Clerks - am I supposed to like this?

Because I’ve tried twice now and it’s been completely unwatchable, I mean from Moment 1, both times.

Preach it, Anaamika! Being a former bookstore clerk, I really wanted to like it, too, but I only made it about half way through.

Agreed. It is just not a good movie. And there was no reason for the black and white.

The movie was made for less than $30,000. The black and white thing was basically because there was no money for color (hard as that is to believe). Kevin Smith basically scraped and borrowed all the money he could to make it, including maxing out several credit cards, selling part of his comics collection, and using a car insurance payout to fund it.

But besides that, yes, it’s not a movie for everybody. The fans absolutely love the movie but everybody else seems to be “meh” about it. I personally enjoyed it, but I wouldn’t say it was a great movie by any stretch. Even Smith admits he’s not much of a director.

It seems to have been written for the mid-90s stoner high school/college kids, and those still seem to be the most vocal fans.

Oh, wow. I didn’t really expect agreement from the first post! I was expecting plenty of “You just didn’t get it.”

I liked it. Sorry.

Ditto. Not for everyone, but I liked it. I like the rest of Smith’s work as well. Mostly.

Clerks is what I would consider an “inside joke” movie. Either it’s hilarious to you, or you don’t get it. I mostly didn’t get it.

These types of movies bring out 3 types of fans. Those who get it and love it. Those who get it, but like more that others don’t get it. And finally, those who don’t really get it, but don’t want to look stupid so just say things like “duuuude” and then just nod while others talk about it or change the subject.

I have no dying love or hate for it - just kinda do the “what’s up” nod when I see it walking by on the street.

Well, I’m not a huge fan, but I liked it back then and still do, and “mid-90s stoner high school/college kid” is spot on. :slight_smile:

First of all, anyone who complains about a film being in black and white immediately loses all credibility.

Clerks was one of the great debut films of all time. It’s about characters and dialog, so if you’re used to action and plot, then you’re bound to be disappointed. There is no plot, other than a day in the life of a minimum wage worker. It’s wickedly funny (and was groundbreaking in how it handled the routine obscenities of everyday life) and filled with weirdness.

I could see how people used to action films and plot-driven movies wouldn’t understand it, though. It requires a grown-up attitude, and films are not aimed at grown-ups these days, so that sort of movie will go over a lot of people’s heads.

Best line in the movie, spoilerboxed for those at work:

“Try not to suck any dicks on your way through the parking lot!”

To answer the question: Yes, you are supposed to like it. :slight_smile: There are very few movies made for the purpose of being unlikable. (Although I’m sure we could put together a short list, if we wanted.)

That said, of course it’s OK that you didn’t like it. Not everyone has to like every movie.

I thought it was pretty good, myself.

For a while, MrWhatsit and I were in the habit of saying this to each other in lieu of goodbye. We have curtailed this practice since having kids, though.

I had no problem with the B&W, or with it being about characters and dialogue. But if your movie’s about characters and dialogue, it would help to get people who can actually act to put it across.

That’s pretty snotty and not exactly helpful. I didn’t say anything about action movies or black and white. I do like movies about characters and dialog, but honestly, no point in explaining that to you, is there? You’ve already come in here and made up your mind.

The movie needed better actors and more money, and to be honest, it needed interesting people. If you are going to make a movie about characters and dialogue, it is not inconceivable your characters and dialogue might just not interest everyone.

Oh I don’t know. It’s not well acted, sure, but I’ve seen lots worse. If anything, the actors seem to genuinely enjoy what they’re doing - it kinda works for the movie and its weird “pretentious/just fucking around” feel. ETA: same thing goes for the characters being basically uninteresting assholes. It probably wouldn’t have worked with truly “interesting” characters.

I do believe we’ve been insulted.

I not even supposed to be here today.

Here’s the list of movies meant to be unlikable:
Uwe Boll Movies

*You know, there’s a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they don’t all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you. *

The delivery gets me. Silent Bob is so brooding with his furrowed brow and the added contrast from the black and white let you know that Dante just received wisdom from some bad-ass thug who usually stood around ready to beat someone who gave Jay problems.

The whole thing comes to a proper conclusion, when Dante gets … well, that’s one of the endings.

So yeah, I did like it, it was a good, independent, nearly a student film, if you like.