Oh, you’re not the only one.
After an admittedly stupid (and crude) whispered-in-her-ear comment I made to the MOH at my former-best-friend’s-daughter’s wedding, I was let go. It was a stupid nasty thing to say, but was at the time meant to be funny and clearly wasn’t. Okay, okay, I’ll tell you…
I made a completely thought-out crude comment to the MOH, because, like me, she had slept with the bride’s uncle. Now, I’m 40, uncle is 45, MOH is uh, 24 - I’ve known uncle for 20 years. I pondered making the comment “did’ja ever think D might be gay, since he likes it so much from behind”?, and did, because I thought it funny. Maybe we had something in common. Ummm, no. I apologized the moment it came out of my mouth. Her horrified look prompted it. I really thought I was being funny. Oops.
Turns out that this is the most awful thing ever done and that in spite of the drunken family members hitting on folks and in various states of undress while dancing - it is the only thing that stands out now in anyone’s recollection of the wedding. I guess word travels fast when it’s whispered and rude. Yes, I fucked up. I admitted it and apologized for it…many, many times - to many people.
After a month, I emailed former-best-friend. She responded with much vitriol and we went back and forth with me apologizing for everything I’ve ever done in her presence that had bothered her. A twenty-year friendship that apparently was totally superficial because she had secretly had all these things she hated about me. She pulled all of them out, and there I was apologizing for something said fifteen years ago. Idiot me. Well, after getting tired of grovelling, I reveiwed all of her emails and decided that if she really felt the way she said she did - we weren’t really friends to begin with.
It’s hard - I likened it to a break-up with a lover. I’d done so much for and with this friend, and still miss her. We stay in contact via impersonal email forwards, and I’ll occasionally drop her a personal email to which she’ll respond, but it’s not the same. I don’t think I can ever forget or forgive the nasty things she said about me.
Thank God I don’t have to get my KGB (prescription, folks, settle down!) thru D anymore. THAT would’a been some serious ass-kissin which I just wasn’t up to. Thank You California.
Oh, and I also lost a friend during MY wedding planning stage - she (as a bridesmaid) was angry she was not MOH, while we hadn’t been close in two + years. That’s about the time that former-best-friend and I had become quite close, so it was only natural to ask FBF. When she started balking at fittings and such I told her that maybe just being in the wedding was too much pressure/financial problem and gave her an out. She took it.