Because they said so. See this is a web forum. On it, people express opinions and then other people express different opinions. Cemetery Savior and a couple of others have expressed the opinion that they offer seats on trains and buses to any woman, even if she’s totally physically fit, but they don’t do the same for able bodied men. Silly me, I took them at their word and then argued against their practice of doing that.
Apparently the fact that they have directly stated why they do it means I still don’t know their reasons. How, other than being directly told, am I supposed to figure that out?
Considering that those who have expressed their motivations have all fallen back on ‘it’s custom and therefore polite,’ and that no one has really offered up any other reason than trying to hit on someone, I think it’s fairly safe to assume that it either stems from the antiquated beliefs about the ‘fairer sex’ or they’re trying to hit on someone.
Unless you want to provide some other reasons…
I have yet to see someone give a reason for it other than 1) antiquated ‘fairer sex’ foolishness or 2) a conversation starter in order to hit on the female in question.
You wanna provide other reasons?
I’ve also yet to see a man here say that he would do the same thing for any able bodied man.
Before I would do that, I have to have a reason to think it’s not the case. Since so far, there have been no reasons given that are not based on ‘chivalry’, not by anyone, that won’t be possible. The defense of the gender-unequal ‘courtesies’ displayed here have done nothing but reinforce my idea that there is no other motivation behind these unequal ‘courtesies’.
