"Cloverfield"

As movie secrets go, “Cloverfield” is about as well kept a secret as any movie ever. All anyone kinows so far, aside from who made it and when it’s coming out, is that a monster shows up in New York City and starts kicking ass. It’s not Godzilla, and it’s probably not the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

Anyway, the movie was started in secret about a year ago and will be released January 18. Maybe it’ll such and maybe it won’t; since JJ Abrams is involved there’s the ugly possibility that, in fact, the movie will simply create mysteries and answer none of them. I will say this, though; the trailers scare the bejeezus out of me. Those are some GREAT trailers.

Google 'em if you like.

What does anyone know/think about this movie?

I don’t know anything about it, but I think if they stick to the pseudo-documentary POV from the commercial, it might be worth seeing.

The trailers look interesting but the January release date gives me pause. Studios usually dump all their leftover crappy films in the Jan-Feb timeframe after the Oscar rush of December.

I’ve read a couple pretty extensive spoilers. I don’t think I’ll be seeing it.

But on the other hand, if all it’s competition is the other studios crap, then it could kick their butts at the box office.

This has begun to attract my attention, too.

Here’s the Wiki link.

Note the theatrical poster–

There is definitely a wake, leading from the sea to the shore.

Does anyone in Chicago want to see a sneak preview of this next Wednesday, the 16th? It’s at 7:00 at Webster Place. This screening is going to be insanely popular so I plan to be there much much earlier. I have free passes. PM me.

Don’t get discouraged if I don’t get back to you right away. I’m going to be away from my computer until late tonight and I’ll check my PMs then. I don’t know what the response will be. I’m offering elsewhere too, but if my mailbox fills up, send me an e-mail. I think it’s in my profile. Just be sure to put THE STRAIGHT DOPE in the Subject Line so I can find it easliy.

I predict it’s a giant lizard rendered in crappy-looking CGI that moves in impossible ways defying all rules of gravity and physics. At the end it’s destroyed by a dedicated scientist who sacrifices something personal but is changed for the better by the experience. And there’s a good-looking chick. The End.

Don’t forget the “Spunky Kids.”

I hate overly manipulative campaigns that are designed to create a viral buzz about a show or movie, but damn it, I want to go see this.

Hopefully it proves better than King Kong, which I did enjoy but was not overwhelmed by.

PM sent, I’ll admit it, I have been sucked in by the hype and can’t wait to see it:)

So you’re a fan of I Am Legend? :stuck_out_tongue:

I won’t be seeing this, and the marketing team behind it can bite me.

I have no problem with viral marketing when the it involves something interesting or entertaining in some meaningful way (witness Burger King’s hilarious “Subservient Chicken”), but a national ad campaign that essentially adds up to “I know something yooooooooou don’t know!” is somehow less than compelling…doubly so when the “big secret” is nothing more than the specifics of a damned monster movie, with or without gimmicky camera work.

The cynic in me suspects that this marketing style was cleverly chosen to generate hype for the movie while conveniently hiding the fact – deemed by the creators to be evident after seeing even a trailer’s worth of footage – that the movie sucks the proverbial ass-balls. Of course, I could be wrong about that, but regardless, I’m not paying to see something when the people trying to convince me to see it can’t come up with one real reason why I should.

So what does “Cloverfield” refer to? Is it a telephone exchange or something?

“Cloverfield” is the government codename for, I believe Central Park. That is where the amateur shot videotape that comprises the movie was found.

If the whole movie is that handheld nonsense I will not be seeing it.

And the “rebellious teenage hackers who can seemingly do anything, anytime they choose.” :stuck_out_tongue:

The most alarming thing about the previews is that the movie is going to be PG-13. Booooooo.

PG-13? Does that mean no boobies?

Eeeww.

Wikipedia says Phil Tippett (or at least his studio) is in charge of creature effects. They did Draco from Dragonheart, among many other big creatures in a variety of movies. If Tippett is, in fact, doing the effects, this should not be a concern.