Did you know the Swedish Crown Princess got married yesterday (Saturday)?

I didn’t even know Sweden still had a monarchy. And I heard nothing about the wedding. But then, I seldom get to watch anything more comprehensive than Sesame Street News, so not representative of the USA as a whole.

Still, I do listen to NPR news and even “The World” so I’m a little surprised I could be so far behind. . .

I use the BBC news site as my front page. It was mentioned yesterday. Hadn’t known about it before then.

I thought at first Princess Madeleine might have gotten married, and that surprised me a little, but I had her confused with Victoria.

BBC sends me breaking news alerts on my phone. I’m not sure a royal marriage which obviously was planned some time in advance qualifies as “breaking news”, but there you go.

Ni but I kinda live under a rock. I did know that Sweden had a monarchy.

Edit: US is where I’m from.

Canadian. I don’t know any of the details, but I heard a blurb on CBC news to the effect that Royals from around Europe are gathering for the Royal Wedding in Sweden. So I googled the details.

Then again, Im a history buff, and know a bit about royal houses of Europe.

Yes. USA, from the BBC news website. Saw a photo and the headline, didn’t read anything else about it.

California. Found out yesterday from CNN’s front page. Friend says “Oh, she looks a little like Anne Hathaway!”

No (I’m in the US). I did know she was engaged, but didn’t know when the wedding was. The only TV I watched yesterday was MLB and the World Cup.

I did read People magazine this week, but it wasn’t mentioned in there. All they ever talk about is Prince William and Kate Middleton anyhow.

BBC news website for me. UK.

Today show, I think ,and a couple of internet news pages. US.

Here’s a video; I don’t speak Swedish, so…good luck! :smiley: But it seems fairly official release: very close up, good quality, including the words exchanged and all.

No; I’m in Canada.

Not only did I not know, I genuinely do not care now that I do.

eta: I’m in the US.

Stockholm. Drowned in it. Glad it’s over. Kick 'em to the curb anyway.

It’s been allllll over the Luxembourgish and German-language news as well. No escaping from it even here. And of course you’ve had it so much worse in Sweden; sorry about that. Can’t wait for the media frenzy to die down.

Wow, she’s hot. Glad I know now.

Thanks all who responded. Wow, more Yes than No, I wouldn’t have guessed that…!

It’s quite bizarre, actually. While I wish them all the best, I’m a republican, basically because I’m a firm believer in democracy, and even though the king has no formal power, monarchy goes against the funtamentals of democracy.

In spite of this wedding, and months of Swedish media sucking up to it, the support for the monarchy has gone down dramatically the last year or so in Sweden. (Cite.) That’s a good sign.

The king also married a commoner (Silvia.) - But that’s part of the problem with modern day monarchy. Everyone agrees that they should be like everyone else, marry whomever they want, do whatever they want, and figure in media like other celebrities, known only because of their heritage – then what’s the difference between the royal person and the (rich) commoner? It’s like Nietsche said, if they are not of higher nature, then why them, and not me? An so, “the die has been cast.”

So this is the problem for the monarchy: Either they act like they were of higher nature – and that won’t do anymore because we don’t believe in it anymore; or they don’t – and people ask themself, why them? I didn’t vote for them.

I don’t believe the Swedish monarchy last longer than the crown princess, this is probably the last royal marriage in Sweden.

The “blocking part” is not about being blocked from covering the wedding, but a proposed agreement that the sending part (Reuters et al) won’t own the picutures indefinitely; they have to buy that right. You may broadcast, but you have to pay extra to own the material. This is appearantly not uncommon practice in sports events, etc. (I’m no expert in these matters, this is what I’ve read.)

The other thing you mention has caused some heated discussions in Sweden. In Scandinavia it is an old tradition that the bride and the bridegroom walks up to the priest together. The anglosaxian tradition we know from American romcoms is that the father walks with the bride, and hands her over to the bridegroom at the priest. – Many sees the Scandinavian tradition as valuable, because it alludes to the relative gender equality that’s traditional of these parts of the world. They walk up to the priest as two free persons; the bride is not a possession the father gives to the bridegroom.
Now, when the crown princess wanted the anglosaxian way, people were upset because it is not a Swedish tradition (and this marriage is certainly a time for Swedish traditions), and it demonstrates values nobody agrees upon, and moreover, it is a tradition inspired of Hollywood rather than history.
As those who saw the YouTube clip someone linked to, the end result was a compromise: The king led the crown princess half way through, where the bridegroom took over, and bride and bridegroom walked together to the priest.

Wouldn’t want somebody to get kicked anywhere, but my God I’m glad it’s over too. Now, can we get back to the World Cup, please?

Yes. Norwegian, living in the UK. And I really couldn’t care less, but at least she seems to have done better for herself than her Norwegian cousins, who both married complete losers.

Event had coverage on Australian TV and radio news.

As a constitutional monarchy, there’s a common link.
Media here went positively dotty when Mary married into the Danish royal family.

Saw it on Stuff site and also in local paper (not surprising as Stuff owner also owns Waikato Times.)

In NZ.