[QUOTE=Cervaise]
Lincoln McPieflag?
[/QUOTE]
Ha! Phenomenal! I give that one five stars. 
[QUOTE=Sarahfeena]
Just make mine non-alcoholic, as it’s not a great plan to be boozing it up in the first trimester! 
[/QUOTE]
I don’t know if you posted this anywhere else where congratulations might be more in keeping with the thread, but congrats!
[QUOTE=Beaucarnea]
Nope. So long as you feel the same way about an overly helpful teenage girl. Or a woman in her mid-twenties whose hands are free when you are carrying packages. Or a girl scout. Or a boy scout. I see no reason to limit your snarling disdain to gentlemen of a certain age.
[/QUOTE]
I’d agree with this, except the issue is specifically the assumed insult that cross-gender deference causes. I’m not saying I agree that it is an insult, but just that it seems the issue is specifically gender based. When men behave a certain way it is insulting because of the percieved connotations of those actions as performed by men.
[QUOTE=Ghanima]
Here I go again, I know I’m going to regret this, but oh well, it’s not like any of you know where I live…
I think it’s important to preserve the idea of behaving differently (i.e. “respectfully”) toward women. I think that this is a way of society protecting both men and women (and young women in particular), and despite what catsix and others say I believe that the young women in our society do need protection. (No, I’m not saying that every man is secretly a rapist or anything, but I do think that young women in particular are a very targeted group in society for harassment and exploitation. They are unmistakably sexual beings whether they are aware of it or not and this attracts attention, often unwanted attention.)
The societal standard of having men act extraordinarily “respectful” of women and young women in particular creates a perceived boundary or distance that protects both young women and men. By providing boundaries, “manners” help create an environment where we feel and where we are safer. The true societal purpose behind a man holding a door open for a woman is not to save the woman from doing the labor of opening the door herself. It is to indicate that the man is showing undue respect for women, thereby signalling that one is operating within the type of society that one is familiar with, to prevent forcing a woman to ask for help if she needs it, which puts her automatically in a vulnerable position, and to distinguish him from the sort of man who has no respect for women and is therefore to be avoided. It is a play of signals that put both people at ease. It has nothing to do with the strength of one’s biceps.
I hope I’m getting my thought across. One only has signals and body language to work with when one is interacting with strangers. This type of behavior is useful. To abolish it would mean that you are ridding your society of the types of signals that allow you to judge what kind of situations or persons you are dealing with. This seems infinitely more inconsiderate and dangerous to me.
[/QUOTE]
This is a great post. I actually wanted to say something sort of similar. I’d say another ‘true societal purpose’ of holding the door is for a man to demonstrate his politeness and concern for women, thus indicating in part that he’d be a good potential partner. Not necessarially for the woman for whom he is holding the door, but whomever. “Ah! There is a man who is helpful and kind towards women, who tries to make their lives easier. What a good husband he would make!”
[QUOTE=Beaucarnea]
And in the United States we have certain cultural habits. We offer (offer; not insist) to offer a seat or open a door for a lady, for our elders, for the infirm, or for the visibly exhausted or uncomfortable (I am including pregnant here) because it is a kind and polite thing to do. Doesn’t matter whether the other person is wearing a skirt or pants.
[/QUOTE]
I’m with you in thinking that this is not such a horrible thing, but I think you’re a bit blind to the gender roles being played out in this scenario. You say it doesn’t matter whether the other person is wearing a skirt or pants, and yet we open doors for people of various criteria, and all women. Why not all men as well? Wouldn’t it be polite and kind for anyone to hold the door for anyone else? Why isn’t that the case?
[QUOTE=catsix]
I’m not one of those people who say ‘let’s keep the differences so long as they benefit me.’
[/QUOTE]
I don’t think that holding the door for women necessarially benefits women more than it does men (see Ghanima’s post). Holding a door for a woman gives a man a sense of worth, a sense of ‘doing a good deed,’ and communicates that he is concerned with the well-being of others. It lets people know in a small way that he is aware of them, and that he can be counted on to make things easier for those around him. None of this is insignificant. Holding the door, while often totally unnecessary from the, er, holdee’s point of view, achieves many things for the holder.