Did Kristen Stewart ruin her career?

She’s been doing indie movies long before Twilight and she doesn’t like all the fame anyway - she has enough money now to do whatever projects she wants. She’s probably in a better position now than she was before!

What was most surprising to me about all this was learning that Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson were actually dating.

I mean, I’d heard them referred to as a couple, but had assumed it was all an Old Hollywood-esque phony romance that had been created to help promote the Twilight movies.

Now her hurdle is winning back the millions of middle-aged housewives who can’t separate Kristen Stewart from her Twilight character. In my experience they far outnumber the teeny-boppers.

Even more important is that Robert Pattinson’s fame far outweighs any that Liberty Ross may have had. That only multiplies the attention that Stewart’s side is getting. To borrow a quote from my wife’s friend: “She didn’t just cheat, she cheated on Robert Pattinson!”

Meh, I think the “Twilight Moms” phenomenon has run its course. Stewart’s career will live or die by her future movie choices. By this time next year (when the last Twilight movie is released on DVD), everyone will have forgotten all about this affair.

Another vote for occasional acting skills, esp. in The Runaways. But a vote against her being hot. Quite plain looking to me. But that doesn’t seem to affect her career.

I am surprised that there is any discussion about this affecting her career. Why? Even in the 60s with Taylor/Burton type scandals it hardly mattered.

I’ve been appalled at the Kristen Stewart press coverage. Hollywood affairs and breakups happen all the time. Why Kristen Stewart has been singled out for such anger is confusing. Have we been transported back to Victorian times?

FWIW, I believe strongly in monogamy. It’s sad to see any marriage breakup in such a media glare. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes’ breakup is even more tragic because there is a six year old daughter being affected.

But, TMZ lists all the celebrity one night stands and busted relationships. Marking Kristen Stewart with the scarlet letter just isn’t right. Especially considering the conduct of other drug addled, bed hopping celebrities.

They all just go with one another like dogs, anyway, so who cares, other than the woman who married a Hollywood producer or some dude who’s eyebrows will get him laid for the rest of his life; and as long as they’re getting obscenely paid, they don’t give a shit , either. Nor should we.

The Twilight fandom is scary and unfathomable, and the fact that Stewart and Pattinson were in a relationship in reality only added to the fuel. When you consider that Twilight is a female wish fulfillment story and its fanbase prefers to imagine themselves in Kristen’s/Bella’s shoes of being Robert’s/Edward’s girlfriend, the outrage that Stewart would leave Pattinson becomes a bit clearer.

Pattinson was on the Daily Show this past week and Jon Stewart was overwhelmed at the number of girls who clearly did not care about his show who’d shown up to see Pattinson.

from the very wee bit i knew of this whole twilight/stewart/pattinson thing (what i’ve read on the sdmb) it seemed pattinson fell harder for her than she for him.

You simply have not been paying attention to the massive amounts of obsession for Robert Pattinson/Edward Cullen. She basically trampled all over the fantasies of millions of women.

This is so overblown and stupid, it must be a slow August. The only one I feel the slightest bit bad for is the director’s family.

As for Stewart and Pattinson, they never even came out and admitted they were a couple at all, did they? It was a mightly silent relationship. And if they were in a relationship, it was for publicity purposes only. To keep the Twi-hards interested until the last movie. That’s why I find all the hand-wringing over her “cheating” on him odd, I don’t think they were an actual couple at all. But, I suppose if either of them admitted it was fake, that would be much much worse, so they have to play it up as she: big ol’ cheatah, he: wounded cheated on boyfriend.

See, I almost thought the reverse. The cheating story was concocted to stir up publicity for the final Twilight film and once everything died down everything would be forgiven and they’d get on with their relationships. But your theory makes much more sense!

I don’t understand why you guys don’t think this would be news. Kristin Stewart is one of those stars with a wholesome reputation. She’s been in a relationship with the same guy for quite a while. She stars in a series that is all about how teens should refrain from sex until they are married. And then she goes out and has an affair with a married guy–a guy who isn’t even a star–a guy she’s flipping working for?

She’s disappointed quite a lot of people who are not as cynical as you guys are, and they are pissed. Throw in Patterson fans who were only accepting Stewart because she came off as a good girl, and of course a lot of hateful things are going to be said.

And, no, it’s not “poor girl.” This is a case of personal responsibility.

Kristen Stewart is a proud pothead who has a habit of playing headcases. “Wholesome” she’s not.

If this were a case of slut shaming, we’d be hearing a lot more about her partner in the affair, a married director who is old enough to be her father. For all her faults, Stewart is still technically single. This is slut shaming, pure and simple.

Why certain couples get a huge amount of press over their broken love life is mysterious. ~3 years ago there was a big deal over some stuff with LeAnn Rimes/Eddie Cibrian/Brandi Glanville. Only heard of the first one, don’t know, don’t care who did what to whom. Googled to just now to get their names. But I still see headlines about them. Apparently people are still upset about it all. Why? Who cares? I don’t think these are even A-listers. Of all the thousands of celeb cheating stories, why did this one get so much press and still hangs on?

We can’t really rule out PR flacks being behind keeping some of these scandals in the news. “I don’t care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right.” is still the mantra of Hollywood.

Tabloids still try to paint the picture that Jennifer Aniston is still not over her being dumped by Brad Pitt for Angelina Jolie. That happened 7 years ago! And I don’t think anybody outside of themselves even actually knows who dumped who and why, it’s still just speculation and it’s still being discussed. It’s lunacy.

Heh. Imagine if she’d left him not for some director, but for Taylor Lautner. :wink:

Meg Ryan was in a pretty comparable situation, and it pretty much ended her career–although encroaching middle age was also a factor. Kristen Stewart needs to do something to attract male viewers, fast. Nude scenes in a car crash comedy with Vin Diesel and Jake Galiafanakis might help.

Team Jacob wins!

But, yeah, better to distance herself from all things Twilightly, and if that means a lesbian scene with Kate Beckinsale, it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to watch… err… make.

Do you mean Zach Galafianakis or Jake Gyllenhaal? I guess either would work.