Clarify Jerk Rule, re: personal info Pit threads

Well, for one thing, it’s not just *your * playground. Sometimes TMI is necesary in posts, just so we know what the person is talking about. Some of us like TMI. Who are you to dictate what goes on in the Pit?

That aside, would it have killed you to have gone in there and said, simply, “Why are you posting this crap in the Pit? Why not in MPSIMS?” instead of getting nasty? Or, as others have said, report the post?

As Friday night I referred to the late Pope as “that fat Polack in a dress” I think you can infer from that. Snarky comments in like that in GD = indefensibly jerkish behavior, with or without my disarmingly charming Irish grin.

Actually I dont give a shit! :slight_smile:

Ganked from the other thread, so as not to continue the hijack there:

In other words, you picked a random thread to crap in in order to make your point. It wasn’t the topic itself that was the issue; any other similar thread “serious” enough would have worked. Right? What is that, a suicide bomber attack? You realize that if you were a newbie and did this, you would probably have been banned already.

I’m so sorry you feel that the content of the Pit isn’t up to the standards it used to have. Fine. Open a separate pit thread about it, yell “Who’s with me!?” and you might get a group of people who will try to help “take back the board.” Crap all over somebody else’s unrelated thread, and you’ve made it all about YOU. Who’s going to defend that? There’re even a couple of people in this thread who say you’ve got a point, but went about it the wrong way.

You know what? There are 5,000-odd active members who collectively direct the content and tone of the board. One person isn’t going to be able to change that momentum alone. In all seriousness, and without any “don’t let the door hitcha” sentiment, if this board isn’t what you enjoy anymore, maybe you should look somewhere else.

It’s real simple, if there’s a thread which is in the wrong forum you hit ‘report post’. If the Mods agree, they move it. If you hijack the thread by being an asshole, you’re swerving into Jerklandia.

There isn’t confusion here is there? I was given my “jerk warning” in the BBQPit, not GD. I guess I was confused about exactly how much “looser” (in Lynn’s words) the “dont be a jerk” rule is in the Pit.

I admit if I had responded that way in any other forum it would have been inappropriate. In another forum I also would have assumed the OP made an honest mistake about thread placement. The OP and the administration both obviously feel that it was a solid Pit thread.

It is NOW. However, you didn’t know that before you decided to go “Deathwish” all over it. Did you report it? Did you give the Mod’s time to move it, before you ensured that it couldn’t be moved?

You corrupt the thread, making it impossible to move it to the appropriate forum; then you complaint that it’s lack of movement means the staff thought it was a solid Pit Thread.

This is all on you.

Oh, probably. I dodged the bullets I deserved in that Tom seemed more interested in telling me how wrong I was than in calling me on my behavior. Or else he knew that eight years in the Catholic school system would leave me feeling so guilty that I wouldn’t dare show my face around here for a couple of days, which was true.

My offenses were:

1. Insulting a dying man
  2. Insulting Catholics and other people who admired him
  3. Using an ethnic slur, especially one insulting a group to which I do not belong
  4. Doing all of that in the wrong forum

However, number four is the tricky one, as you might eventually learn, since we don’t have a right forum for the other three.

Funny statement there since you seem to be more than eager to stir the shit up in the three pit threads that now revolve around you.

That specific thread was borderline as for placement, but then again, so are a lot of threads. It concerned some personal stuff, and a terminal illness, but consider how many Pit threads center on personal matters. People rant about themselves, family, coworkers, neighbors, etc. constantly. Venting over a family ravaged by illness could go either place; that thread was framed as a rant.

When it comes to relocating a thread, a lot depends on the course the thread’s already taken. Scylla’s thread belonged in MPSIMS, not the least because it wasn’t even very clear what–if anything–he was actually Pitting, but it deteriorated rapidly. There was no way it could be moved once it turned into a flamefest. Unloading bile into a thread is a sure way to keep it in the Pit.

You obviously don’t think such threads should be in the Pit at all, CarnalKbut going all vigilante about it is counterproductive–and jerkish. If something seems too warm and fuzzy for the Pit, report it already. Metaphorically sucker-punching posters because you disapprove of where they put a thread on a message board is jerkish. So you don’t care about the poster or his/her situation. Fine. Demonstrate that majestic indifference by not bothering with the thread in the first place.

This ain’t particle physics.

Veb

I see you didn’t put on your Moderater hat, so I’m not sure how to take that. I’ll assume quite seriously.

I submit that my first response was in no way full of bile:

So the thread could still have been moved. But I don’t know why we are even discussing that as we all know there is no way it was going to get moved regardless of my actions. I think it’s irritating that the OP wants to “flame” cancer or the attitude of his family toward it and so I addressed that issue. Sorry, I don’t quite get why this is jerk -under BBQ Pit rule definitions that is, in common parlance it’s a loose term.

Uh, what? I’ve seen threads moved out of the Pit before.

Did you *try * to get it moved?

What, you think the mods can read your mind? You posted in a thread that you thought it belong elsewhere, yet before a mod even has time to read it, you came back with enough vitriol to keep it in the Pit.

If you had tried in the least to move it first (e-mail a mod, report bad post), I might be a tad more sympathetic to you. Instead, you acted like a brat. “Waaaa! This thread isn’t in the right place! I have to look at it!”

CarnalK within ten minutes or so of your first post, you posted the infamous “I don’t give a shit” post; hardly enough time for the thread to be moved…from that moment on, the thread became a part of the PIT.

You set the tone of the thread. You made it immovable. You.

All you had to was let your first post stand and report the thread. Instead you decided to go the extra mile and piss on it.

Did you report the thread CarnalK? I mean before you pissed on it?

If you can’t see how your actions are the direct cause of that thread being stuck in the one place you seem to think it does’t belong, there’s something wrong with you.

I think there’s a degree of social expectation, based in part on how you view the responses already made, that governs what you might appropriately say.

Suppose a poster, dealing with a difficult or tragic situation in his or her own life, chooses to vent his/her anger through a Pit thread directed at what caused the difficult/tragic situation. In general, the attitude on this board is to offer sympathy and support, coupled with a bit of Dutch Uncle posting on “a better way to handle it would have been…” or “buck up and deal with it; here’s how and here’s some resources to help.”

It’s entirely appropriate for a member to think that a given thread is inappropriate, containing emotion not appropriate to the situation or misdirected. And he’s entitled to Pit the OP of that thread for doing so. If that OP happens to be the person venting as described in the previous paragraph, such a new Pit thread doesn’t seem inappropriate – to take two fictitious members, ForUnlawfulNowledge has as much right to vent about what irritates him as Epicyclic Dinosaur does.

But given the probable “social ambience” of the EpiDino thread. FUN should not vent in that thread about his annoyance with what EpiDino is venting about, but in a new thread.

Likewise, if I were sufficiently pissed off about members who can’t respect the need of other members to vent about what’s causing them grief, I might Pit someone who acted like a jerk in my estimation in such a thread. But I’d consider it proper to do it in a new thread, not in the one where he asked for rules clarification. :slight_smile:

(Notice that I’m talking about hypothetical posters here… ;))

Ahh. Another shining example of the “Don’t discipline him or you’ll ruin his self-esteem” method of child rearing.

Whooh, that took a couple of slow read throughs. Polycarp you almost wooshed me and made me think you were agreeing with me. Heh.

But basically you are backing up Lynn’s comment that attention whores should not have their threads interrupted by people pointing out the fact. Again, not quite what I was doing but I think it’s within the scope of this thread.

PunditLisa, your post does not compute.

CarnalK, you’re wrong. I understand that you don’t see it that way.

Maybe you’ll understand this. You are in a situation where you cannot win. You will not (IMO) change any minds. Any action on your part in this matter will dig your hole a little deeper.

So, some friendly advice. Bow out of this and lay low for a week. Let this thread, the thread pitting you and the original thread that started this mess die naturally. THEN start a thread about how you do not like seeing personal info in the pit. You may actually get a reasonable discussion and persuade others to change their minds.

Just trying to help.

I have every intention of ignoring the other threads from now on. This one I can’t quite let drop.

Parents today need to learn to instill discipline, manners, and self-control in their children. If they fail to do so, focusing only on developing their child’s sense of importance, we are left with…you.

Sinusoidal pitting her father’s cancer has irritated you? My God, could you be more self-absorbed? For shame, CarnalK.