Custom Licence Plates — Seen in the Wild

The other day I was driving to work and ended up behind a car with a custom plate:

BLEAGH

And a cheerful commute to you today as well.

Just this afternoon I saw a recent model year Corvette with plate L8R BRO.

Tonight I was behind a plain white panel van with DUWOP-UP. I suppose his van is full of musical instruments and band gear.

Rare to see two interesting plates in one day, but somehow Fate knew this thread would get started so I’m well-supplied.

One of my neighbors in this building has a Dodge Viper with SN8K.

One of my faves that I’ve only seen twice around town in 10 years is an Audi that has INNIE.

This was from before COVID. There was a car show in the area(as evidenced by the cars I saw running around town). I was passed by a smallish economy car painted a deep custom bluish-purple with the license plate MNTOYA. It took a while to come up with the color name then it made sense.
It was an Indigo MNTOYA.

I hope he doesn’t run into the guy who killed his father.

A while back, I saw a car with the license plate YESH LI (Hebrew for “I have it” or “it’s mine”).

The killer will be easy to spot, driving this car:

I’ve told this story before. When I was a kid my Mom was a court stenographer using those weird quasi-typewriter gizmos (Stenotype - Wikipedia) decades before the advent of audio recording computers. That link leads directly to a sample of their output that’s utterly incomprehensible to mere mortals.

CA was one of the first states to start selling custom “vanity” license plates back in the late 1960s-ish. With of course some limits on what words they’d accept: no profanity, etc. Almost immediately one of her co-workers ordered one that read “FUCK YOU” in machine shorthand. Which looked something like “TPUBGU” to folks like you and me.

That person was an instant legend in reporter-land. Everybody else was :man_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: why didn’t I think of that!?

Unlike the famous case of GOT MILF, I don’t think the authorities ever wised up.

Not my picture, but I did see this on the web a few weeks ago:

Imgur

Living in an area in Berlin known for its gay culture I find it funny how many cars here have a plate that begins B-OY-XXX. BMWs like to show B-MW-XXX and so many Smart are B-IG-XXX, XXX being one to four digits. It is mild customing, quite frequent since they started allowing it for a modest fee.
I read that in Aachen plates with AC-DC-XXX are quite sought after.

My favorite vanity tag was “VANITY”.

If it’s yours, is that cheating?

Neat photo, but i can’t read the plate.

Seen years ago on some snazzy, fast car:

LAAAATE

I think that plate says BRONKA?

The link is clickable and zoomable…

Get it?
You know- for kids.

Clickable, and just a mass of fuzz when i try to zoom.

I’ve poster it before, but a local beauty salon owner has BOX WXR as a plate, which apparently was just subtle enough to make it through DMV.

Saw a car in Arizona with the plate 15 FOR 2. That plate is available in my state and I would like to have it but the extra $65 a year to renew a vanity plate has me rethinking getting it.