CSI: Miami. is it purposely this bad?

Involuntarily (peer pressure… in-law pressure, really) I half-watched one episode of one of the CSI shows. I have no idea if it was Miami or not. The plot centered around a missing child, and the investigators found a registered sex offender working nearby. I wasn’t following all that closely, but as best I could make out, they brought him in with very little evidence except that he was working nearby (and in a chuck-e-cheez type establishment, which was a violation of his registration) bullied the hell out of him in questioning, he committed suicide, and of course, he hadn’t been the one to take the child.

And there was absolutely no sense that the investigators had done anything wrong. Or that there was any moral ambiguity in arresting someone on fairly flimsy grounds and interviewing them in a manner that probably wouldn’t hold up in court and that drove them to their death. Because, won’t somebody think of the children?

After that, no amount of pressure to hang out with the family when one of those shows is on will make me stay in the room!

(Bastards made me watch You’ve Got Mail one time, too. Bah. In-laws.)

My girlfriend and I love CSI, although we prefer the NY one. It doesn’t seem quite as unbelievable, although I do enjoy pointing out things they would never do (sometimes to her exasperation)

“Lab techs don’t kick in doors with guns blazing!”
“All those tests they did would take weeks in real life and the case is wrapped up in 4 hours!”
“Shouldn’t actual detectives be interviewing suspects and not the lab techs?”

and what all the CSIs are known for:

Suspect: “You’re showing me all the evidence that I did it, so I’m going to go into full on confession with an impassioned explanation of why I did it without asking for my lawyer.”

Just the same, I love it.

Someone cast David Caruso in it, I’m guessing their goal was: lets make this bad - I mean *really *bad.

I’ll take staccato Horatio every day of the week and twice on sunday instead of Grissom’s “Nevada is the 7th largest importer of soccer ball valves and they mostly sell them to Indonesian immigrants working for bold guys born in March” speeches.

That sounds fantastic. Link?

Especially in Miami. In Dexter, one of their lab rats is a serial killer and the other is Quagmire (Masuka).

The most recent one was on 7/27 (part 2) found at Dameshek on Demand (or on iTunes), but I expect there will be another posted later today. On a related note, apparently Caruso has caught wind of the game and expressed some interest in playing at some point fingers crossed.

badbadrubberpiggy:

As ably demonstrated here (YouTube link).

Sometimes really bad…

[glasses]

…is good.

My mother likes it when I’m with her and we watch together a show set in a place where I’ve lived. She likes being able to ask “which building is that” and put visuals on the things my letters mentioned.

CSI Miami has people moving in minutes (as in, less than half an hour) between locations that are two hours apart with the roads empty if you get lucky on the traffic lights. Add that the reason I lived in Miami was to go to graduate school in Chemistry and yeah, I sort’a like to treat the whole thing as a comedy set in an alternate universe where the laws of Physics aren’t quite the same as in ours.

Actually, I could picture seeing that on the show.

A few thoughts…

Proctor is awful on this show. It’s like she is trying to show no emotion the whole time while she is also stifling her southern accent.

The yellow filter is over the top, but the blue on the NY version is almost as bad.

I looked up the murder numbers in Las Vegas once and I figured that just about every homicide in the county must end up on the show to account for the two or three per week they go through.

It’s not 24…where people move around LA in minutes between locations that are hours apart.

I like how everything having to do with crime solving must tie back to CSI for people.

Me: I do computer forensics
Person: OH! Like CSI!
Me: It’s not that kind…[glasses]…of forensics.

Or like last night I was watching Dateline or whatever and they are talking about how they tied some serial killer in MA to a murder 200 miles away in PA and how “CSI” it was. Yeah dumbass. Let me know when the lab gets back with that receipt that you found in the truck driven by the guy who you just caught red handed trying to kill someone that is marked from a truck stop a block from the PA victims house on the exact date around the same time she was murdered.