Cyberpunk 2077 has a date! 4-16-2020

All of these are MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games). The Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077 are single-player CRPGs. They’re completely different genre’s, mainly due to MMOs having to account for thousands of users being connected simultaneously to the same server and therefore having to simplify various aspects of both gameplay and narrative while also relying (to various degrees) on various forms of emergent gameplay.

That doesn’t match any definition of roleplaying game I’ve ever heard before, and I’ve been playing D&D almost as long as you have (since 1984, to be exact). Roleplaying, to me, has always been about becoming the character - not just moving him around like a piece of on the board, but entering his head, thinking like him. Being him. RPGs, essentially, are games of empathy. The actions I take in an adventure are not actions that I would do, but rather actions the character would do. *That’s *roleplaying. It doesn’t matter if I’m alone or with other people, although obviously in tabletop situations, it’s more fun playing off other party members.

I’ve also played plenty of single-class parties. Why not?

In 1 and 2, yes. In 3, you have a a bunch of huge maps to explore full of sidequests to finish, and you can keep on playing until you’ve covered every corner of them. After that… I suppose you play something else? It’s not D&D; it’s a game, not a lifestyle.

No, the “role” in “role-playing” is like a role in a movie or play. It refers to playing a character, not tactics.

I haven’t played Mario Galaxy or Banjo-Kazooie. Reading the wikipedia entry on them, neither seems to fulfill any of the criteria I used to define an RPG. However, Mario Galaxy had co-operative multiplayer, and Banjo-Kazooie apparently refers to two different characters that the player controls for the whole game, so apparently they are RPGs under your definition?

Im sorry, I thought I was clear that IMO any further discussion of “what is an RPG” should be made in a separate thread; it is hijacking this one unnecessarily.

Delayed again:’

We are nowhere near Duke Nuke’em Forever territory though.
Brian

DN4E it may not be, but even after the the third delay they had a lot of goodwill and the comments were overwhelmingly positive. Now, they just took that and threw it in the toilet. The game has gone gold already and apparently their PR guy was telling people yesterday that the game was releasing on schedule. So “someone’” screwed up in a huge way. This just doesn’t happen normally - and it can’t be last-minute bug fixing because they still have three weeks to launch. That would normally be enough time to deal with anything but the most complex and crippling problems and maybe even add a minor feature or add more polish.

In addition, it may have a huge impact on sales. CDPR may now miss a big chunk of the Christmas rush, since the game just won’t be available during the hottest retail period. Sure, you can still buy it digitally but anyone who wanted to put something under the tree may skip it. (Before a million people leave comments nitpicking me: I can think of hyopthetical counter-arguments. The point is that CDPR is taking a huge risk doing this.)

There is a possibility that management decided to do this to avoid internal complaints about Crunch. This is only a wild guess - they did not clarify.

I don’t see the risk in delaying as all that huge. The game is going to be massive in sales no matter what. Witcher 3 went on to place in top ten charts for years after release. Whatever they lose in December 2020 sales, they probably figure they’ll make up along the way.

I suspect it’s much harder to recover from a bad launch. Games have done it, sure, but if a game gets an initial reputation as being a problem then people decide to wait, then figure “Well, I waited this long might as well wait for a sale” and otherwise put it off. Granted, I don’t know if the game is a mess for launch purposes – the public statement makes it sound as though all it needs is another coat of polish but it feels improbable to delay for that.

I have a pre-order in for the game but I don’t really care about the delay. I’ll get it when I get it and I have a ton of other things to play in the meantime. Bug fixes or polish or just alleviating employee crunch, it’s all the same to me.

They are claiming this is due to the time it takes to test nine versions of the game (all console variants and PC). If they only made this for the PC then we’d probably have had it out months ago.

That was my suspicion. Since the release slipped to the gen 9 console window, I am pretty damn sure they are working to shore up holes emerging there. I’m willing to bet even gen 8 console versions were solid when they announced gold.

Cyberpunk will hit the streets in the US (for PC) on Wednesday.

Anyone else excited?

I’m waiting for reviews and then will wait for a good sale. I’m hoping by summer(I’m a teacher) to get a chance to play it.

I hope it is good.

The title of this thread is rather amusing given the last few posts. What was that date? The date they announced it was going to be launching in August (or whenever)?

Given how much people have complained about buggy games rushed out of production to hit a time table for current earnings reports, it’s nice to see that a public gaming company actually knows how to correctly manage a launch. (Yes, CD Projekt is a public company - listed in Warsaw of course - and is one of the major companies on that index) Given they’re the people behind GOG, it makes sense - they understand what people playing games actually want, and they’ve ridden that to being the largest (market cap) gaming company in Europe in May this year at least according to Wikipedia. Hopefully they can show EA, Activision, etc, that you can still make plenty of money even if you give people exactly what they want and not a bunch of buggy microtransaction games.

Of course, wait for the reviews.

Also, is Keanu Reeves playing the “same role” as Patrick Stewart in Oblivion? A comment from a long time ago in this thread made me think that.

I believe developers have said he has the second most lines in the game.

I don’t want to potentially spoil anything for people who don’t want stuff spoiled but I think it’s safe to say that my understanding is that Reeves plays a significant core role in the game.

Looking forward to Wednesday. I lucked into an RTX 3080 a month or so ago so I’m ready to trace all the rays and stuff.

Can’t wait for this game. I played the paper RPG version for many years.

Is it not original? I had no idea it was based on anything.

Cyberpunk was one of the more significant tabletop RPG’s, from way back in 1988. The widely-popular second edition was named Cyberpunk 2020, which is presumably why the video game will be named Cyberpunk 2077. Author Mike Pondsmith even created a new edition called Cyberpunk Red which released earlier this year.

Edit: Pondsmith, and CP2020, form the basis of CP2077 and many of the historical, and sometimes current, characters are from the books. Any who are still alive are going to be fairly old and/or not entirely human, but at least four significant characters from the books are involved in the game. Likewise, Night City was a tabletop setting for the game.

The game is available for pre-loading.

Gamespot gave it 7/10.

However, IGN gave it a 9/10.

Sounds like it is good, but may have some issues and not just “bug” issues.

Well, there is no way that they could have played the entire game. Even if it isn’t great, it should be long which is nice in the middle of a lock-down.