Coming out of the closet

A more mundane and pointless subject I cannot imagine, but I just felt like announcing that as of today I’m out of the closet. I don’t know if you would call this official, as I have only told my closest friends, and have yet to tell my parents. Irregardless, I feel that this is something I need to say, even if it is to people, who to me shall remain anonymous.

I must say, it feels nice to get something like this off of my chest. I was in the closet quite strongly all through high school, thankfully. I say that because I don’t think I could have made it out alive if I were to admit such a thing to myself. Not that I feared for my life in anyway, I just don’t think that emotionally I was ready to cope with that fact. Now though, I do feel that I am ready. I have struggled with this decision for about two years, all of it starting once I entered University (to trot out a tired cliché, if there were ever one :slight_smile: ). But after I made it, everything seemed to fall into place. Personally, I feel that it was the best thing that I ever did. I’m glad I managed to come to grips with this now, rather than 10 -20 years down the road. I can truly be myself now.

It’s funny how life works, I mean, the signs were all there for quite sometime, but still, the fact that I managed to ignore them for so long still astounds me.

I’m not sure why I’m writing this right now. Maybe it’s for acceptance from the general public (meaning the wonderful folk who frequent the boards), or maybe, I just am feeling the need to shout it out to the world, to have it written indelible in the ether of the web, where I have no power of changing what I wrote. Sort of a point of no return I guess. Either which way, thank you if you made it this far, and thank you for listening, it’s greatly appreciated, even if I am rambling on somewhat… :smiley:

God go with you, Corvus. I congratulate you on your newfound freedom. The truth sets you free. :slight_smile:

Congrats!

Er … maybe I missed it in your post, or in another post, but you’re … gay, bi, what? Inquiring minds and toaster preference:D

Heh… Yeah, I guess that would be a good addendum. I’m gay. Not quite full on flaming, but close.

Now, since I’ve outed myself, does this mean I’m one step closer to the toaster oven, or does it only count if I convert others?
And thank you Libertarian, that means quite a bit to me.

Damn! I was betting on being dictionary-less.

Oh well, good for you Corvus. I’m glad to hear that this seems to have been relatively painless for you thus far.

You got courage, my man. I applaud you. And I hope you find acceptance from your family, and the rest of the world.

I know you’ll find many people at SDMB who will accept you.

You deserve nothing less.

Gay, huh? I thought it was something more insidious, like buying a minivan.

Congratulations, good luck with family and friends!
No soccer moms/dads were harmed in the making of this post

Oh, my GAWD! You’re GAY??? How screwed up is THAT???

Just steeling you for the responses of the ig’nernt. We’re cool with it. Glad you have it figured out, I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible, and then just a LITTLE more smooth than that.

:mad::cool:;):p:eek::confused:

Congratulations, and welcome to The Life.

Good for you. That took a lot of courage. :slight_smile:

Congrats! I know how you’re feeling about coming out - it’s really scary, but you also feel a sense of liberation! I came out a few months ago to my parents - they were a bit weird about it at first, but now they absolutely adore my girlfriend and have even made her feel like part of the family.

So, good luck to you, I hope everything turns out well and that you enjoy finally being able to be yourself. :slight_smile:

No toaster oven yet, but now I can teach you the secret handshake.

DEAR GOD!

I am appalled, appalled I tell you, at the sheer audacity and numbers of these persnickity homos!

The country is going to hell to a disco beat.

:smiley:

(by the way, if you’re in need of resources and the like, feel free to email me.)

Congratulations!

So, now that I know your sexual orientation… are you a she or a he?!

This board is a wonderful place to come out because of the number of supportive folks and good advice you can get. That first step is difficult to make. I didn’t take it until I was 32, after being married for 7 years and having a child.

Let me say what everyone else said to me when I made the declaration:

Welcome to the family.

Well said. I glad you felt comfortable doing that.

Now how 'bout the first week of the baseball season? Can you believe it?

The above is used only to indicate the level of concern most people should have with your orientation. It matters to you, of course. To others it should matter little.

Um. Unless there’s dating potential there, of course.

Like Homebrew said, this community is a good place to be out, because the people here are wonderfully uncaring about sexual orientation, for the most part, and there are such a great number of gay members who can offer advice and support.

This reminds me of an incident a few years ago, when I went back to visit a place where I used to live. I ran into a friend I hadn’t seen in a few years, and in the course of the conversation he told me that he had come out. My response, without even pausing for a fraction of a second to think about it was, “That’s wonderful!” He seemed a bit surprised by it, I suppose from having some others not react quite so positively, but I explained that it is much, much better for him to finally be able to be true to himself than to continue to try to be someone he was not. It’s awfully hard to be happy when you deny something so fundamental about your self, y’know?

So congratulations, Corvus, on becoming who you are.

So ready yet for the “Ask the New Gay Guy thread”?!

Congrats. I hope you get lots of support and not too many negative reactions.

Gay? Feh. You gotta go some to beat MY coming-out a coupla weeks ago. I thought you were going to say something REALLY shocking, like you were a Republican or an Oprah fan or somethin’.

Fnar, fnar

Corvus, good luck and fair play to you.