Current Status of SDMB Upgrade

Thank you for the continued updates in the OP. This is great of you to keep us informed.

I see that you are “Currently Working On”
*Fix broken drop downs on navigation bars *
Does that include restoring the **Colors List Dropdown **in the Edit Window or is that a seperate issue that will be addressed later?

Thank you again for all the improvements and the hard work.

Jim

Jerry,

I would like to subscribe again. I’ll shoot you an email this weekend. When I do, shall I just include my credit card info or is there a more elegant/easier/sercure way you had in mind?

There is some type of style problem effecting the vBMenu DHTML popups such as the navigation bar’s Search, Quick Links, etc. dropdowns on forum display and thread pages that contain more than one page. This same problem appears to have been effecting the Edit Window dropdowns as well. I’ve disabled vBMenu DHTML popups for the time being until I have time to debug the style issue. The Color Lists Dropdown should now be there.

You can always send me a number I can reach you at and I’ll call you on Monday morning (or a convenient time for you) so you don’t have to disclose that information in e-mail.

The menus look much better now in the edit window and the colors work. The fonts are still working. The Sizes are still working.

This is all in IE7 on Win XP sp2

Thank you very much,
Jim

Not a complaint, but rather an inquiry and possible alert.

The other day, I went to look at some of the old, recently restored threads, by changing the range at the bottom of Great Debate to “From the Beginning.”

I discovered that no matter what the settiing, only the last 200 threads would list.

Today I checked a couple other forums, and found the same to be true.

My hunch is that you have it set to do that while you’re troubleshooting the upgrades; is that in fact the case? If not, were you aware it was doing it?

I’ll reply to your previous email with my contact info. Thanks again for your personal attention with this. You’re racking up quite the post count keeping us all informed.

I had to hack the forum display code so it didn’t bog itself down trying to determine how many threads match your chosen display option range (1 days, 2 days, etc.). So yes, I have it limited to 200 threads. 200 is an arbitrary number I just picked, it could be higher. Yesterday I tried a number of ways to optimize the hack to return some of the functionality you’ve noted is missing but even the optimized code brought the server to a standstill eventually. It’s going to require more work than just the simple things I was doing to get that piece of code performing adequately so unfortunately a long term fix is deferred until I can get the bulk of the other issues addressed.

My memory is vague, but I seem to remember there has always been some limit to the number of posts that can come up from a search. Can’t remember what is was before, though.

Still, reading 200 posts is too much. Better tune that search.

Speaking of which, Google searches are on the short list of improvements to come, so we could search like crazy until we find what we are looking for.

Is the option of making Google search the standard search method being considered? That could take some load off the servers, right? (or maybe I just misunderstand how that works)

Jerry: Thanks for the answer, and also hanks for all your diligent work. Yeah, fix things in the order you see as most needed (not that I’d have any say, anyways). I just wanted to be sure you’d done it or at least were aware of it.

Sapo: This is not results of a search, but forum display menus (which are, technically, a form of search, I suppose). By default, the menu displays threads in that forum active in the last 24 or 48 hours or the last week, but it can be reset to a wide range of what-to-list. That’s what cut off at 200 threads, no matter what. There was a cap on number of search results before the upgrade, and until Jerry’s happy with the stability of things, I don’t want to try one just to see how it works.

[delete]delete[/delete]
[strikethrough]strikethrough[/strikethrough]
[strike]strike[/strike]
[st]st[/st]

IIRC, the [delete] tag used to work. Has it been disabled, or am I missing something?

[del]del[/del]

Umm… never mind, I found it.

I’ve asked before in another thread, but got no official notice there, so…

Please, please, please set the “Go to first unread post” timer to a longer duration!

It is annoying to click on a thread, read a page of new posts, then go back to the forum page to see that all the other “Go to first unread post” links have gone away. Unless you recommend opening multiple threads in tabs simultaneously, which by definition will eat more server resources, it would be very useful to have those links last longer.

On the board that I used to administrate, we had it set for one week. Even a couple hours would be better than whatever it’s at now. (zero? 15 min?)

I would think in this instance to have a page of posts, open one in new tab, reply/to it/close it out/move to the next one on the page/open in new tab, that’s really not a huge amount of resources.

But I’ll bring this to Jerry’s attention and see what’s to be done here.

ISTR that Jerry is aware of this issue, but it’s one of those things that are happening while other things are tweaked which also allow the boards to run relatively quickly these days.

But what I really wanted to say is that I never even THOUGHT about your suggestion, Tuba, and that IS a decent workaround in the meantime. Thanks :slight_smile:

Apologies if I missed a response to this in skimming this thread, but will this also involve restoring normal Member status if it’s been lost? This Guest status is a little irritating (if that’s what’s responsible for the lost post count and missing Quick Reply box).

Quick Reply is missing across the board for all posters.

Your guest status is going to be changed to eventually as follows.

From the SDMB Server Migration/Upgrade Plan

Thanks for the clarification, What Exit?

The only thing that leaves me a little uncertain is your last quote - I was a Member before the upgrade, and I don’t think my membership was about to expire, so I’m hoping I actually end up as a Subscriber. (Of course, my memory could be playing tricks on me here, and I could be wrong.)

Crusoe, I show your membership as having expired September 1, which was when we were initially going through the upgrade process.

You can resubscribe at any time. Check the “Paid Subscription” link in the User Control Panel from the list on the left hand side.

The user titles are not all correct for all people – this is something Jerry needs to address at some point. But since all relevant titles can read and write to the board – Charter Member, Member, and Guest – it’s not an urgent matter.

If you open one tab per thread singly, it will use fewer server resources in the long run.