some Cheez-Its or cheese balls. Cheesy goldfish crackers work too. Yum!

That Gardetto’s is infused with garlic powder. My breath is practically solid after eating it!