Dang it, Propel! Why'd you have to change? Grrrr

Exactly right. We enjoy cleanest, safest water supply the human race has ever known and it’s never good enough for anybody.

Sorry, I hate plain water. That means tap, bottled, seltzer – if it’s (plain) water, I can’t stand it. I go with Crystal Light iced tea but have wandered into Powerade Zero territory as well to get hydration without calories.

I don’t understand how people can hate water. It’s something that if you don’t take in, you die. Animals have gotten along for hundreds of millions of years without adding sugar. Clint Mathis, a professional soccer player, hates the stuff too apparently. He used to drink pop during and after games/practice.

Well, this was about 2 years ago, and it was really hot that summer. The grocery store was right across the street from where I worked so it was not too difficult to grab a case and stick it under my desk.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the feeling in my throat of chugging an icy cold beverage on a hot day. Then I would usually sip on one or two for a while until lunch came around. Then after going out to get lunch (again, in the heat) I would chug another one and then sip another one while eating lunch. Then maybe another one or two in the afternoon.

Little did I realize how much of the evil super-sugar I was drinking.

I contribute this fact as the reason as why I gained so much weight that summer. (Well, that, and the fact that I had to quit working out due to breaking a hand.)

Nowadays, I only drink tea or water (Well, during the duty day, at least). Regular tap water is fine, but I will enjoy the filtered stuff too.

As an aside, every summer we get reports in the DC area warning people about the lead content in the water. Reports on the news to let taps run for a full 5 minutes before using water to drink or even cook! :eek:

Back to the point: No, I don’t think there is anything wrong with tap water. I just wanted something with more flavor to it. Yes, I used to drink a buttload of soda each day. I just grew up that way and got used to it. But now, plain old water is just fine. I just didn’t use any of my shopping skills or consumer prowess to compare labels to find a more healthy alternative. This simply reinforces the fact that I am truly a lazy bastard. :cool:

Another thing that I don’t understand: These ultra-snooty pretentious fops who sing the praises of their super-filtered ultra-pure imported from some unknown place at great expense water drinkers who put their precious special super water in a big mug and then add ice cubes from the fridge to keep it cold. :confused:

Do they not realize that the ice makers use the tap water lines? :smack:

Dang, dude. That means you drank an extra 625-875 calories a day, just in vitamin water. Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if you gained weight doing that.

Obviously if there were no alternative, I would choke down water. Given that there is an alternative, I will never drink plain water if I don’t have to, and it doesn’t help to tell me that there is wonderful tap water available for free. I have switched from diet soda to Crystal Light because the latter seems closer to pure hydration than soda.

I’m now switched over to water, but I understand what you mean. I used to hate water. Even if I tried to cut down caffeine, I’d just get caffeine-free pop and the Crystal Light packets.

Then I figured I’d just cut pop etc out (at least as much as possible) and just made myself drink water. The first few days sucked. Now it’s been almost 3 weeks with nothing but water, herbal tea and the occasional beer/wine. :wink: I actually drink more fluids now and find myself enjoying water.

I think it’s that you have to switch your body/mind over to preferring plain water. Not that you have to or anything; just that if you try, it’ll take a bit.

If you’re working out hard enough to need a sports drink over regular water, then you need the sodium, even if you do have high blood pressure.

If you get seriously thirsty, I’m pretty sure the water will taste okay. Nothing does more for the taste of water than thirst.

I buy 1/2 gallon bottles of 100% fruit juse (nothing with added sugar or corn syrup or shit like that) and mix them down to about 30-40 calories per 8 oz. Before diluting, they come usually 130-160 calories per 8 oz.

For electrolytes, I add a sprinkle or 2, not enough to be able to taste it.

this is all very good, and on occasion I have been known to water stuff down more, although at that point is is not really as readily absorbable during exercise.

Excellent! Take it running, hiking, to the gym, on a bike, or just around the house. I can’t drink undiluted now - too sweet!

I miss the old Propel bottles. No unscrewing! The new ones, you have to unscrew - what genius thought this was an improvement? And I loved the old ones because it was the only bottle with a neck wide enough to cram ice cubes down. I liked the lemon (only), but straight up it was a bit much, so I’d pour out half and cram it full of ice and have vaguely flavored cold water all day. And that bottle held almost 24 oz - 3 of your 8 glasses a day! Oh, I’m bitter! But slightly comforted to know I am not the only one…

Are you related to Dr. Bronner?

The cleanest drinking water in the world is most probably true. However, I just moved from a city that the water had chlorine and chloramines, and a metric shitload of lime, to a well that tests for dissolved solids very close to R/O water.

Yay! More HFCS in your diet! Now they even add it to water.

I complained to the company about my favorite drink - lemon Propel - changing and not tasting good any longer because it’s too sweet and told them I would no longer buy it. They told me about changing the Sucrose Syrup to High Fructose Corn Syrup with no explanation and sent me coupons. How funny is that? I think we need to protest loudly because I want it back!

What I don’t get is why they changed to HFCS, when there’s been a huge brou ha ha over it and other companies have changed away from HFCS or are at least putting out a HFCS-free version. That just seems incredibly odd.

And they seem so proud of it. It’s almost like, “NOW WITH MORE TRANS FATS!” being prominently displayed on a label, heh.

The switch to HFCS was more than likely money motivated. It’s less expensive than what the sucralose they were using previously. greed ruins another good product…

You’re not telling me that you buy this marketing trend of soft drinks being called “water”, do you? Propel was never anymore “water” than Coke or Pepsi is.

I buy a Gatorade every now and then for the twist-top water bottle.

Meant to say “sucrose” rather than sucralose in my previous post…

I can’t believe after all of the years I have looked for a healthy drink and then found one, Pepsi has to go and change it. I don’t mind a change but leave the original for those of us who buy case after case a week and hate the new one. It does have a diet taste now-Please Pepsi bring it back to your loyal drinkers!!

Bonnie H. Las Vegas, NV