[QUOTE=Carlyjay]
I guess all of you are right, it just really sucks. I thought some people were beyond this sort of behaviour. I mean, we’re almost 30. Actually, she IS 30. And always seemed intelligent and above this sort of ridiculous behaviour.
Neither of us were ever the sort who talked about weddings. We never competed about anything in our friendship, ever. And suddenly this is a huge problem. I know LOADS of people who have gotten engaged and married, and I’ve never been anything but delighted for them. I didn’t think it was too much to ask that one of my closest friends would do the same for me.
Disgusting, disgusting, disgusting. What a horrible person.
[/QUOTE]
I agree. People like this are nobody’s friend.
My situation is that my own sister (43) went out of her way to show total and utter boredom with anything even vaguely associated with my wedding (now over 2 years ago). She studied fashion design for several years (I even helped her out physically with her projects and financially with some materials) but she didn’t say one word about my dress, what would suit me, what wouldn’t etc. Even when I tried to draw her on the subject, her attitude as “blah”.
I was excited and happy and couldn’t wait, she was so sour and miserable and such a stone effing bitch about anything and everything to do with it. I had girls I used to work with some 5 years beforehand emailing me asking if they could do anything to help out (and they weren’t part of the wedding party, they just wanted to help). She made me sick to my stomach and it was the straw that broke the camel’s back with me - these days I don’t speak to her and, in the next month or so, she’ll be moving away and I’ll happily say that I will be disowning her from that point on (at the moment I have to deal with her and this problem is larger than just the wedding thing but that was the final thing to make me realize she’s a total cow).
The problem, I believe, comes down to jealously. She was green as green could be with jealously and she just couldn’t see beyond it, even for her own sister. If the tables were turned and she was getting married, I’d have been thrilled for her and happy she was happy. That would have been enough for me. I guess its true what they say, you can’t choose your family, nor can you kill them!