[QUOTE=Lunar Saltlick]
[Bolding mine] This is the source of my confusion. I absolutely do not do what I want with our joint money. I clear stuff like that with my wife, unless it’s a ridiculously small expenditure. However, when I buy a ring, it’s my money, not our joint money, and I make a prudent purchase, not one that’ll later have me saying, sorry, I can’t do this or that, I blew all my money and went into debt to buy you a ring.
[/QUOTE]
A lot of this depends on the status of the couple and how they will handle money.
If we’ve agreed the “we should get married” and we’ve gone through the financial evaluations that are seldom done but prudent, and we agree that “we” will share finances - any significant change in those financial situations is worth knowing about.
i.e. We have the “we should get married” talk. We have a pretty good idea of where our finances sit. I have a little credit card debt, you have a student loan and a car payment. I have a little money in the bank, you have a little money in the bank. We know what our combined budget will look like. We know that when we get married, we will have a joint account and we will each get small allowances - not sufficient for major purposes but money you won’t be accountable to your spouse for. We agree that we want to buy a home (neither of us owns) and that saving for a home and furniture should be a very high priority. We also know that your car will need to be replaced in the next four years and that I’ve been delaying some uncovered dental work. We know we want to have kids in five years, and that we’d like one of us to be a SAHP.
Then we agree on a $5000-7000 ring.
You spend $10,000. What is getting delayed - my dental work, your car, the house, the kids? You’ve certainly made a major joint decision with money that isn’t technically “ours” but I’ve agreed will be “ours.”
Is that a big deal? - if you make $100,000 a year and have money in savings, maybe not - particularly not if I’m coming in broke - I don’t have a lot of room to complain. But if I’m coming in with the savings and the higher salary, and you are coming in already in debt - yeah, that could be a problem - maybe not, maybe I’m romantic and don’t care about a jewelry bill I’ll have to pay off.