D & D on the Straight Dope setup thread. (In Middle Earth FA63)

I guess the devil will be in the details. I would’ve preferred to pick up where we left off, after some interval (weeks? months?) in gametime, as I posted before, but I’ll go with the flow. I know we’ll have fun no matter what. I’ll just tell myself it’s an alternate universe if things turn out 'way differently.

Thanks again, WE, for offering us this opportunity again!

For general information on Wizards!

At 5th, you get 4 1st, 3 2nd, 2 3rds for spell slots

You get 4 cantrips. You can only change out a cantrip on making level generally.

You get to memorize 10 spells though as this is your level plus your spell casting stat mod.

Your spell book contains 4 spells + 2 per level and any you’ve bought.

But any spells in your spell book with the Ritual tag, can be cast without being memorized and without using a spell slot. They just take an extra 10 minutes to cast.

Remember to watch out for spells tagged as Concentration, only one can be sustained at a time.

Look at Shield, it can be cast as a reaction and if you’re hit, you can pop it up for an extra 5ac until the start of your next round.

A question just came up about alignment:

Everyone in the party should be good. This is absolutely a world of Good vs Evil and some of the evil is irredeemable. Especially the strong undead of course.

Can we get a cast of characters list?

Something like player name, character name, character race/class?

I think it will help keep everything straight.

Player Character Class- Subclass Race Sex Notes
NAF1138 Gwaelur Fighter - BattleMaster Khazad Dwarf M The Tank
Glee Ghân-buri-Ghân Druid - Shepherd Wose M Healer, Tracker & Support
kenobi_65 Ceol Paladin - Ancients Oromë Rohirrim M Holy Knight
Hoopy_Frood Bitur son of Bofur Artificer - Battle Smith Khazad Dwarf M Skillster & Brick
John_DiFool Hejren Wizard -Divination Wood Elf F Artillery
Elendil_s_Heir Thoroncir Fighter- Cavalier Dúnedain M Leader/Protector
NPC Renee Gilraen Telcontar Cleric - Life of Estë Dúnedain (½ Elf) F The Princess/Healer

We’ll update this as we go along.

I believe both myself & Ghân-buri-Ghân will be able to fulfill some scouting duties.

I think that the only subclass (or the like) for paladins is which sacred oath one takes; Ceol will have the Oath of the Ancients, which I think fits best thematically with Middle-Earth.

Sounds good, your prime Valar should probably be Oromë or possibly Varda (Light, especially star light) or Yavanna (effectively Mother Nature)

What Special did you choose? Was it the sense strong Evil or Good?

Oromë would probably give you some sort of Horse Bonus.
Varda would probably replace turning Fey with turning Wraith World Undead.
Yavanna would be something that helped with nature spells.

Originally, Ceol’s patron was Eönwë, and thus, by extension, Manwë, but I’d be open to adjusting that a bit for the new campaign. Oromë would make a lot of sense.

That’s the one for me! :slight_smile:

Bitur can also aid in scouting since he has a +6 in perception.

Just don’t expect him to be stealthy about it.

He has many other redeeming characteristics.

Here are two Tolkien Wikis I’ve found very helpful, incidentally. Some good illustrations, too:

Ghan is happy to fight evil (e.g. his beloved forests have been attacked), but is there no Neutrality in the game?

Ghan can also talk to encountered animals and has a Giant Eagle friend (Windwing) for aerial surveillance.
He can help scouts by casting Pass without Trace on them.

If we had a Hobbit, Windwing could carry them for a while. :sunglasses:)

There is neutrality, but you should be opposed to the undead in most cases and a servant of Yavanna basically. You can absolutely be opposed to towns & villages clear cutting old growth and wiping out habitats of course. Thus pulling you more towards neutrality by the standards of Men, Dwarves and even Hobbits.

It’s tricky and not straight forward in the end. As it should be. For the Paladin it is easy. Good vs. Evil is straight forward in most cases.

I’m very happy with that.
Ghan despises undead abominations and reveres life.
Also normal ‘good’ stuff like mining is not always to Ghan’s liking (e.g. if the land is not restored afterwards.)

Mining is the cornerstone of civilization Ghan!

I’m not sure I can be friends with you if you feel this way.

– Gwaelur, Mountain Dwarf
Child of a miner.

Ghan understands that Dwarves make wonderful cities underground and in particular they don’t desecrate the land e.g. with strip mining.

Boys, boys…

Oh, OK then. I’m a bit literal sometimes.

Seems like it’s just a miner dispute between party members.

ducks and runs