Discussion thread for the "Polls only" thread (Part 1)

I just looked at the list for Switzerland and I haven’t been to any of them. But now I have some ideas for which restaurants to try next. I might have been to one outside of Switzerland, but that list is too long to search through.

I know I’ve been to a few 1 star restaurants in the area, as my friend wanted to go, and I agreed. Good food and definitely a different experience from a basic restaurant.

Never heard of them.

“Bib Gourmand” is another award that the Michelin Guide awards to restaurants; such a restaurant isn’t receiving a Michelin Star rating, but it’s still a prestigious award:

After looking at the lists of Michelen restaurants in San Francisco and Chicago, I have indeed been to at least two Bib Gourmand and three recommended restaurants. I was surprised to see that Gino’s East is on the recommended list, so they definitely don’t have to be fancy.

As far as I know, I’ve never been to a starred restaurant, though.

I just checked and discovered there are no Michelen starred restaurants in Seattle. So that surprises me.
According to one article, it’s because Michelen never evaluated any.

I’ve been to two that I know of. One in Scotland and one in Madeira. Both were good, but no better than plenty of other places I’ve been.

I’ve been to Disneyland (California) twice: once as a child and once as an adult. Both times it was hot, crowded, and expensive, and my enduring memories are of standing in endless lines, not of any of the rides. That’s going to be It for me unless I’m someday in a position to make a grandchild really happy by going.

Wow. Gino’s East opened a restaurant decades ago in Manhattan Beach (SoCal), and at the urging of a coworker from Chicago we ate there. I hated it. It closed not long after.

I hate Jack and Diane. Watered down puerile copy of Springsteen.

Didn’t know about the Bib Awards. Hey, Langer’s is a winner! I’ve eaten there many times. I’ve never had a pastrami sandwich even half as good.

Did that. Poll needs an option for “I hadn’t, but now I’m going to.” I have now changed my vote.

I’m not sure whether I’ve ever been to a starred restaurant. I’ve been to a couple of pretty high-class places as a guest, years ago. I didn’t ask either the host or the restaurant whether any stars were involved and if so how many; and I no longer remember the names of the places. And I’m not sure what the criteria are, so I don’t know whether I’ve been anywhere that deserved any particular number of stars.

We had a whole freakin’ thread about it: Starship's "We Built This City" - Why the hate?

I read the first Harry Potter book, watched two of the movies at home, then lost interest. It just wasn’t all that. So that’s my ‘other’ vote.

For Harry Potter, my wife was a big fan (prior to her less popular opinions being known), and I read through Goblet of Fire.

I reasonably enjoyed the first two, because they were good fun, with a bit of an interesting story. But as they became popular for adults as well, they complicated and “adulted” the world and story, which blew out my suspension of disbelief quickly. It seemed to me to want a combination of “take me seriously” and “overlook all my plot holes and inconsistencies because this is a kids book!”. My wife finished the series, but each book was less fun for her.

My “other” vote was similar – never read any of the books, saw the first few movies, and lost interest.

It’s not confusing to people who use it. Well, other than wondering how on earth some people might wonder if it means quarter past, it’s not confusing to people who use it.

Gino’s manhole-cover pizzas are not for everyone, I suppose, but I also suspect there may have been something lost in the translation. Pizzeria Uno tried expanding beyond Chicago, and the result was a pale imitation of the original.

You’re not kidding. I’d eaten at Uno in Chicago, which was good. Years later I tried one of their expansion joints in Santa Clara, CA and it was freaking awful. Never ate there again, and apparently I wasn’t the only one. There appears to be zero Unos in the Bay Area now.

I forced myself to read all seven Harry Potter books, even though I didn’t really like them. Just so I could understand all the pop culture references.

There’s just one drive-in left in Memphis. It had two screens originally but now has four. It’s a few miles from where I grew up. The only times I went there were in high school when my friends and I went through a horror movie phase. I remember seeing “Night of the Living Dead” and “Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things”.

The price is now $25 a car. That’s a good deal for a family or a bunch of teenagers. They do have a lot of special events like the monthly “time-warp cinema”. I suppose I could see getting some friends together to go sometime. Get high and munch on some junk food. I hadn’t really thought about it but it could be fun on a cool evening.

I’ve read all the HP books and seen all the movies, and liked them. That said, I’m unlikely to read or watch them again.
There are probably things an artist could do that would make me refuse to consume their art. Having an unenlightened and misguided opinion regarding transgendered people does not rise to that level.

I had to check, but there is indeed an operating drive-in theater in the Las Vegas area. It looks very cool, and I hope to check it out sometime.

I really enjoyed the first four Harry Potter books, and the film adaptations. But, starting with the fifth book, they got loooooonger, and darker, and I increasingly had a suspicion that Rowling didn’t really know how to finish the story arc that she’d started. All of that lessened my enjoyment of the later books (and the later movies, by extension).

Rowling’s anti-transgender stance has had an impact on me; I haven’t watched any of the Fantastic Beasts movies, and I don’t buy any Potter merchandise anymore. If I happen upon one of the first four films on TV, I may watch it, but I don’t go out of my way to re-watch the films, and I haven’t re-read the books in recent years.

I’d read the first book, and thought it was… okay.

I don’t think I’d seen any of the movies from start to finish.