Discussion thread for the "Polls only" thread (Part 3)

See the relevant new poll

I selected always, but to be clear, I do not always have a destination plugged in… It’s just the default map that pops up in my dashboard.

I check Sigalert almost every time, but that is before I start driving. I rarely use Waze when driving.

Why is the Boxer standing in a clearing? Shouldn’t he be in a ring, or a gym? What kind of Boxer stands in a clearing, says I.

The kind of boxer who is living rough.

What about the priest-king at Nemi? Okay, he has a sword, but…

Here’s a boxer standing in a clearing.

I use Waze 100% of the time. I like having real time traffic info even if I know exactly where I’m going. Waze seems to have the best real time information. The radio would be useless for this. Mostly it only covers major highways. The one that has the most accurate local info is right leaning populist so I’m not listening to that one. And I just like having a map to glance at.

I listen to terrestrial radio pretty often but 99% of the time it’s sports radio. I can’t remember the last time I listened to AM.

I know which congressional district i live in. I know approximately what territory it covers, and i know who is running. I know that i was recently redistricted from a nearby district (that most of my town is still in) to the one I’m in now.

Do i know what number it is called by? No. It’s never occurred to me to care about that, either.

I use Waze all the time. I’d actually use it less but my son likes to watch it while I drive.

I use it but often ignore it and just go the route I would have gone anyway. However I am very prone to getting lost, taking wrong turns etc so it’s good to have on just in case.

I used to be in TN 5, so I was going to get to vote against Andy Ogles[1]. Now I’m in TN 9, so I get to vote for Justin Pierson.


  1. Or rather the guy who beat him in the primary ↩︎

I know who my Congressman is, I know roughly what the district looks like (it’s a minority-majority Hispanic district, and has a strange shape, though it’s not quite as gerrymander-looking as it was before the last redraw), but I had no idea what its number was until I looked (IL-4).

I don’t remember the number of the district I’m in. I know who the representative is and the general lay out of the district but not the number. We moved here from another district a year ago and haven’t voted here in an election except for governor last year.

Just looked it up. Now I know.

We just had a special election in my congressional district, so I’m very familiar with its number.

I never use apps of any kind because I don’t have a smartphone.

If I’m driving to an unfamiliar location, I would look up the route in advance on a mapping website on my desktop. If it’s particularly complicated I might write it down, but it’s usually simple enough that I can remember it.

In the car I usually listen to music, audiobooks, or radio shows/podcasts that I’ve downloaded to to a USB drive. I occasionally listen to live radio. Decades ago the only talk radio station I cared to listen to was AM-only, but it’s since added an FM station from which it broadcasts simultaneously, so I listen to that now as the sound quality is better.

That’s funny - that’s the only time I DO listen to AM radio, for the occasional sports game.

In-car navigation

Until… just over a year ago actually, I didn’t have a car with built in navigation, so on long trips (over 100 miles) I had a a dash mount to hold my smartphone with a paired bluetooth dongle plugged into the car’s Aux jack.

I used Waze, which is still my preferred nav-app.

These days, my car demanded a paired phone from the get go, and I set Waze to the default nav, which comes up when I go anywhere. But I only actively use it if I need help getting someplace for the first time, or for traffic/accident reporting on longer and/or more congested drives.


Because of the above, I used to listen to FM radio frequently, especially if I wanted commute based traffic updates. Otherwise, I’d burn a new CD “mix tape” every year or so for the CD player. And in the prior car (pre-2004!) a cassette player, at least until it ate the cassette!

I didn’t listen to AM pretty much at all, I knew how to do it in my prior two cars, but not the current one. The last time was around 2002 or so when I was driving from Colorado Springs to visit family in the Texas Panhandle. There was quite a bit of nothing (still is) along that route where there was no perceptible FM signal, so I ended up listening to all sorts of crappy farm reports and weird stations to while away parts of the 450 miles or so drive.

By the next time I did it I had the car with the CD player!


My high school still exits, but with Major new expansions.

My junior high (converted to a middle school during my tenure, I was in the first class that attended 9th grade as High School), still exists, with more minor modifications.

I attended 3 (!) different elementary schools (my parents divorced unpleasantly when I was in 2nd grade) and I haven’t checked up on any of them. Wasn’t the best time for me, and I lack even intellectual curiosity about their fates.

Our 2015 car can receive AM radio. Doesn’t do us much good, since Switzerland turned off their last major AM transmitter in 2010. FM was supposed to be turned off later, but too many people complained, so there’s an extension.

As an overseas voter, I don’t live in my Congressional district. But the rules are that I get to vote according to the last place I lived. I voted in the primary and mailed my ballot on Sunday, so I currently know my Congressional district. Plus the incumbent’s been in the news. :frowning:

Turns out my 2025 EV has an AM radio. I flipped through a few stations, and didn’t hear anything i wanted to hear more of. So i didn’t set any of them. If one had had news, i might have saved it.

I’m pretty sure I recently saw a news article where automakers wanted to phase out AM radios but the government (the FCC?) mandated that they continue to provide them. I presume it probably has something to do with the Emergency Broadcast System, which itself probably requires an update.

ETA: it was congress passing a bill in the House, so I guess it’s not a requirement (yet).
U.S. House passes bill requiring AM Radio in new cars