Could Devin Nunes...lose?

Yeah, the San Joaquin Valley might as well be Kansas from a political standpoint. If anything were to hurt Nunes’ electability it would be Hispanic resistance and tariff backlash, but the former only seems to be prevalent down near the Mexican border in parts of Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico where there are a lot of legal immigrants with family members who are undocumented or want to immigrate, and the latter won’t have an impact until after the election. Even if farmers in the region are cognizant of the effects that tariffs will have (which is not anything that Congress has voted on, so Nunes has ostensible deniability even if he is the most ardent Trump supporter in Congress) their major concern is access to California’s increasingly sparse water reserves which is an issue that Nunes has used to garner support even if there is little he has or can actually affect.

In the fantasy, Nunes is found to actually be a patsy on the Russian payroll, gets censured and removed from Congress, and goes to Federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison for being a treasonous scumbag who has violated every norm of democracy. In reality, there is little substantive evidence that he is anything but a Trumpter dupe who has decided to be a lapdog to a would-be authoritarian administration. And SJV would still trying to re-elect him while he promises to support agricultural water rights from prison. That’s Chinatown for you.

Stranger

Never Trumper Liz Mair is tweeting that Devin Nunes might have difficulties similar Duncan Hunter’s ahead.

She tweeted an image of an email so it’s difficult for me to quote it.

I’ve driven that area before, although it was a few years. It was remarkable that I could pick up Rush Limbaugh on at least 3 different am radio stations (I was trying to find a ball game on the radio)

An article from the Fresno Bee describing the extreme security Nunes is using for his events.

Very stupid, in my opinion. I can see some Republicans who will just stay home in November and wondering just who the Hell Nunes thinks he is?

According to internal polling, Janz is still 6 points behind Nunes, so it’s going to be a challenge. However, IIRC, he started out with a double digit deficit immediately after the primary season and has now cut it to 6 points according to internal polling (which could be 6-10 points for all we know). A shocking upset isn’t outside the realm of the possible.

Turnout’s everything. If Democrats are energized, he could lose.

There isn’t a more despicable scumbag in politics; it’s depressing his poll numbers are even in double digits.

If we ever wanted to get a glimpse into the authoritarian mindset of today’s republican party, then this is a prime example. Here we have one of the most powerful legislators essentially blocking access to his constituents unless they consent to searches of their personal property, presumably as a means of testing their loyalty. It’s a shocking disregard for democratic norms, but then again, in today’s age, not that shocking.

One way to combat such a maneuver would be to organize a mass protest outside the venue. A protest so large that more of the attention is directed to what’s happening outside the venue than inside.

An article from the Fresno Bee describing Nunes having his picture taken with a man making white power hand signs at a private campaign event.

White nationalists in Clovis? Say it isn’t so?

Stranger

Esquire just published an interesting (and long) article about Rep. Nunes and his family’s business.

I was hoping the article was going to be an exposé on Nunes as a deep cover Russian operative, but the FSB pales in comparison to the wrathful vengeance the dairy industry could wreck upon the nation if threatened.

“Devin Nunes is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I’ve ever known in my life.”

Stranger