Colorado Politician Calls Mexican Immigrants "Illiterate Peasants"

And then the other part is all about the Bennigans baby. Have yourself some Potato O’ Skins and a Killians on us. :smiley:

Firstly, thanks for the compliment but I’m not The Saviour.

Secondly, the truth hurts doesn’t it? Made you wince? Wish for it to stop? Too bad.

What you are spewing here are lies and half-truths. Hispanics have not taken over fast food restaurants. And if they have, go speak to the managers about their hiring practices.

Mexicans are not, by and large, illiterate. Nor are they peasants. But I see it makes you feel good to think that they are. What does that make you? At the very least, a fucking idiot.

I’m sure there are lots more elsewhere. But, read more here. It’s a Google link, but there are some problems here… problems that the area hasn’t had to deal with before. I suspect one of them is that this area is an up-and-coming yuppie haven while at the same time there were lots of [il]legal immigrants funneling in. It came to a brief head a year ago. But the bigger storm is still brewing. The people that have lived here for 10 years or more wonder what the hell happened to their little Herndon.

Forgive me if I missed the answer to this earlier in the thread, but do they count as illiterate (sp?) if they can read and write Spanish, but not English?

Since the country doesn’t have an official language, it doesn’t make much sense to call them illiterate if they speak and read Spanish.

Republican rabble-rousers’ MMV.

Obviously.

Wrong. I live in Alexandria, and lived in Arlington before that, and Falls Church before that… I haven’t been to a single fast-food restaurant around here that isn’t fully staffed with Latinos with thick accents.

Dudley is correct about the huge numbers of Hispanics in Herndon. I was born and raised in the town neighboring Herndon. The low cost of living there is lower compared to neighboring areas of Fairfax County - due to older affordable housing (apartment complexes, etc.) That is what attracted them. Then it evolved into the hub for day laborers to wait for work, and it went from there.

However it’s not just Herndon… In various areas of Arlington and Alexandria, you will see multitudes of Hispanic men waiting in groups on practically every corner, all day long, waiting for work.

Well, that’s just the free market in operation, and of course free markets are the lifeblood of America.

Dudley, why do you hate America?

I don’t think we ever threw the doors open wide. There was always some measure of selectivity. If we threw the doors open wide, we’d be overwhelmed by the poor all over the world and our infrastructure would buckle under the strain. I’m all for Guest worker programs and making it easier for people to become citizens and for allowing non-citizens to have drivers licenses and all that, but there has to be some sort of criteria for allowing people in. People say that one of the reasons we don’t have Islamic terrorism like Europe does is that our criteria are more selective. Where they have poorer populations from former colonies, like the French Algerians, we have largely more educated and successful Muslim populations.

Dude, I just want a Big Mac and fries.

No, senor, usted quiere una hamburguesa “Grande Mac” y papases fritas.

That’s what she said.

Yeah, I grew up in NM and I couldn’t really see the big deal for a long time. I’m starting to get it. I don’t really care. Hispanic immigrants don’t bother me, but my Uncle and his Girlfriend in an affluent NJ suburb make some mention about how they are taking over down there. I’ve known very nice hardworking Mexican families and degenerate gangbangers. I can kind of see it from both sides. I am willing to hire Mexican immigrants to do work for me. I don’t really care.

Actually, it was pretty wide-open, with no barriers at all, before the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 and the Emergency Quota Act of 1921. (The Naturalization Act of 1790 did not address immigration as such, only naturalization.)

Literacy and intelligence are not really intertwined. A person might be literate in Spanish, but they are still functionally illiterate in English. As far as peasantry goes, they are from largely agrarian areas. Over-sensitivity toward this sort of thing is silly IMO. It’s up there with ‘Obama hates his Grandma and the Working Class.’, just more gotcha identity politics.

Never said you did. Said you should.

So if I understand, you don’t want to do it because it’s hard, expensive and potentially dangerous? That’s fine. Practicality before Principle. Perfectly understandable.

I take it you guys will be melting down the statue any day now, right?

Well that shows that the doors were not wide open throughout our history. In 1790 they had no method of enforcement, and later when they could enforce it, they did.

Why would watching our nation’s infrastructure be overwhelmed by poor people seeking the good life they saw on Television, be some sort of rhetorical win?

Practicality before principle yes.

:rolleyes: As I said, I’m not horribly concerned by Mexican immigration myself, but I’m not going to pretend the issue is simply a matter of some facile ideological consistency.

I also lived in Fairfax County for a number of years (Burke three different times and then Falls Church) and the DC area has ALL KINDS of ethnic groups represented, but there are a LOT of El Salvadoreans, Guatmalans, etc there, and many of them are illiterate (meaning they cannot read or write their own language, not English). I found this out because I worked with many of them in restaurants and would speak to them.

I left DC Metro in 1993 to live out here in the Cincinnati area…there were huge amounts of immigrants there then, and lots of clogged highways…I can only imagine it now.

I remember living in Burke in 1975, back when there were actually groups of trees that resembled forests, not lonely token bearers of leaves in a postage-stamp yard like you see nowadays.

My how things change. Reston wasn’t anything more than a few farms back then.