Common Spelling Errors on the Dope

I have been compiling a list of common spelling errors on the Dope for a couple of months (anal people need hobbies too, ya know!), and here are the results (alphabetized for easy reference):
aggression
antiperspirant
apparent
appreciation
awful
caffeine
cemetery
commitment
compulsory
congratulations
connoisseur
corollary
definite/definitely
demon
dependent/dependence
disappear
disappoint
doesn’t
embarrass
equivalent
etiquette
excellent
existence
friend
hors d’oeuvre
independent/independence
ineligible
inflexible
interrupt
judgmental (both judgement or judgment are okay)
knowledge
masturbate
naïve
necessary
occasion
parallel
persistent
pertinent
prescription
privilege
receive
recommend
relevant
repetitive
ridiculous
sacrilege
separate
speech
surprise
tendency
tomorrow
weird

All dictionary-checked for accuracy, barring Gaudere’s Law, of course. Hey, I’m lighting a candle here, not cursing the darkness.

Good start. I’d add “medieval” and “led”.

Oh, and how could we have forgotten “hamster”?

atheist

I’m not sure whether independent (I presume the common misspelling would be independant) is worthy of the list; given that many dictionaries list dependant as a valid variant of the more usual spelling (in addition to defining it as ‘one who relies upon…’)

And how about commonly confused words like their, they’re and there? Or your and you’re?

Great input; I’ll add “medieval”, “atheist” and “hamster” to the spreadsheet (of course there’s a spreadsheet - anal, remember?:D)

I didn’t want to get into the whole “to, too, two” type issues because they’ve been done to death - I was just aiming at fairly commonly used words that people obviously have difficulties spelling.

Mangetout, I included “independent” because I’ve seen “independant” and “independance” often enough to think there is some difficulty there (which isn’t helped by “dependant” being a valid word on its own, just not correct in the way people are using it.)

Awwww ruin this OC’s fun :frowning:

I would like to submit “Gandhi.”

Buddha (commonly rendered ‘Bhudda’) too then

Another one in the misused homonym list: pique/peak.

I see so many people use the phrase “peaked their interest” when the correct form is “piqued their interest”. Looking at meaning helps - peak is the top of something, like a mountain peak, whereas pique means to jab or prick(same source at piquant, picante). Getting your interest piqued is when something jabs at you to get your attention, not when your interest is at it’s highest.

For some reason, this has been bothering me a lot.

Wahla! (or sometimes simply appearing as ‘viola’)

And don’t forget MY pet peeve:

Loose when you meant Lose, i.e.:

“The Lakers are going to loose the playoffs this year”

Dilemma. That one has bugged me for years - up until ten years ago, I was positive that spelling was wrong. Many other people I’ve spoken to have/had the same misconception.
A quick search on it here shows “dilemna” being used a bunch of times, by obviously intelligent posters. Where does that misspelling come from?

Oh yes. Please add my pet peeve: “definitely.” I asked a GQ about this a while ago b/c it was bothering me so much. If you search the SDMB for threads with each word, you won’t believe by how much “definately” outscores the correct “definitely.”

(I wood cheque, accept the hampsters are to sloe for all intensive purposes).

How exactly are people misspelling “demon”?

Would it be too much to ask that folks learn to use the apostrophe? “The car lost it’s engine” is just wrong.

Maybe as ‘daemon’ with the ‘a’ and the ‘e’ connected, or the intention of that connection?

And Dooku, don’t you mean “four all intensive porpoises?”

The OP has a great list - not a typo among them. Misspelling is ignorance while typos are more akin to stuttering or having an odd vocal tic like Jon Stewart’s “uh uh uh uh.” In a casual forum such as this board, I’m okay with motor skill issues - although the guilty should accept that others may be offended by their carelessness and the disrespect that may be inferred. Stewart, however, is on the TeeVee, and he should hold himself to a higher standard and get rid of that “uh uh uh uh.”

I quibble with variants on “etiquette” as misspelling, just as I accept several spellings for omelet. Although I wouldn’t accept “estiquet” in this day and age.

Wilson I’ve never seen “dilemna” on a list of common misspelling or on a list of common typos from MS and AOL users, perhaps because they have such small vocabularies that the term doesn’t come up. :wink: Amazon recognizes it as a possible search term. Perhaps this mn version is used by SDMB posters because, for reasons that are not clear to me, philosofolk enjoy that spelling.

Does anyone else wonder how many typo-riddled posts are the product of posters who are just fed the eff up with error pages and don’t want to spend another second trying to make their point? Honestly, I would take more care if my posting success rate was a scootch better.

Among the most common errors (one that, I’m ashamed to say, I’ve committed myself, even though I KNOW better!):

reins/reigns

And one of the more annoying one is a Latin phrase:
If something is happening over and over, to the point of making you sick to your stomach, the Latin phrase to use is NOT “ad nauseum.”

It’s “ad nauseAM.” Got that? “Nausea” is a feminine noun, and it takes the accusative case after “ad.” So, it’s “ad nauseAM,” not “ad nauseUM.”