Community -- 2/17/2011

Well, you know, jokes. The characters of Annie, Britta, Jeff, and Troy are well-liked. Some people find Abed mildly annoying, but recognize his role in the group. People often find Pierce too cartoon-villainy and Shirley, while not really ‘hated’, is just kind of boring as a character. So for the writers to acknowledge and have Pierce be a dick about it was amusing.

Britta is presented as annoyingly self-righteous, sure, but with a tragic angle. In her 30s, attending community college, single, used to be the pretty girl with all the guy friends who wanted her, now she’s in a study group with a hot girl that’s younger and she’s getting her ID checked at bars. She even admits to Jeff in Modern Warfare that “I am a phony. I try to act compassionate because I’m afraid that I’m not.” Plus she’s smoking hot. People like the character.

How odd on Britta. She is really good looking but would be annoying as a friend and nearly impossible as a girl friend. Shirley is generally a very nice person though her Church Lady stuff would be a mild irritant like a similar lady I work with in fact.

Also on Britta she is only around 28 and not in her 30s according to the show.

Annie of course is both cute and hot and nice and genuine and caring and has geek appeal and her only drawback of being ‘too young’ is countered by knowing the actress is older. I wonder if a potential Ginger vs. Mary Ann or Jennifer vs. Bailey thing is brewing for Community’s fan community?

I didn’t realize Abed annoyed people, he seems pretty cool and the humor between him and the others is one of the strongest things on the show.

The character was born in 1980. The character was 28 when the show started, in 2009. The show roughly follows a real timeline. The character will be 31 this year.

It has been going on since the show started. I seem to recall an Annie versus Britta thread on these very forums last year.

That episodes was one of my favorites. Loved Troy’s freak out when the Reading Rainbow guy appeared. I love this show, it is absolutely hilarious.

You mean brown Jamie Lee Curtis?

Nah, I’m talking about brown Joey. (you know it wasn’t until the third time I watched that episode that I figured out white Abed was Pudi in makeup?)

What Exit?, I find your posts hard to read as you seem to be confusing the actors with the characters they play? Making your posts kind of non-sensical.

Sorry, that might be too much time on TVtropes.

When looking at Annie, the character is young, but knowing the actress is older does help remove the squick factor.

I think the actress playing Britta is very good and she is very pretty but she has succeeded in making her character very annoying and shallow. Not someone you would want or have wanted a long term relationship with.

Pierce is hateful but watching Chase play Pierce is wonderful, like watching Danny DeVito play the even worse Louie De Palma. But Chang is not only horrible but I also take no enjoyment watching his interactions with the rest of the characters or watching the actor doing his work.

Does that make more sense?

If the character was 28 when the first season started, then she was 29 when the second season started, and will be 30 when the third season starts in the fall (assuming there is a third season starting in the fall and that the third season is the beginning of their third year attending the school).

Replies to Community Thread

[del]||||[/del] [del]||||[/del] [del]||||[/del] [del]||||[/del] [del]||||[/del] [del]||||[/del] [del]||||[/del] [del]||||[/del] [del]||||[/del] |||