Destino

I’m not sure how they worked out the rights, but I can tell you two things.
One, I was in Barcelona a few months ago and took a side trip to the Teatro Dali, which was nothing short of amazing. One thing I found there was a small room showing a fantastic video on a loop - I watched it twice and then said to my partner “this is amazing, it’s like Dali meets Disney” My partner then pointed to the wall (that I’d ignored on entering) that said “Destino, a collaboration between Dali and Disney” Ok. teach me to read. I wanted badly to own this piece, but it wasn’t available for sale in the gift store, online, or anywhere else. Last month I had a friend over who had never seen Fantasia 2000, so we put it on. I noticed for the first time, in the part with Angela Landsbury, a reference to “Dali made a short, comparing life to baseball” that was rejected. “THAT IS DESTINO” I almost yelled.
Some more searching.
The new blu-ray release of Fantasia 2000 has it. It is on as a “bonus feature.”

We bought the disc, but have yet to buy a blu-ray player - that’s going to be once the tax returns are in. Yes, we are upgrading our entire home video system because of one film short.

It’s available. I don’t know how they worked it out from two massive estates, but they did. I highly recommend seeing it.

Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Boards, EPanther, we’re glad you found us. And thanks for the news on DESTINO.

For future ref, it’s helpful to other readers if you provide a link to the staff report you’re commenting on. Saves search time, and keeps us on the same page. In this case, I assume; Did Walt Disney and Salvador Dali once collaborate on a film? - The Straight Dope

No biggie, you’ll know for next time. And, as I say, welcome.

You can see a brief interview with Roy E. Disney (Walt’s nephew) about * Destino* here:
http://disney.go.com/videos/movies/?content=1782028. One thing is essential to know about Walt Disney (and The Walt Disney Company today). After losing his character Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to an unscrupulous business associate, he made sure he or his company owned the rights to the material he/they produced. I recommend the book Walt Disney; An American Original by Bob Thomas. It’s an interesting read about the development of Walt Disney, the art of animation, and the company that he founded.

I saw Destino in a Dali exhibit a year and a half ago, and I don’t remember anything about baseball in it.

You can watch it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRShLb49EhI
Quite beautiful and moving too, especially if you are familiar with Dali’s work.

Wow. I never thought I’d see it. Back in animation school, we thought that it was either lost or locked up, never to be released to the public on home video.